Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Tyre choices Pirelli v Continental

11K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mike72uk 
#1 ·
HI all,
After a bit of advice from anybody who has used both the Pirelli P-Zero and Continental Sport Contact.
Currently my 22" wheels are fitted with Continental LX Cross Sport All-Season tyres. Now the weather has warmed up doing some "spirited driving" at the weekend I could feel the car moving on the tread blocks. The LX Cross Sport are great in the in-between season but would prefer to put on some proper summer tyres and as the tyre choice for the 22" wheels is limited, I was interested in peoples experience with the P Zeros or Sport Contact and especially anybody who has used both, preferably on 22" wheels with the 3.0l supercharged engine.
I am not bothered by winter performance as I have a set of 20" with winter tyres.

Also my local tyre dealer has reported a lack of availability of Sport Contacts in 22" in the UK and recommended having some shipped from Europe.

#2 ·
Pirelli P zero are a harder tyre , longer wear life, perfect for summer , good rating for rain in summer. I think there is now a Pirelli p zero Z4 in some sizes which gives less road noise.

Continental softer compound as you have found, still a good tyre though, quicker wear.

I'd go for a Pirelli if your happy doing a change for winters.

Had both on an M3 if that helps?

#3 ·
BIGMAC's Conti's only softer because they are all weather. I'll definitely be trying the conti summer tyres once the Pirelli's have worn out. FGenralli a better tyre manufacturer in my experience. What I really want top buy is Michelin or Goodyear but they don't make them this size as yet I believe.

#4 ·
Matteus F-Pace said:
BIGMAC's Conti's only softer because they are all weather. I'll definitely be trying the conti summer tyres once the Pirelli's have worn out. FGenralli a better tyre manufacturer in my experience. What I really want top buy is Michelin or Goodyear but they don't make them this size as yet I believe.
I have the same dilemma, Pirelli's have never been a favourite, they were fitted on my XF and when I changed to Michelins the handling improved tremendously. The LX Cross Contacts are too soft but the Sport Contact 5's look like a possible alternate. All I have been able to find as fitment options are Pirelli P Zero's and the 2 Continental options.

#5 ·
I think for summer the P Zeros are a great choice. I've literally just changed back (had Pirelli Scorpion AW tyres on)
They are quiet, grip well and good in rain until temps dip and then it's back to your AW around October or so.

As an aside only 6 months ago I found out places keep your tyres for you. ATS do this for example and the charge is very reasonable so your winters aren't in your Shed or you have to take them back each time.

If it's harder or more expensive to find the Contis then the P zeros are well tried and good summer tyres.

#6 ·
Having recently replaced my Pirelli tyres for Vredestein Quatrac 5 I have just noticed that Blackcircles are now selling Michelin Crossclimate SUV in 255/55/R19/111W, damn - these were the tyres I really wanted but Michelin didn't sell them at the time.

I would also echo others in that on both my previous Jaguars (XJ and XF) Michelin tyres felt far better in terms of handling, noise, etc. than the original Pirellis.

#7 ·
Mbadger77 said:
I think for summer the P Zeros are a great choice. I've literally just changed back (had Pirelli Scorpion AW tyres on)
They are quiet, grip well and good in rain until temps dip and then it's back to your AW around October or so.

As an aside only 6 months ago I found out places keep your tyres for you. ATS do this for example and the charge is very reasonable so your winters aren't in your Shed or you have to take them back each time.

If it's harder or more expensive to find the Contis then the P zeros are well tried and good summer tyres.
I store my own wheels under a tarpaulin - saves a few quid. Local place changes them for £5 each (but yes, I do have to load them in the back each time). BTW, on black circles, the Conti's are available and are actually £25 a corner cheaper than the Pirelli's.

#8 ·
Jim said:
Having recently replaced my Pirelli tyres for Vredestein Quatrac 5 I have just noticed that Blackcircles are now selling Michelin Crossclimate SUV in 255/55/R19/111W, damn - these were the tyres I really wanted but Michelin didn't sell them at the time.

I would also echo others in that on both my previous Jaguars (XJ and XF) Michelin tyres felt far better in terms of handling, noise, etc. than the original Pirellis.
Thanks Jim I e been looking out for the cross climate in this size, I'm running them currently on the Honda CRV and did so last winter they seem good particularly for noise and wet/snow grip.

#9 ·
Mbadger77 said:
Mbadger77,

I initially used my local ATS to store the summers that came off at delivery (had dealer fit Winters (Pirelli Scorpion's) for me prior to collection. ATS charged £30 (£7.50 per tyre) for storage for a season, In March I enquired about fitment of the summers (i.e swapping) and was informed that they charge £97 for fitment, and then another £30 for the next seasonal (6 months) storage.

I happened to be in my local dealer just before I wanted to change, and noticed a "WinterTyres" board so enquired and they wanted £60 for the fitment and storage of the Winters until the next change.....no brainier, went with the dealer as if any tyre/valve damage they are then responsible and have the part s(TPMS valves etc) to hand.

Regards,
Mike

#10 ·
Interesting differences in price.

My ATS is very convenient and easy to get work done so that helps.
I've just had it done and for 6 months storage and swap was under £90 inc VAT.
£90 or £60 isn't too much for me to worry about given convenience but I agree £127 then starts to really push it.

#11 ·
I've been very unimpressed with Pirelli P-Zero's, they're noisey, crab and grip in wet is an issue. I've not experienced the ContiSport Contact 5 but i did read before they were better.

I'm just getting all 4 tyres on my F-Pace replaced and I've opted for a 3rd and different option. I'm having fitted; Michelin Lattitude Tour HP 255/55/R19 (111) W XL JLR Fitment. Costing £145 per tyre fitted and balanced, I was quoted £125 for P-Zero's and £140 for ContiSport's.

Just looked on blackcircles again and it appears Michelin brought out a winter tyre now too, so seems our options are improving.

#12 ·
Mbadger77 said:
Interesting differences in price.

My ATS is very convenient and easy to get work done so that helps.
I've just had it done and for 6 months storage and swap was under £90 inc VAT.
£90 or £60 isn't too much for me to worry about given convenience but I agree £127 then starts to really push it.
Your £90 for the swap and 6 months storage is reasonable.

For me the the fact that my dealer is closer than my nearest ATS and the annual cost being £120 versus £254 made it a simple choice. Added bonus of if they do any damage they need to repair/replace.

M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.