Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Service Plans - Stopped

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  JAGFlubster 
#1 ·
I just bought my 3ltr Diesel F Pace at the end of November & was going to add the Service Plan within 90 days of delivery; I've just been told by my local dealer that JLR have stopped doing these!

They have quoted me £473.81 for a minor service & £635.46 for a major verses the 5 year Service Plan for £825, the only plus side is that I won't have to pay anything for 12 months! :shock:

#2 ·
I noticed they'd vanished from the configurator.
Part of my negotiation with my dealer for buying the SVR from them was that I got the 5 year service plan free.
I wonder if they'll still keep their part of the deal and cover the costs of my services?

#3 ·
p3eps said:
I noticed they'd vanished from the configurator.
Part of my negotiation with my dealer for buying the SVR from them was that I got the 5 year service plan free.
I wonder if they'll still keep their part of the deal and cover the costs of my services?
I will be very surprised if they did, it would cost the dealer a lot of money as SVR services are normally more expensive then the standard models.

Keep us posted.

I think they have stopped the service plans as they were losing money on them and current JLR are not in the best financial position, it will hurt sales as people like the idea of fixed one of service cost, I for one would not buy a car without one.

#4 ·
Loosing money, lots of it, my first service invoice was for around £450 if Jaguar were paying the dealer full invoice price it is a money pit, on top of that any warranty work. I foresee further problems for JLR they have dug themselves a big hole, it won't do the brand credibility any good at all.

#5 ·
If the offer was valid at time of purchase do they (JLR) not have to honour it? Is the offer on any of the paper work you received with the car, if it is then would that not commit them to allowing you to purchase the plan within the 90 days?

I'm not a lawyer, but morally at least I would have thought they would be obligated.

#6 ·
Jim said:
FP Steve B said:
I just bought my 3ltr Diesel F Pace at the end of November & was going to add the Service Plan within 90 days of delivery; I've just been told by my local dealer that JLR have stopped doing these!

They have quoted me £473.81 for a minor service & £635.46 for a major verses the 5 year Service Plan for £825, the only plus side is that I won't have to pay anything for 12 months! :shock:
If the offer was valid at time of purchase do they (JLR) not have to honour it? Is the offer on any of the paper work you received with the car, if it is then would that not commit them to allowing you to purchase the plan within the 90 days?

I'm not a lawyer, but morally at least I would have thought they would be obligated.
Have you signed any paperwork with this stated on the paperwork, if you have not got anything signed then I am sure they do not have to honour anything, not great I am afraid.

#7 ·
Oh, that's not good. I've ordered the 3.0 S and was going to add the service plan when it comes next month.

Beginning to have second thoughts about Jaguar ownership and this may be the final nail in the coffin. Going to contact the dealer and find out what's going on... :(

#8 ·
I didn't have the Service Plan on any paperwork as I was going to add it later; I did this with my Discovery Sport. Just S*ds Law that this has happened within my first 8 weeks of ownership! :cry:

#10 ·
nphe9974 said:
Reflection of JLR's financial position, they made a £3.4bn loss last quarter according to the Times today.

Get ready for heavy discounting and cheap lease deals to get volumes up...
Or more cut backs of staff or the company up for sale. ;)

#11 ·
For Sale? JLR are very vulnerable to a takeover, the kind of headlong expansion that has been attempted has its risks, just one pillar of the structure weakened makes the whole business shaky. The collapse in China along with sadly lacking management control and very poor reliability has been a big blow to the whole company, maybe TATA will stick with it although they do have problems in other areas in the UK.

As for a buyer, there is only one, China, they seem to be doing a decent job with Volvo, although you can never tell the reality of the business because everything that happens in China is Communist Party Policy. They might even have engineered the collapse in sales, call me cynical if you like but Land Wind Evoques certainly have not helped.

#12 ·
I think the issue is the narrow product range - diesel suv's and a couple of old fashioned saloons that no one buys any more. Poor reliability and crazy pricing doesn't help. Once the aspirational and trendy types move from RR's onto something else that's a big problem.

#13 ·
nphe9974 said:
Reflection of JLR's financial position, they made a £3.4bn loss last quarter according to the Times today.

What has any of this to do with stopping the Service Plan?

£3.1bn of the headline £3.4bn loss is an accounting adjustment on capital value of factory premises, plant and equipment, it has very little to do with sales figures. While the actual number of car sales at JLR are down, they are actually only down by slightly less than 10,000 cars, from 154,447 to 144602, according to a report on the BBC business news website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47155145. In the last Qtr of 2018 they still posted sales values of £6.2 billion, against £6.3 billion for the same Qtr the year before. So, just to get this thread back on topic, the stopping of the Service Plan might be disappointing and inconvenient to some, but it's not indicative of anything more fundamental.

#14 ·
catwoman said:
nphe9974 said:

What has any of this to do with stopping the Service Plan?

£3.1bn of the headline £3.4bn loss is an accounting adjustment on capital value of factory premises, plant and equipment, it has very little to do with sales figures. While the actual number of car sales at JLR are down, they are actually only down by slightly less than 10,000 cars, from 154,447 to 144602, according to a report on the BBC business news website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47155145. In the last Qtr of 2018 they still posted sales values of £6.2 billion, against £6.3 billion for the same Qtr the year before. So, just to get this thread back on topic, the stopping of the Service Plan might be disappointing and inconvenient to some, but it's not indicative of anything more fundamental.
Ouch.

Why do you think they wrote down the assets ? Maybe because the expected value of future sales means they are no longer worth the carrying value in the accounts.

Presumably they stopped the service plan because it was costing JLR too much money and contributing to the losses they are making month in, month our because the sales have gone off a cliff and the costs are too high.

Just my view, you don't have to agree, but there must be a link...

#15 ·
I spoke to my dealer who is going to honour the service plan so good news for me. Turns out it's not JLR that take the hit on these plans but the dealers themselves so not convinced the cancelling of them was to actually help JLR's "struggles" at all... More likely the dealers who've apparently been up in arms about them.

#16 ·
This remains to be seen, so don't hold me or the dealer to it, but he thinks the service plans will be relaunched in March/April but wont be a set price, rather they may be tailored to each individual customers needs. I suppose a high mileage diesel will need more services that a low mileage one etc. If it happens I'm not sure how that will affect pricing but by definition a service plan implies some sort of discount on the 5 year cost.

#17 ·
BaldersPlan said:
I spoke to my dealer who is going to honour the service plan so good news for me. Turns out it's not JLR that take the hit on these plans but the dealers themselves so not convinced the cancelling of them was to actually help JLR's "struggles" at all... More likely the dealers who've apparently been up in arms about them.
Not sure this is true at all. My dealer tells me that they are going to replace the JLR plan with their own. The implication being that the stopped plan was supported by JLR at a group level.

Flub!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.