Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

New car delays - WLTP?

35K views 86 replies 16 participants last post by  JJansson 
#1 ·
Hi. I've just been informed by my dealer that my car whilst built on schedule can't be released because Jaguar hasn't sorted itself out yet under the new WLTP requirements. I understand this is something to do with exhaust emissions - but I didn't follow all he said. The delivery date is pushed back until August. Apparently no new cars will be released until JLR have complied with the new requirements.

Anyone know any more about this? Seems odd that JLR have been caught out like this....

#2 ·
Morning OJH

If that's the case, consider holding on til Sept 1st to register it and take delivery, I know some say take and enjoy but it'll get you onto the next reg if that's suitable for you. I considered waiting 2 years ago when I got mine in July, but I took the plunge and grateful I did, I've had 2 years great motoring, but if the delivery is mid August then it may be better for you.

#4 ·
Gato Grande said:
Morning OJH

If that's the case, consider holding on til Sept 1st to register it and take delivery, I know some say take and enjoy but it'll get you onto the next reg if that's suitable for you. I considered waiting 2 years ago when I got mine in July, but I took the plunge and grateful I did, I've had 2 years great motoring, but if the delivery is mid August then it may be better for you.
I agree with Gato Grande, above, just wait the extra week or so, it will pay dividends when you come to sell the car later in its life. I was offered the "opportunity" to take my car on 27th August but have it registered on an 18 plate or wait until 1st September and take it on a 68 plate. Asked the dealer what difference it would make and his response was probably about £600 more resale value after 3 years for a 68 over an 18 registration. It's a no brainer, really!

Jock

#5 ·
HI

I Have the same issue. The dealer says the car can't be released until JLR sort out the WLTP stuff. I find this a bit confusing as the new emissions and fuel consumption figures have been published on the configurator for some weeks now. So you would have thought that the paper work would have been finalised?
All in all I'm a bit peeved with the whole thing as I ordered the car in March and was promised last two weeks in May delivery, I factored in a few weeks delay and this looks like it could be a couple of months.
I'm going Europe in Beginning of July and I'm going to be doing some miles through various countries. I don't think I can fit everything into the wife's golf!!
If it doesn't appear soon, I'm not sure what to do? Cancel the order and by a another car that's in stock with another dealer?
I've explained my dilemma and need for a car by July, but I'm still waiting for a call back from the dealer, that was a week ago!!

#7 ·
Thanks Catwoman. I'm all for keeping dealers on their toes but I'm not sure what more we can do but wait. Unless dealers aren't being honest about JLR's position with WLTP, it seems there is little more they can do. I'm in a similar boat as the other poster - we were due to have our car by early July and had planned to go away in the first weeks of August and to take the new car - that now looks less likely with a new date for delivery being between 1-6 August. I've been assured that as soon as there is news then they will let me know. I don't know what extra pressure I can apply....

#8 ·
I ordered my F Pace in March and it was delayed from the very beginning missing the last slot for MY18 builds and then had to wait for MY19 options and prices to come through to then have to reorder. I've been promised a July build with Aug delivery but as most say I'll likely not have it until September with the plate change.

#9 ·
I'm in the same position my car was built on the 21st June, I was able to watch it go through the lines, delivery has now been given as the first week in August. This a problem for all JLR models they are all on hold. I have done a lot of research and I can't understand why they are holding cars they were built to order as the requirement comes in on the 1st of September.

All manufacturers are having the problems VW are stopping production on some models for 2 days a week till they have been done, BMW have dropped at least one M3 model, Porsche are not accepting build your own orders on any model. If you check the www.vca.gov.uk web site and check fuel consumption and car TAX etc JLR only have MY 18 except the iPace which means VCA haven't approved any of the diesel or petrol cars.

In the new regulations each model variant including options has to be tested so a sport with 20" wheel and standard audio would be one test and if the audio is upgraded that is another that means the manufacture have had to supply tests for all variant and all options that effect weight, electrical consumption etc as this has an affect on fuel consumption and emissions.

