Which engine.....diesel 240hp or petrol 250hp?

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
JasonKing

Re: Which engine.....diesel 240hp or petrol 250hp?

Post by JasonKing » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Jagfpacejk wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:05 pm
JasonKing wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:51 pm
Unfortunately can't find a way to edit the original post with the wrong year in it!! :shock:
;)
Much appreciated thank you! 8-)

JasonKing

Post by JasonKing » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks guys it's real world experience like that that I'm looking for. May have to go for the petrol. With my low mileage since retiring I'd probably be ok.

Bimjob

Post by Bimjob » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi Jason,
After seeing the F-Pace when it was first marketed I knew it was my next car. It is a really handsome car.
A lot of my journeys are shorter ones so when the petrol engines became available
I examined the options.
I enjoy driving and enjoy speed too.
My original thought was for the 300BHP version.
I took advice from learned friends who worried about that power through a smaller engine.
So I test drove the 250BHP engine. Blistering acceleration especially mid range and the gearbox is faultless.
In dynamic mode it is a wonderful beast and I decided to go for that.
No regrets. If the SVR V8 had been available when I ordered my car I would have thought about it.
But where could I really enjoy that power?
The 25T is a great engine and I went for the R-Sport options which are cracking.
I have little experience of the diesel options but I gather some cities will be banning them soon :(
Hope you enjoy your choice.
Best regards,
Bimjob
MY18 25T R-Sport Loire Blue

JasonKing

Post by JasonKing » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:04 pm

Hey Bimjob, thanks for the heads up on the 250bhp petrol version. It does seem popular, I just wonder how the performance compares to the diesel 240hp?

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:59 pm

Not sure about 250hp diesel. 3.0 diesel is quicker by about a second to 60mph but it also feels very powerful mid range due to the staggering amount of torque - 700nm - roughly the same as that produced by the SVR V8. It's still only 300 bhp though. There is turbo lag though which you get used to but it is a high speed cruiser that eats motorway miles in style and quietness. In the original reviews for the F Pace when new, many reviewers chose the 3.0d as the ideal engine for the car but, that was before they were branded dirty diesels. I test drove the 25d but didn't like the taxi like noise from the engine and what I perceived to be a lack of ooompphh. I think the petrol 25t would be a lot sweeter proposition if you also do relatively low mileage.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Rusk

Post by Rusk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:58 pm

It is strange times at the moment where many people are being brainwashed to pick the apparently more environmentally friendly route of petrol even through diesel get was better MPG.

I have a friend that is torn between a petrol hybrid or a 2.0D option (neither Jags). He will cover over 100k miles in the 3 years he will have the car so MPG is basically the most important thing. The petrol hybrid is the better car and he loves it BUT it will cost him several thousand more pounds a year to run due to the lower MPG. The diesel get way higher MPG yet is cast as the dirty option.

If you do low miles I would go petrol all day. You never know what the value of a diesel car will be in a year or two with all this diesel shaming going on. The moment a single city ban diesel then the value will drop big time, even if it is only one city people will never go to.

I think you are luck in the F-Pace as there are a couple of good options for petrol. Some SUV simply don't make any sense with anything other than a big torquey diesel.
Current: F-Pace SVR :twisted:
Sold: 2018 F-Pace S 3.0D

JOCK55

Post by JOCK55 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:14 pm

I personally think you should be considering an EV with that sort of milage. How about a nice I-Pace????
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.

Bimjob

Post by Bimjob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi Jason,
I remember testing the engine and on the M50-with very little traffic looking suddenly at the speedo.
The car was gliding at an unmentionable speed and so quiet. That's when I made my decision that I didn't need more.
And I love acceleration. The 300BHP petrol is I'm sure a wonderful engine too. I asked my salesperson-who I did rate-what he thought of the 2-
he told me very little difference. However the SVR is a very different car-though I have not driven it. Perhaps I should :) The roar of the engine is mentioned once or twice on this forum. The body styling is a step up even from the handsome 25T R-Sport-in Loire blue.
I did think about the I-Pace but too small for the stuff I do and no serious charging options except at home.
Hope you make the right choice-and people on this forum enthuse about the heated steering wheel which was an option I didn't consider. Rubber boot mat is a good option for me-but be careful you could spend wads on extra kit!
Cheers,
Bimjob
MY18 25T R-Sport Loire Blue

JasonKing

Post by JasonKing » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. Will give it some thought.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:36 pm

JasonKing wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:40 pm
Jagfpacejk wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:05 pm
JasonKing wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:51 pm
Unfortunately can't find a way to edit the original post with the wrong year in it!! :shock:
;)
Much appreciated thank you! 8-)
You Welcome.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6