Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

2.0 litre, 300PS Petrol ingenium

19K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Deltasierra 
#1 ·
I have ordered this engine in the F-Pace I have ordered. J have asked if there are any owners on this Forum (nada).

Since ordering I have been doing some research regarding this particular engine type as everyone gave me a sideways look when I mentioned it. It has been available in the F-Pace since mid-July last year, so one would have thought there would be a few around. Did extensive research on the motoring websites for reviews and came up with nothing. Plenty on V6 300PS but not the 4 pot petrol (in an F-Pace). Had a look on Jaguar "Approved Used" section and of the 482 F-Paces available, came across 1 example of the 300PS petrol for sale (MY17 on a 18 plate in Portfolio guise having clocked up 2,840 miles), probably an ex-demonstrator. One in nearly 500!!!

Widened the search outside the confines of Jaguar and came up with 743 F-Paces, and one further vehicle for sale. This was a MY18 on an 18 plate in an R-Sport configuration, having 930 miles on the clock. This has peaked my concern a little. One would have thought that statistically there would be more out there than this. My conclusions are that it is either a super engine in a super car and therefore nobody is selling them, or it is a complete lemon and to be avoided at all costs.

I am used to the foibles of the JLR Brand and am only too aware that they love TESTING their cars at their customer's expense.

Do you think I am correct to be concerned, (and therefore change my order to the popular and reliable 250PS model) or should, just lie back and think of Britain???

Jock

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm looking at a factory order of a P250 or a used 3.0d S. Similarly I have been intrigued by the P300 wondering it is a more of a match for the 3.0d. I've read reviews of the P300 in the Velar and it is mostly good. Some reviewers find it difficult to get over the fact they think an SUV needs a diesel and 6 cylinders to be competitive. I have looked at pricing the P300 and there isn't a great deal of difference in price with the P250 (oddly the vehicle excise duty is less in the p300). So I admire your choice, and like you would be keen to try one.

#3 ·
Hi Jock,

I test drive the V6 and the 250 hp in February - I rang a few Kent dealers and none could get hold of a 300 hp. I was keen to see whether it was closer to the 250 or 380 V6 . There are very few of them around - my dealer told me today ( when I picked up my new V6 S ) that they still don't have s test demo model .

I am sure it is a good engine - personally the 250 hp was too light perfirmance wise do I opted for the V6 which is to be discontinued in favour of the SVR halo product .

Very pleased with my new V6 S - took the day off and did 250 miles - that would be my choice given that you can get a great discount ( 11-12% all in )
The V6 engine has a really sweet soundtrack to it that makes driving fun and puts a smile on your face - not sure that s 4 cylinder albeit turbocharged gives you the same feeling of..., exhilaration .

Mind you SVR purchasers will say the same thing about the V6 S !!

#4 ·
I went or the 250 it's a good enough engine , I didn't think the extra money was worth it for just 50hp extra. I spent the money on led headlights :lol:

It's personal choice though and very much depends on your useage and preference.

Note:
The same petrol engines are in the Discovery Sport but due to its heavier body weight it is classed as a 240 or 290 , but it has an awful ZF9 gearbox in comparison to the FPace ZF8. You could test the difference in those two ?

#5 ·
I have this particular engine as P300 in my Velar. It has plenty of grunt, but not as quick, as promised from the factory. Best I could achieve was 6,5s 0-100 (measured with a Racelogic device). Still I love it, and no issues whatsoever. We have two of them in the company, one with almost 30k kms on the clock and still flawless. Fuel consumption is about 10 l/100 km. Our demo V6 diesel took 9.

#7 ·
I was very interested in the 300PS Petrol engine when I was ordering last year (August) but couldn't find one to test drive for love or money. Dealer also mentioned that the lead time on the 300PS petrol was over 6 months at the time, and I really needed mine delivered before the end of the year.

I did find it strange that the 2.0 250PS were coming out thick and fast yet the 300PS had a 6 month lead time when in effect its the same engine in a different state of tune.

Have occasionally wondered that it must be possible to re-map the 250PS to close to 300PS given the engine is one and the same.

M.

#8 ·
mike72uk said:
I was very interested in the 300PS Petrol engine when I was ordering last year (August) but couldn't find one to test drive for love or money. Dealer also mentioned that the lead time on the 300PS petrol was over 6 months at the time, and I really needed mine delivered before the end of the year.

I did find it strange that the 2.0 250PS were coming out thick and fast yet the 300PS had a 6 month lead time when in effect its the same engine in a different state of tune.

Have occasionally wondered that it must be possible to re-map the 250PS to close to 300PS given the engine is one and the same.