I was under the impression that JLR like all manufacturers in the UK have a two week shutdown in August so I would think they would want this sorted so they can get the deliveries rolling again before then. If they don't get approval that would mean a complete shutdown of production for JLR or any model that doesn't get its WLPT results approved/accepted as the new vehicle do meet Euro6 it's just they must also have an approved set of WLTP results.

#10 ·
If JLR (and other car cos) can't sell cars due to these regs, it's a pretty fundamental issue. Any idea if this is just a timing issue, or if this is going to cause real problems for some companies?

#11 ·
Reggraham said:
I'm in the same position my car was built on the 21st June, I was able to watch it go through the lines, delivery has now been given as the first week in August. This a problem for all JLR models they are all on hold. I have done a lot of research and I can't understand why they are holding cars they were built to order as the requirement comes in on the 1st of September.

All manufacturers are having the problems VW are stopping production on some models for 2 days a week till they have been done, BMW have dropped at least one M3 model, Porsche are not accepting build your own orders on any model. If you check the www.vca.gov.uk web site and check fuel consumption and car TAX etc JLR only have MY 18 except the iPace which means VCA haven't approved any of the diesel or petrol cars.

In the new regulations each model variant including options has to be tested so a sport with 20" wheel and standard audio would be one test and if the audio is upgraded that is another that means the manufacture have had to supply tests for all variant and all options that effect weight, electrical consumption etc as this has an affect on fuel consumption and emissions.

I was under the impression that JLR like all manufacturers in the UK have a two week shutdown in August so I would think they would want this sorted so they can get the deliveries rolling again before then. If they don't get approval that would mean a complete shutdown of production for JLR or any model that doesn't get its WLPT results approved/accepted as the new vehicle do meet Euro6 it's just they must also have an approved set of WLTP results.
Not happy, my F Type is built but not yet released due to this. Was hoping for a pickup in mid July but that looks unlikely now if what you say is true. That's going to create some backlog!

AJL

#12 ·
The crazy thing is JLR start their summer sale on the 6th - 8th July expecting those sales to be registered by the 30th September with the backlog dealers have got now and the fact that they may have made 100's of sales in May and June and there will be no income until delivery and all those cars will need to be registered first. All the manufactures are in the same boat but JLR appear to be a bit worse off as it is all of their models that are effected so no Land Rovers, Range Rovers or Jaguars have shipped that were built to MY19. They will be moaning soon that they had a bad summer no new car sales. It's not just affecting sales I was told by my dealer that they were not able to offer any new lease contracts as they cannot guarantee to fill them.

#13 ·
Reg,

How are you getting on with extricating your car out of Lode Lane? I have an F-Pace due into build in the next 2 weeks, wonder if this is going to happen now. I have asked the question of my dealer and they are playing dumb. I would just like to find out.

Cheers,

Jock

#14 ·
I spoke to the dealer yesterday - my car was built on 22 June - there is no change and the beginning of August remains the indicative delivery time (they gave the expected caveats around the delivery date ). Until the relevant government agency completed whatever checks it needs to then no new cars are being released. My dealer said he hoped to see some cars start to move through the system over the next 2-3 weeks but was not overly optimistic. Seems that new car delivery has ground to a halt. I'm not terribly impressed but I'm not sure what I can do to push for progress. We are in the hands of government agency which is never a happy place to be.

#15 ·
I think Jaguar were well aware that this was going to happen back in May, I didn't take much notice but when I ordered my car I asked for a brochure. The one I was given was MY18 so I thought I'd download the latest brochure the site said coming soon and still does today. So they new in May that they didn't have type approval hence no written brochures, they just didn't tell the buyers in May that they were looking at a 3 - 4 month delivery time. It will obviously improve but that doesn't help us mugs who believed the dealer when he said it was averaging one month maybe they already knew they are just playing dumb.

