Help Please - Burning Smell

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
FP Steve B

Help Please - Burning Smell

Post by FP Steve B » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm

I have an F Pace 3ltr diesel which is about 6 weeks old & has done about 1100 miles. I have been gradually increasing the revs & load on the engine as part of the running in process.

I have notice recently that I am getting a smell like oil on something hot like the old Castrol Oil smell for those of you that remember it. It is only noticeable when I am parking up, ie not when I am driving. It is not like the sooty smell that I used to get on my Discovery Sport during DPF regeneration. I have noticed recently that my MPG went down which could be a sign of the DPF cycle.

I have had the engine checked for leaks & there is nothing visible on my garage floor, I am not losing oil according to the electronic dip stick. There are no warning lights & it has only happened 2 or 3 times so far.

I did see that there was a similar thread on here a couple of years ago that referenced this but wanted to check with you all.

Thanks 8-)
Delivered 28/11/18, 3.0d V6 Portfolio Auto AWD, Fuji White, Ebony Windsor Leather Electric Seats, Adaptive LED lights.
Gone: LR Discovery Sport 180, Holden Clubsport R8 6.2ltr V8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra V8. 8-)

June16

Re: Help Please - Burning Smell

Post by June16 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:31 pm

Only other issue appart from DPF smell is the fan for air con drawing in exhaust from the turbo to exhaust seal ( same as on Disco) . That would explain the smell when stopped.

Probably best to see the dealer to check the vehicle.

Could be it’s first regeneration too though as DPF is completely empty when brand new so the time to first regeneration is slightly later interval than each subsequent one. It would be the first time it’s got really hot down the exhaust line.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Mine has a bit of a smell externally after parking up and its the same model. I have just done 8000 miles. You notice it when getting out of the car but never inside and it is usually when the car is warm/hot after a run of some distance. I assumed it was brake discs/pads or similar but it could well be the DPF after regeneration cycle as it isn't consistently there - last noticed yesterday during a trip from Dundee to London so a long, high speed motorway journey but, it is there sometimes on shorter journeys too. Its a hot metal vaguely chemical type smell. Car drives superb otherwise and no leaks of any kind so I have decided its a feature :D
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:38 pm

When i had my new 3 litre Fpace from new the car did what you describe and did for a number of weeks while it burnt off the coatings on the engine.

Perhaps yours is doing the same, smelt quite bad when parked up.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Barthog

Post by Barthog » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am

Ditto mine has same smell, noticed first few weeks inside car.
Now mainly after parking on exiting or walking past front grill.
Decided it’s a charistic feature until it either burns off whatever it is or if something is leaking then when it runs out.
Then the warning light will let me know whatever is broken.
Hopefully.
Just done 3000 miles!
M19 3.0 S Caesium Blue, Black Pack, 10 Way/4 way lumbar/ Jet/Light Oyster, 20" Grey Blades, Pano roof, ICT Pro 380W,
Adap Dynamics, Keyless Entry, Rear View Cam, Privacy glass, Heated Screen/Jets, Service/Pack, Apple CarPlay, Tracker,
Born 3/10/18

FP Steve B

Post by FP Steve B » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:22 am

Thanks for the replies, at least I know that the smell isn't something to get too worried about; my dealer in Norwich sent me a video of them doing a health check under the vehicle, so at least I know they had a good look around the car underneath! 8-)
Delivered 28/11/18, 3.0d V6 Portfolio Auto AWD, Fuji White, Ebony Windsor Leather Electric Seats, Adaptive LED lights.
Gone: LR Discovery Sport 180, Holden Clubsport R8 6.2ltr V8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra V8. 8-)

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”