M.
The lead time for the 300PS engine is still longer than for the 250PS, that plus the summer shut down of the factory is the reason for delivery being quoted as "September" - still haven't got a confirmed build date from Jaguar.

Another interesting item is that the service schedule for the ingenium engines has been stretched to 22,000 miles or 2 year intervals, all except for the 300PS which remains 16,000 miles or annually!!!

Jock

#9 ·
JOCK55 said:
Another interesting item is that the service schedule for the ingenium engines has been stretched to 22,000 miles or 2 year intervals, all except for the 300PS which remains 16,000 miles or annually!!!

Jock
Well, in light of the fact that I bought my service pack when it was annual servicing on the petrols (and every two years on the diesels) I'll be expecting an annual service or 50% of my money back !
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

Mike.

Attachments

#10 ·
JOCK55 said:

Jock
Petrol is still 16,000 or anual for the 25t, who told you this had changed ?

#11 ·
My mistake! The Petrol has stayed the same for all variants (i.e. Annual or 16,000 miles). It is the diesels that have been stretched!!

Jock

#12 ·
JOCK55 said:
My mistake! The Petrol has stayed the same for all variants (i.e. Annual or 16,000 miles). It is the diesels that have been stretched!!

Jock
Diesels stretched when the ingenium engine first came out in 2015/16, it stretched over the old 2.2 diesel which the ingenium replaced.

#15 ·
#18 ·
Sounds a solid choice and I've driven it in the Ftype, it's pretty good though there is an obvious preference for me personally on the V6 and the 380.
It gives a bit more power and I'd expect more torque as well which certainly is handy on a heavy car so personally I would go for the 300.
It has been out a little while but I bet most dealers get the 3 diesel to 25T hence not many on second market yet,

#19 ·
Well, finally managed to pick up my confirmed "Order Details" from Park's Jaguar Inverness. They were most apologetic over the amount of time before going to build but this has been affected by two things. Firstly, it appears that the Velar is being heavily ordered with the 300PS engine (especially for the LHD market, so the Sales Manager says) and it appears to be taking a little priority over Jaguar builds. The second delay is caused by the annual Summer shut-down at the factory which will be over the first 2 weeks of July. However, despite telling me that the car would not be available until some time in September, I now see that they planned to deliver it to me on 27th August! However, as the registration changes occur on 1st September (and that can make at least £500 difference on the second hand price), I have told them not to register the car until it can be put on a "68" plate and I'll pick the car up on the afternoon of Saturday 1st September.

Order Details page from the complete order, attached. View attachment Park's Jaguar Inverness - ORDER DETAILS.pdf

Attachments

#20 ·
jeffreywoodham said:
I must be doing something wrong because since I've had my car I've never got more than 27 mpg out of a tankful. Different driving styles perhaps?
Interesting you compare the miles from a tank full, there can be 10% or more difference between the dash readout and the actual MPG. Unsurprisingly the dash reading is optimistic, where you buy your fuel affects the MPG, cheap supermarket diesel is notorious for poor economy, checking actual miles for the fuel used will produce some surprises.

#21 ·
If I need lessons in how to calculate my mpg I will ask for them thank you. I always buy from the same BP garage and divide the number of miles travelled by the gallons used, ignoring the readout on the screen. This very rarely changes from 27 at every fill up.

#22 ·
Rather over sensitive I thought.
Personally I choose Shell, other posts refered to dash read outs which may not be accurate and I added that cheap supermarket fuel not the best quality.

#23 ·
Over sensitive, perhaps, but you were the one preaching to me and making assumptions which were completely incorrect. As my mother used to say "trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs" I really don't care that you use Shell, the only reason I use BP is that it is the only premium fuel in my area.

#24 ·
Using the fuel added V miles driven method on an app, I'm averaging 34mpg , so I can only assume it's drivibg style .

Just me and the dog as passengers.

I use BP ultimate.

I don't hang around but I certainly don't thrash the car either . I always run them in for the first 1500 miles too.

I don't do many trips less than 30 miles either in fact I've only done 2 less than 30 miles.

Tyres , ambient temp, load in the car ....there's a lot of things that make a difference.

#25 ·
mike72uk said:

M.
You might see good results with some custom maps, but the 250 PS and 300 PS engines are far from being same. 300 PS has slightly lower compression, twin scroll turbo and so on.

#26 ·
jeffreywoodham said:
Over sensitive, perhaps, but you were the one preaching to me and making assumptions which were completely incorrect. As my mother used to say "trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs" I really don't care that you use Shell, the only reason I use BP is that it is the only premium fuel in my area.
Actually old boy I was agreeing that calculated MPG is a lot more accurate than the dash readout and I still can't see where I was trying to teach anyone to calculate.

Monday was a bad day for me too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.