#16 ·
OJH1973 said:
I spoke to the dealer yesterday - my car was built on 22 June - there is no change and the beginning of August remains the indicative delivery time (they gave the expected caveats around the delivery date ). Until the relevant government agency completed whatever checks it needs to then no new cars are being released. My dealer said he hoped to see some cars start to move through the system over the next 2-3 weeks but was not overly optimistic. Seems that new car delivery has ground to a halt. I'm not terribly impressed but I'm not sure what I can do to push for progress. We are in the hands of government agency which is never a happy place to be.
I got the same message today - it's out of our hands, possibly early August. Problem for JLR is why would you collect a mid July promised delivery in early August. Most people would want delivery on 1st Sep which is going to create some serious backlog.

AJL

#17 ·
I agree most people will opt for delivery on the 1st of September me included, I stupidly returned my lease car as I would only be without a car for at the most two weeks with a mid July delivery, if I have to wait till mid August what is another couple of weeks. That will also impact on the dealers and maybe even JLR as the dealers are not going to achieve financial targets for July and probably not August if every opts for a September delivery.

#18 ·
JLR definitely new that there was going to be problems in early June as they informed their dealers as such.
Each vehicle has to have an MVRIS code (Motor Vehicle Registration Information System) from the Society of Moto Manufacturers (SMMT) to get this code they need a fully certificated type approval from the Vehicle Certification Authority (VCA) overall it normally takes 4 weeks but WLPT tests are bigger and longer so the whole process is taking longer.
They told dealers not to expect deliveries in June no mention of July and August I would love to know what else they are saying to dealers apart from rough estimates of early August. From what my dealer told me Jaguar at that time they weren't entertaining compensation but the longer it goes on the louder we should shout not just at dealers but to Jaguar to show we are not happy at the way they have handled an industry wide delay. What they have to realise is that it may be industry wide but it effects each of us personally as individual customers of Jaguar.

#19 ·
The issue for me has become one of confidence in Jaguar. In this situation I'd expect direct communication from them explaining the issue, apologising and setting out what they are doing to resolve it. I'm very disappointed if my dealer did know about the likely delay when I placed my order in mid May. I've had nothing other than from the dealer and only when I've chased. The lack of certainty over when this might be sorted and the poor customer service makes me question whether Jaguar is a brand I want to buy in to. I'm very close to cancelling and starting again. The only thing stopping me is that I liked the car so much more than the competition. Very very annoying.

#20 ·
I sent the following letter to my dealer on 2nd July:

"I have been advised that my car whilst being built on schedule may not be released because Jaguar hasn't sorted itself out yet under the new World Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) requirements. This procedure will become mandatory on vehicles registered on or after 1st September 2018. I understand this is something to do with CO2 emissions and their relationship to VED. Apparently no new cars will be released until JLR and all other manufacturers have complied with the new requirements. More information regarding this may be found if you follow this URL: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/wltp.asp

I had a look at the above site and it tells me all the information for a 2018 Model Year F-Pace (under the old Euro6 standard) but there is no data there for the 2019 Model Year which is the standard that my order will be built to (according to the Order Sheet). This leads me to believe that JLR have not completed their testing as yet, or have not verified the new data required with the VCA. This is not a simple process and I would like to know if this may impact the proposed hand-over date of 1st September 2018 to me.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,"

So far this has been met with stoney silence! However, I plan a visit to the dealer tomorrow as it is a bit more difficult to hide when I am standing in front of them!!

Watch this space.

Jock

#21 ·
I emailed the CEO of JLR to complain about the lack of information, I spoke to my dealer today and what they know is basically the content of my earlier post today. Let's see what reaction I get from my email over the next few days. It won't shift the cars any quicker if they are waiting on the VCA and DFT along with the SMMT but if they come out publicly and be honest with customers I don't see a problem waiting. It's when you know you are being bulls***ed that people get uptight and rightly so. I will post if and when I get something.

