Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Interior Plastic easily scratches?

11K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  NEUK 
#1 ·
This js my first Jaguar, its also my first ever brand new car. 2.0 AWD black edition.

Ive had the car just under two months and although the car looking stunning Ive noticed some small things that really annoy me, most significantly how easily the plastic trims scratch, the rear sills in my car is full of scratches from day to day use. Is this normal?

All the interior plastic, around the seats and all sills seem to scratch really easily.

Anyone have similar experience?

What can i do about this?

#2 ·
I agree. The shiny door panels scratch at the lightest touch as does the shiny interior especially around the cup holder cover. Just touching some keys on this surface causes a spiderweb of scratches. 😫

#4 ·
You might expect a key to scratch the console, but you wouldnt expect a door sill which is supposed to be stepped to look worse than the sill on an 07 BMW X5 after two months use.

@k187 do you mean just vinyl wrapped, do you have any sites you can point me towards?

#5 ·
Got to be honest I love my f paces but looked inside a BMW X 5 on Sunday and it is leapes and bounds better finished.
Door trims are padded leather not just plastic
Think jag have some updating to do regards
This issue

#6 ·
jagman2017 said:
Got to be honest I love my f paces but looked inside a BMW X 5 on Sunday and it is leapes and bounds better finished.
This issue
Agree regarding the plastics but swop a car that looks like the dog's doodies for an X5? Never. JLR is like a cottage industry compared to BMW, Audi or Mercedes but they have still produced a fantastic looking and handling car.

#7 ·
Smitten said:
jagman2017 said:
This issue
Agree regarding the plastics but swop a car that looks like the dog's doodies for an X5? Never. JLR is like a cottage industry compared to BMW, Audi or Mercedes but they have still produced a fantastic looking and handling car.
Agreed. The X5 looks tried and dated unless you get the new M versions. There is no such thing as a perdeck car. I think it boils down to how many positives there.

#9 ·
Agree with the above, exterior styling is awesome, interior looks great as well. Jag just need to sort out the quality of plastic and attention to detail.

You would think the manufacturers would take a look at their rivals car before they start producing them.

#10 ·
They don't even have to look at competitors cars. Just look at Range Rover. They have the shiny black plastic as an option!!! It is even worse when you chose to have this finish and it turns out to be not such a good decision! Folk have been complaining about this for over 3 years, if I recall properly!!!

JLR, not always a learning organisation!

Jock

#11 ·
I've ordered some aftermarket door sill covers for the front and back, (amazon)

If they look rubbish Ill send them back.

Is there any come to the dealership on this now I've had the car for 2 months?

#12 ·
Here are some pics of my sills after 2 months of use. I hate to think what they will look like after 3 years.

Ive never had this issues with any other car....

Will people be willing to share images of similar interior quality issues?

Is this acceptable for a jag?

Is there anyone from JLR in this forum who can comment?

(Ive seen other similar complaints online)

Automotive design Hood Car Bumper Vehicle

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive lighting Automotive design

Grille Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Attachments

#13 ·
Mine looks worse than that for the same spots you have taken pics of.
This is the reason I won't let any car cleaning service touch the inside because of the amount of scratches that emerge when I get the car back. The same goes for when I have my Jag serviced, I always end up with scratches.
Given up worrying but the quality of plastic seems poor at the low down level inside the vehicle.

#14 ·
If your able to fire some pics over that would be helpful.

If I can get a few more people to share pictures then, surely we will stand a better chance of them rectifying the problem.

There are solutions such as padding with leather, replacing with better quality parts, providing side steps as standard etc.

The only defence jaguar could have for this is we use low quality plastic and the driver needs to be more careful. But that wont do much for their image when their competitors dont have this problem

#15 ·
NEUK said:
If your able to fire some pics over that would be helpful.

If I can get a few more people to share pictures then, surely we will stand a better chance of them rectifying the problem.

There are solutions such as padding with leather, replacing with better quality parts, providing side steps as standard etc.

The only defence jaguar could have for this is we use low quality plastic and the driver needs to be more careful. But that wont do much for their image when their competitors dont have this problem
I sincerely wish you the best of luck with this, but I believe that you must have second sight.

The JLR response will be exactly what you have said in the last paragraph!

Good Luck,

Jock

#16 ·
NEUK said:

I'm struggling a bit with this thread to be honest. First off, how would replacing the plastic parts of the footplates with padded leather make them less vulnerable to scratching? Secondly, I have had my car for two years and it doesn't look anything like as bad as in those pictures. Okay, so I have taken care of mine, but I find a wipe with a damp cloth removes most light boot scuffs anyway. Mine don't have any deep scratches.

Those scratches you have are bad, with scoring into the plastic surface . . but any of the five cars I have had over the last decade or so would have shown scratches on the footplates if they were being stood on by gritty soled shoes. It's called wear and tear. Quite honestly if you stand on the door sill footplates and twist or move your foot it is going to scratch the material, whether it is plastic, stainless steel, leather or french-polished walnut!

Not clear on what you would like the outcome of this to be, but I don't personally think you have the remotest of chances to get Jag to replace yours or change the way they are fitting the cars out . . oh, and one last thing, speaking for myself, I certainly wouldn't want side-steps to be fitted as standard to the F-Pace, I'm afraid they don't look right in my opinion and it just doesn't need them, and anyway even if they did then I suspect you might only end up complaining about them catching dirt and getting marked from being used. I'm truly sorry if this doesn't support your campaign for something 'better' :cry:

#17 ·
@catwoman

Im definately not the only person who believes the quality of these parts are unacceptable, thats why manufacturers have made third party covers as well as others in this thread.

They can rectify the problem by using similar plastic to bmw yes the plastic around the sills are padded (less brittle), Ive never worried at all about knocking the sills on any car Ive ever owned, however im constantly telling my wife and children to watch ths plastic.

In relation to the side steps, they have used the correct material so no they don't get scratches.

Im not happy and Im very confident the quality is inadequate, I will get an answers from the courts if I have to.

Thanks for your honest feedback though

#19 ·
You will be surprised how much we just accept when you don't have to. It will cost me very little to get this in front of a judge.

#22 ·
I've had mine nearly two years now and surprised about scratching comments. Interior around gear and cup holders I was about to say has zero scratches but I've found one deepish small one I've never noticed.
Plastic around seats in front and on window inside I have zero scratches.
Boot Sill has marks of course , rear Sill each door yes with two x small kids. The have kicked fhe back and air vents etc many times and actually just cleaned up today with a damp cloth.

Only bits that bug me and are super easy is the exterior plastic in between windows. Have to be very careful with that as it swirls up really easy.

#23 ·
@Mbadger sounds promising, hopefully then maybe a defective batch or something or maybe thats wishful thinking.

Im definately not the only one, and my complaint is about the plastics around the bottom of the car, sills, front seat rear, vents in centre console. My console and leather coated door panels are spot on.

Silly as it may sound Im not one to back down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.