Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

R Sport or Portfolio ?

22K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Jim 
#1 ·
Hi all

I am test driving some F paces next month. Since making the decision to attempt to get one I have drafted between getting an R sport or Portfolio. Almost every review I have seen has said the R sport is the one to get. Yet the Portfolio has everything I want lol. I did a price check on Carwow and found I would save some serious money getting the Portfolio compared with adding the required options to an R Sport.

I am interested in others views on both. Is the styling and bumpers the biggest difference? Will one get a higher sell on value when trading time comes around?

Thanks in advance for your responses. Sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

#4 ·
Exactly same dilemma here. I hated all of the portfolio wheels (they all look like alloy imitation hub caps to me!), and as you say by the time you spec up an r-sport it stops making sense.

That's a primary reason I went for a used (but 17 plate/ 18 model) in the end where the smaller options have already (mostly) lost their value in the price.

In the end there was so little between a Carwow new portfolio vs a <1 year old R-Sport. The right used car came along first and that made the decision for me.

Totally understand your dilemma!

#5 ·
Yes, me too. I preferred the look of the R-Sport but fancied the higher spec of the Portfolio. In the end I found a 17 plate 2.0d R-Sport with options that took it up to and beyond Portfolio spec at a very reasonable price.

I was very pleased with my choice but, as related elsewhere on this Forum, I found that, having previously having had a 3.0d XF, I really missed that 3 litre V6 so I changed the R-Sport for a 3.0d 'S' a coupe of weeks ago.

#8 ·
I too understand your dilemma! I was havering between the R-Sport and Prestige. I did a side by side configuration to bring the R-Sport up to the Prestige spec and it worked out that the Prestige came in £220 more expensive. However, I prefer the styling of the R-Sport, so that's what is on order. I'll put the £220 into a high interest bearing deposit account to help pay for the eye watering VED in year 2 and beyond - (typical tight Jock!)

#9 ·
For the new model year MY19 cars, Id say go R-sport, you get enough tech and features, and the choice of glassroof or not that near enough matches the portfolio. Everything else can be specd up without too much diff.
The only deciding factor for portfolio is if you really prefer the firmer but nicer sienna leather seats. My otger half preferred the sports buckets.
Btw both car styles look good in the flesh with approriate colours.
As others have alluded to, the bigger question is which engine to get... which will also influence cost more so than the optioning.

Good luck

#10 ·
K187 said:
There were a couple of fully loaddd 16 and 66 plate v6's when I was looking. Remember the insurance group is MUCH higher tho. 27 (prestige), 29 (r-sport), 42 (PS300 / v6) from memory.
You are correct with the insurance. My current insurance Company (Direct Line) are charging me £360 (Group 47) for the Range Rover Sport, But for the 300PS 2 litre Petrol F-Pace it will only be £280 (Group 30)! More savings for the VED account. At this rate, it'll be self funding!!!

Can be a big consideration for some.

Jock

#14 ·
I did the same when I bought mine, specced up an R-Sport, Portfolio and S with what I wanted, decided the S cost more than I wanted to pay and the Portfolio was best value for the spec I wanted, as opposed to things that were provided but didn't really care about.

Last time I had a look at the configurator the only thing I would change would be the engine, I would go fora bit more grunt. At the time the 240D and 250P weren't available and the 3.0D was an extra £10,000 (nearly).

It is obviously a personal choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.