Another goodbye F-Pace

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
Nubbin

Another goodbye F-Pace

Post by Nubbin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:54 am

Well, after a year of fun in my F-Pace, I finally admitted I didn't like the jiggly low speed ride, and I have not enjoyed the slightly manic lower gear ratios which do not match the nature of the 3l supercharged engine, and most importantly my personal circumstances have changed (retired) so longer distance touring is far more likely over the next few years. My wife has kept quiet about these issues but agrees absolutely that she does not like the car for the same reasons.

So, after about 3 minutes of discussion with SWMBO, I was given permission to p/ex the F-Pace for a brand new Range Rover, and we took delivery last Friday. Obviously we took a large hit on the exchange, but so far I have to say it has been a good decision. The facelifted full fat RR is a joy to be in and poles apart from the F-Pace although having very similar software means acclimatising to the RR has been a doddle.

I liked the f-Pace but crucially I couldn't get to love it. The seats and leather were superb, it was lovely to have a brand new car and I have always had a soft spot for Jaguar the company. Still, onwards and upwards! I have a few bits to go on sale (mats basically) which I'll put on the ads.

Good luck to everyone, Happy Christmas to all, and I hope your F-Paces stay reliable and you get all the possible enjoyment out of your cars that you can!
2018 380bhp V6 S. Carpathian grey, 20" gloss black wheels, black pack, LCD dash, LED signature headlights, privacy glass, panoramic roof, black/oyster leather, oyster headlining, InTouch Pro, 18-way memory seats, many shiny bits!

Jagfpacejk

Re: Another goodbye F-Pace

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Good luck with your new car.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

ksf

Post by ksf » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:05 pm

bye bye :)

MyV6Jag

Post by MyV6Jag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Hm. I can't say I've experienced the same as you describe for the petrol S.
Very smooth and no jiggliness at low speed.....
Good luck with the RR though. ;)
:o :o :o
3L Supercharged V6 Petrol, Ammonite Grey, Privacy Glass, Black 22" Double Helix 15 Spoke, Jet/Red Interior, Sliding Panaromic Roof, Black Pack

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:10 pm

MyV6Jag wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:48 pm
Hm. I can't say I've experienced the same as you describe for the petrol S.
Very smooth and no jiggliness at low speed.....
Good luck with the RR though. ;)
Have to agree I did not have the same issues either, maybe it was faulty. :?:
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

adeolly

Post by adeolly » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:04 pm

Have to agree with the OP, the ride on my R-Sport is really jiggly at anything below 50, and is the only thing I'm really disappointed with on the car. There is a stretch of road near where I live that is very uneven but is reasonably quick. I used to drive it at 50-55 no problem in my prior cars (Audi A4 allroad, 2 x XFs) and whilst you could tell the suspension was working hard the body movement was fairly subtle. In the F-Pace it's anything but subtle. Went down the road the other weekend with the kids and they were in peels of laughter as they were bounced around the rear seats... :cry: I'm hoping that some different rubber will help; Michelin Cross Climates I think.
MY19, 2.0D AWD, R-Sport, Polaris, LEDs, Piemento, power fold mirrors, 380W Meridian, TFT instruments, power seats, space saver... excellent ITCP 18C now with Apple CarPlay

Markotley

Post by Markotley » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 am

Put it Dynamic or Sport mode that will firm up the suspension.
3L Supercharged - Pro Touch - 20" Venom Wheels - Adaptive Cruise + Queue - Adaptive Surface Response - Surround Cameras -Head Up - Prac. Pack - Ultimate Black - Heated Steering Wheel - LED Lights

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:12 am

Failing that less rubber between wheel and road also firms up ride and minimises SUV bounce. It isn't a saloon though, it has a higher centre of gravity so the ride will be different to previous cars you mention.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

adeolly

Post by adeolly » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:16 pm

Smitten wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:12 am
Failing that less rubber between wheel and road also firms up ride and minimises SUV bounce. It isn't a saloon though, it has a higher centre of gravity so the ride will be different to previous cars you mention.
The car is bouncing around as the suspension setup is very stiff not too soft. Bigger wheels would make it even worse.
My car is running on 255/55 tyres - so plenty of sidewall height to cushion the ride. Also plenty of scope for wheel travel in those wheel arches. Jaguar have set the car up for handling not comfort, and it does handle very very well with pin sharp steering (way better than the Audi) which is an absolute joy, but they've really had to firm up the suspension to the detriment of ride comfort to achieve this to counteract the higher centre of gravity and the weight of the car. I wish I'd specified the adaptive dampers.

My wife runs a Discovery Sport on similar profile tyres and I'm used to that higher centre of gravity effect. The ride in her car is massively better than my F-Pace. Driving that lane I referred to before in her DS is a much more settled experience, but of course it doesn't handle as well. I could give other examples, such as the concrete section of M25 where the car really thuds over every joint at speeds below at least 50, and the tyres drone badly as well. Much quieter and more relaxing in the DS on that section of road.

Just to add, this is just my personal opinion. I like a modicum of ride comfort and for me the F-Pace is the wrong side of the line. I'm hoping some different all season rubber will help remove some of the harshness and noise that the P-Zeros transmit and introduce some compliance into the setup.

in all other respects I love the car :D :D
MY19, 2.0D AWD, R-Sport, Polaris, LEDs, Piemento, power fold mirrors, 380W Meridian, TFT instruments, power seats, space saver... excellent ITCP 18C now with Apple CarPlay

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:37 am

Having swapped from a F-Pace to a Velar with pneumatic suspension, the ride is much smoother in the Velar but at the expense of the handling and cornering. I doubt if you can have both stiffness for handling and softness for comfort at the same time.
Ex 2016, MY17 - 2.0 D, Portfolio - Dec 2018 RR Velar D300 HSE R-Dynamic

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”