Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Soundproofing

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  nphe9974 
#1 ·
The F-pace is a nice car in most aspects, but the soundproofing seems to be lacking in some areas. Especially the roof area, which is problematic in tunnels and when using roof racks. I compare this with my previous car which was a Land Rover Discovery 3. Anybody else with this experience?

#2 ·
Do you have panoramic glass roof option? I have solid roof and no sound issues. Very quiet internally.

#4 ·
I have opening pain roof and it's quiet when closed and almost silent when open. It is the quietest opening roof I've ever had to be honest!

I just wish I didn't have to get the one touch shut feature looked at once again... grrr!

#5 ·
Interesting discussion. My main sound is excessive engine noise, far more then my previous car but noise from roof is not a problem.

I see others have problem with one touch roof open and closure. Mine is going in for resolution of this which has now failed twice.

#6 ·
Jeanjag said:
Interesting discussion. My main sound is excessive engine noise, far more then my previous car but noise from roof is not a problem.

I see others have problem with one touch roof open and closure. Mine is going in for resolution of this which has now failed twice.
I test drove a 2.5D and found engine noise intrusive. The dealer said "it's just cold" but it sounded agricultural to me when pressed. I have heard 2.0D Ingenium is similar. 3.0 V6 unit I went for is a much smoother and older Ford unit and it is relatively quiet in comparison.

#7 ·
I can't say I find the 180diesel noisy either. I tried the remote start recently with a friend waiting by the car. Just wanting to make him jump and impress. He didn't even notice it starting. It was parked on a road so there was normal humdrum background noise but it was really hard to hear the engine. It is a bit rough between 1500-1700 rpm though, not noisy, you just notice extra vibration through pedals and floor.

#8 ·
RaVolVoR said:
I can't say I find the 180diesel noisy either. I tried the remote start recently with a friend waiting by the car. Just wanting to make him jump and impress. He didn't even notice it starting. It was parked on a road so there was normal humdrum background noise but it was really hard to hear the engine. It is a bit rough between 1500-1700 rpm though, not noisy, you just notice extra vibration through pedals and floor.
Yes a bit of deisel rattle was what I noticed accelerating but otherwise the car was quiet.

#10 ·
oysteinvik said:
Solid roof - noise in tunnels🤔
Comparing the soundproofing of your old car to your new one is very understandable, but it is really completely subjective. It's all a matter of what you are used to. The acoustic properties of different models will never be the same.

I'd question whether complaining about the noise the F-Pace makes when in tunnels and when using a roof-rack is entirely fair, because both these scenarios are situations where the aerodynamics and acoustics are compromised and it is bound to be noisy! Looks like you are trying very hard to find yourself a problem here. :(

In every objective respect, the F-Pace is a better car to drive than the Disco3 . . and subjectively too, at least as far as I'm concerned. :p

#11 ·
I've got to agree with this, when the engine is shut down in traffic you can clearly hear the conversations of people walking past.

I put it down to aluminium bring thinner than steel but could equally be JLR cutting corners on soundproofing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.