New F Pace on its way...which diesel fuel?

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
FP Steve B

Re: New F Pace on its way...which diesel fuel?

Post by FP Steve B » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. 8-)
Born 16/11/18, 3.0d V6 Portfolio Auto AWD, Fuji White, Ebony Windsor Leather Electric Seats, Adaptive LED lights.
Gone: LR Discovery Sport 180, Holden Clubsport R8 6.2ltr V8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra V8. 8-)

Catmad

Post by Catmad » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:25 am

I always use cheapest and have clocked up over 200,000 mls on successive XF's (3.0D V6) and now at 26,000 on my F-Pace without issue (touch wood).
So can only conclude that Jaguar Diesels are quite happy with cheap stuff!
2.0D Prestige 180 AWD Auto Italian Racing Red

chastt

Post by chastt » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:16 pm

There's absolutely no performance or economy difference between supermarket & premium diesel -until an old* engine which has been run on the supermarket stuff begins to clog up. Anyone who thinks there is has been misinformed or has conducted unscientific tests of their own.
*I'm afraid I don't know how long an engine needs to be run on supermarket fuel to start to clog up, so use of the word 'old' is very subjective.
2.0ltr Polaris White F-Pace for the commute and 3.0S Italian Racing Red F-Type for the weekend

big jon

Post by big jon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:24 pm

chastt wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:16 pm
There's absolutely no performance or economy difference between supermarket & premium diesel -until an old* engine which has been run on the supermarket stuff begins to clog up. Anyone who thinks there is has been misinformed or has conducted unscientific tests of their own.
*I'm afraid I don't know how long an engine needs to be run on supermarket fuel to start to clog up, so use of the word 'old' is very subjective.
i think you are correct and if you are using supermarket fuel and a lot of short stop start journeys it will clog up sooner. IMHO.
R sport, AWD Auto, White, black pack,, dynamics pack, panoramic roof, ICTP 380, folding mirrors,20"black venoms and much more

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:59 pm

It may be worth watching these videos regarding premium fuels.

Petrol -

Diesel -

The presenter suggests some very slight benefits from premium petrol, outweighed by the extra costs, and apparently no benefits from premium diesel over the standard product except to the fuel companies profits :lol:

There are some older videos that still imply that premium diesel fuels may give a small improvement in much the same way as the premium petrol (<5%) but still less than the extra cost.

This one from 5th Gear should be a fair test as the tests are done in a consistent way. Though unless one is driving on a race track it is unlikely that they would need maximum power for any length of time, if at all, on most journeys. So the 'improvement' would be a marginal increase in mpg, though again less than the extra cost.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:01 pm

I worked in the additives industry a few years ago. There is a big difference in the detergent quality used and also the dosing. (Regular branded fuels have a keep clean dose, super fuels have a clean up dose). The additive companies run fleets of field test vehicles to validate their formulations.
Any branded diesel will be fine. At one point I ran the Octavia exclusively on Ultimate (I had a 6p per L discount) it was definitely quieter, more lively
And around 2mpg better on fuel.
Mark

FP Steve B

Post by FP Steve B » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:54 am

Thanks for the replies; I am going to put in 'normal' Shell or BP diesel & V power or Ultimate every 3 or 4 fills especially as there is a 12p per litre difference at the moment!! 8-)
Born 16/11/18, 3.0d V6 Portfolio Auto AWD, Fuji White, Ebony Windsor Leather Electric Seats, Adaptive LED lights.
Gone: LR Discovery Sport 180, Holden Clubsport R8 6.2ltr V8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra V8. 8-)

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”