Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Would you reject?

10K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  RaVolVoR 
#1 ·
Hi,

Had our new f pace for 25 days and it had done 800 miles when suddenly wouldn't start back up when it stop start kicked in at the traffic lights.

It did it again so I turned off the start stop system.

Got home and it would only start on the 2nd or 3rd attempt after a lot of turning the engine with out it firing up.

The aa man said it needs a software update. With a crank sensor code???

So I took it to the dealers who have had the car for 10days now and are half way through fitting a new ecu but the mechanic who started the job is not working there for 2 days.

It all feels a bit fishy to me.

I don't want to reject the car as we love it, but after reading some bad stories from the land rover and xe forums about the 180d engine I'm starting to concider it.

What would you guys do?

Cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes I'd reject car.
Get them to order new car and get something extra thrown in and have fpace courtesy car till new car is ready

#5 ·
ECU is a major engine component it depends on how much of the engine has to be stripped to fit new part.
They've had the car 10 days and counting.
Have a new MY 19 build F pace.

#6 ·
Write the letter of rejection and hand it to the dealer and you can decide later if you go through with it.

#7 ·
George1 said:
So is this a serious enough fault to reject the car?

How does it work when the car is on PCP?
I would get the rejection letter in before 30 days is up. You can decide later if you want to act on it but it does sound like a serious fault and you would be justified.

Really feel for you. All the excitement of a new car and then all the disappointment.

#8 ·
George1 said:
So is this a serious enough fault to reject the car?

How does it work when the car is on PCP?
PCP makes no difference, you have the right to reject the car in law in the first 30 days without reason and then upto 6 months if there is a fault thats not been fixed.

This topic has been covered in many threads on here, use the sites search function and your get lots of great advice on how to reject as many before have.

#11 ·
I have also looked on the jag config site and the car I ordered has gone up over £1000 in MY19! This is due to 10 inch screen as standard now I think. Would I have to pay the extra or would be original deal stand?

I'm guessing I would be paying £300 more per year in tax as the car is now over £40k rrp

#12 ·
George1 said:
I have also looked on the jag config site and the car I ordered has gone up over £1000 in MY19! This is due to 10 inch screen as standard now I think. Would I have to pay the extra or would be original deal stand?

I'm guessing I would be paying £300 more per year in tax as the car is now over £40k rrp
Its your decision but I would have thought given the magnitude of the issues with your existing car there will be some flexibility on pricing of your replacement. Having a really serious fault like that within 800 miles is really not on at all and must give you a good hand for negotiating a good deal.

#14 ·
George,

I believe it is JLR that should be doing ALL the giving, not your poor old dealer. It is a manufacturing fault not servicing or after sales - the Dealer hasn't done anything wrong!!!

Jock

#15 ·
I think the 30 days is time in your possession... all the time they've had the car doesn't count. Plus in that 30 day period so long as there is a fault you don't even need to give them opportunity to repair it. Clearly there is a fault.
Keep it friendly to start but make it clear that you are the paying customer and if you are not happy with any counter offer you reject the car.

To me it's a no brainer to walk away, the issue is too serious go consider keeping it.

#16 ·
George1 said:
So if I rejected the car would the Pcp payments continue while I have a loaner car?
No as you have no car, you would in effect be cancelling this agreement as the agreement will be with the car you have.

As for the loaner car, are you wanting the dealer to give you a loan car whilst a new one is made for you?

If this is the case it would be something you would have to discuss with them.

This thread may also help.

https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3372&hilit=reject

Or this one

https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2770&hilit=reject

#18 ·
George1 post an update of your outcome if possible.
Good luck

#19 ·
Update: The car has been fitted with a new ecu and apparantly now working fine.

We are going in on Saturday to talk to the dealer manager.

If I'm honest I don't want to reject the car. We love the car and after looking around last night what we could replace it, nothing comes close.

I guess we need to decide if to reject it and have another car built. I'm sure we will be out of pocket though as the same car is now £1800 more rrp and there for in the + £40k tax bracket. (Ours was £39925) so just under.

Will be an interesting conversation

#20 ·
That's encouraging news :) hopefully when you go on saturday you'll be able to take your time checking that it really is working properly, take it for a drive 'around the block' with lots of stop/starts . . . if they've sorted it, then all good and happy days!

It's a shame they've taken the shine off your new car experience a bit by keeping it in the repair bay for so long and perhaps not inspiring you with great confidence in their abilities, but see how you go with it. If it's fixed then no worries . . if not then you'd be best getting them to agree to supply a replacement car, which should be at their expense because none of this is any of your fault, but hopefully that won't be necessary. Fingers crossed for you.

#22 ·
If you keep it ask if they will give you something on goodwill basis, service plan if you don't have it would be a start.

I hope it's resolved but if it recurs inside 6 months you can still reject it.

#23 ·
I would reject the car, however if you are keen to keep it then perhaps alongside anything that the dealer offers you, you also should agree a new longer term no questions asked rejection period.

#24 ·
Update:

I put in a notice to reject the car while it was in the dealer having it's ecu and wiring harness changed after 20 days old.

3 days later I was told the car was mended and to pick it up. So I did.

On the way home the was hunting when stationary and a smell of burning was coming from the engine. Obviously I went straight back to the dealer and went out for a drive with the service manager. The car stopped this symptom.

I was advised to take the car home and see if it happened again. So I did.

It's done it twice since and the alarm has been going off randomly at night. It been in the dealers for 2 days this week but they couldn't find a problem and again have been told to tale it home. So I did.

Anyway... jaguar finance have just rung me to say I can't reject the vehicle as I collected it after the repair!!!!!

Where do I stand? Have I been to nice by taking the dealers advise?

Thanks

#25 ·
George1 said:
Update:

I put in a notice to reject the car while it was in the dealer having it's ecu and wiring harness changed after 20 days old.

3 days later I was told the car was mended and to pick it up. So I did.

On the way home the was hunting when stationary and a smell of burning was coming from the engine. Obviously I went straight back to the dealer and went out for a drive with the service manager. The car stopped this symptom.

I was advised to take the car home and see if it happened again. So I did.

It's done it twice since and the alarm has been going off randomly at night. It been in the dealers for 2 days this week but they couldn't find a problem and again have been told to tale it home. So I did.

Anyway... jaguar finance have just rung me to say I can't reject the vehicle as I collected it after the repair!!!!!

Where do I stand? Have I been to nice by taking the dealers advise?

Thanks
I'm not a lawyer but that sounds like a try on, as clearly any remaining defects may not be apparent until after you have collected. Especially if they told you to take it home and see if it recurs. And the fact is there are still defects. As to how you enforce your rights I am less clear, having no practical experience of this sort of thing.

#26 ·
Up to 30 days you don't even have to ket them try to repair the fault to reject. After 30 days up to 6 months they can gave one attempt. Search online for which magazine and consumer rights 2015 it's very clear. Maybe quote it when replying to the Jaguar Finance saying that they can carry on arguing and end up paying your solicitors fees too. Idiots! Your rights are very strong in your favour.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.