#22 ·
JOCK55 said:
I sent the following letter to my dealer on 2nd July:

"I have been advised that my car whilst being built on schedule may not be released because Jaguar hasn't sorted itself out yet under the new World Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) requirements. This procedure will become mandatory on vehicles registered on or after 1st September 2018. I understand this is something to do with CO2 emissions and their relationship to VED. Apparently no new cars will be released until JLR and all other manufacturers have complied with the new requirements. More information regarding this may be found if you follow this URL: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/wltp.asp

I had a look at the above site and it tells me all the information for a 2018 Model Year F-Pace (under the old Euro6 standard) but there is no data there for the 2019 Model Year which is the standard that my order will be built to (according to the Order Sheet). This leads me to believe that JLR have not completed their testing as yet, or have not verified the new data required with the VCA. This is not a simple process and I would like to know if this may impact the proposed hand-over date of 1st September 2018 to me.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,"

So far this has been met with stoney silence! However, I plan a visit to the dealer tomorrow as it is a bit more difficult to hide when I am standing in front of them!!

Watch this space.

Jock
Saw the dealer's Sales Principal yesterday. He was very apologetic that I had received no reply from them, but the Salesman I had been dealing with was on holiday and had left without switching on the "autoforward" on his email account. He said that there had been some difficulty getting the early build MY2019 models released from the factory due to problems with the VCA (made it sound like VCA were dragging their feet with regard to certifying these vehicles as being compliant with WLTP!). He said this was only a temporary "blip" and that should not affect many vehicles. As far as he was aware, production has not been slowed down. He went on to say that if there were to be any delays, for whatever reason, he would ensure customers were informed. He said he only has 9 customers awaiting delivery of F-Paces in September, so wouldn't be too much of an effort! He was saying all the right things, but had nothing there to back it up. I am afraid that with past experience of JLR dealerships I am sceptical until shown firm evidence. The plot thickens.

Jock

#23 ·
Don't think it's the VCA dragging their heels,.... cannot say without compromising friends and others. However they are working very very long days to try and sort this out! The amount of data and variants is apparently staggering to comprehend. Rescoures are at the limit with holidays being cancelled.

But you are correct, that someone needs to take the blame for this momentous cock up in the planning and delivery of these new rule implementations.
Not saying it's nothhing to do with VCA at some level,.... just that the people there are working very hard to sort their bit out.

Regards JC.

#24 ·
I agree it's obvious no one actually fully appreciated how many vehicles of each model would need to be tested under the new rules, for the F-Pace if you take the 3 main infotainment models and the 5 wheel sizes and at least 8 engine variants that is 120 different cars. Who ever came up with this scheme was not thinking straight picking the most common build for each engine variant would have been more sensible. It's almost certainly more cars than that with all the other electronics that can be added. Then if you take all the JLR cars that's a lot of cars just for one manufacturer.

#25 ·
Failing to appreciate the scale of an administrative process such as this is perhaps understandable - it happens frequently in government departments. What is unforgivable is the lack of transparency from jaguar and its dealers. When I called the customer service line they apparently knew nothing about any of this, which if true is hard to fathom. Dealers, if they were aware of this when customers were placing orders in May, should have made potential purchasers aware of the likely delay. And then now it's all out in the open both jaguar and dealers should be in contact with customers regularly - that's basic customer service. This isn't happening. Who knows what they are telling people at their sale weekend today and tomorrow about delivery timeframes. I have no previous experience of jaguar but I naively expected much better service than this. If there's not definitive progress in the next week or so I'll be cancelling and looking elsewhere.

#26 ·
I am waiting to hear what the senior customer representative says Monday but when I spoke to her last week, she asked what information the dealer had given me so I explained that I was aware that WLTP was the route cause but she sort of glossed over that and said she would contact the dealer and get back to me Monday. So I am on tenterhooks I am not holding out any hope of a realistic answer. Good job I emailed the CEO of JLR as well as the head of UK operations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.