Leaving car idle

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
Spurslad

Leaving car idle

Post by Spurslad » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi all. I'm going on holiday for four months and was wondering can I leave my f pace idle the whole time? Or should I get my mum to start it and run it once a week ( she's not comfortable taking it for a drive). Any replies much appreciated

KeithL

Re: Leaving car idle

Post by KeithL » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:21 pm

Will the car be parked inside or outside? If inside then I would suggest you connect a battery charger/conditioner to it for the duration as I suspect he battery will go flat over that period. I use a CTEK MXS 5.0 for my cars. You may still be able to do this if the car is outside depending where it is parked and availability of power sockets.
2017 2.0 i4 Diesel (180PS) AWD Portfolio in Indus Silver with ICTP

car detailer

Post by car detailer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:31 pm

I have my f pace under a car cover to protect it from the weather an when it is a nice day I take it for a drive just to get the wheels moving bring it home give it a clean and put it back under cover I have sat my f pace for 4 weeks without a problem before

my advice would be have a look at some professional car storage facilitys espesially windrush car storage these guys are excellent
jaguar f pace in caesium blue with black pack white and black leather black headlining and gloss black 20 inch venom wheels for nice weather and a Suzuki celerio for bad weather and a huge smile

Spurslad

Post by Spurslad » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was just going to leave it in my mother's drive and get her to start it once in a while. Now I'm not so sure

billwright

Post by billwright » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi

Lots of info available on the net, although not model specific.

For example https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/laying-up

The obvious things are 1. brim the tank, especially if petrol, fumes are more dangerous than liquid; 2. Raise the car if possible, to avoid the weight at a single point of the tyre. Being off the ground removes any problems if pressure is lost. 3. SORN the car and get a refund on the VED for the extended period its not used. 4. Don't leave the handbrake on. 5. I would remove the battery completely from the vehicle. This saves the hassle of keeping the vehicle on trickle charge etc, plus makes it more difficult to steal.

Catmad

Post by Catmad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi Spurslad, The best thing is to have (convince0 your mother to start it up and take it for a long enough drive to get he engine up to operating temperature. Cars do not like to be ide as tyres develop hot spots, discs corrode, batteries run flat etc etc. Best life for a car is to be driven regularly!
2.0D Prestige 180 AWD Auto Italian Racing Red

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Spurslad wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:13 pm
Hi all. I'm going on holiday for four months...
Holiday . . 4 months! . . . :shock: . . . not sure I can even get my poor overworked head around that as a concept!
. . . well, have a nice time and send us a postcard! ;)

As for the car, it won't do it much good if it's stood for that length of time. At least start the engine and move it a little bit so the tyres don't sit on one spot for too long otherwise they'll likely deform. A little 'tab' of masking tape placed on each wheel rim at the six o'clock position enables you to see that you've rotated the wheels sufficiently when you park back up. Get a trickle charge conditioner for the battery through the coldest months to keep it's charge topped up, which is far better for it than leaving it to lose all it's charge - a fully depleted battery will never hold it's recharge, it'll just die on you. Brakes may seize and disks may corrode if the car is left outside for that length of time without being driven.
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

Spurslad

Post by Spurslad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks all. Much appreciated

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:45 pm

This maybe useful,

Some of the listed items you may not need to do but it gives you a reference.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... ver-winter

Must say your lucky to be going on a 4 month holiday, where you off to?
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”