Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Review of first few weeks of ownership

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Blucat 
#1 ·
Overall I am extremely pleased. I have now completed almost 2000 miles so now it's time for a more in-depth review.

Initial presentation by dealer

Superb and can't fault the dealer experience so far. Car was well presented although there are a few minor swirl marks to the panels between front and rear door glass. I had a long wait of four months but this was down to a minor specification change I made before lock down apparently. Now i have the car its forgotten.

Specification

Overall I am very happy with what I specified. I think if I was doing this again I might have gone for Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and possibly the Tracker subscription but to be honest these are minor details. I tend to reverse into parking spaces so thought the BSM largely redundant but the car is quite limited in visibility when reversing even with the camera and I can see it would be a useful option. I did not specify a panoramic roof as I have never really seen the point. Interestingly the metal skin that replaces the glass when you don't specify it feels incredibly thin and flexes easily and alarmingly when you clean he car - the skin feels much more flimsy than any car I have had previously and I suspect the roof would be very easy to dent. However it is a minor point and does not detract. Same applies to bonnet skin. A lot lighter no doubt than my previous Audi but also much thinner material - you can see a slight shimmer of vibration to the bonnet when driving. Again, does not detract from the joy of driving,

Build quality

Can't fault construction apart from a slight kink or twist to the boot rubber seal. It does not leak but a small portion of the seal is getting scuffed near the boot lock mechanism as it isn't quite lined up as it should be. I will get this seen to when the car is next at the dealer. There are no squeaks or rattles and everything seems well fitted and completed. There is some resonance in the front plastic door bins I have noticed when playing tracks with heavy base and I wonder whether the rubber door bin mats I have seen are a standard feature on MY19 might be designed in part to stop this.

ICTP

Vehicle is supplied with 2.5 software version dating back to 2016. I am suffering slow boot-up, cable connection to apps randomly functioning or not mostly. Voice control of satnav and text read out not functioning. Booked in with dealer for update to 3.5. Satnav has made a couple of odd route choices. In Scotland it took me down a single track B road rather than a perfectly good A road I was on which seemed an odd choice unless there was a traffic issue I was unaware of. Overall, the jury is still out on this. I am used to Google maps and Waze which seem to have far more current traffic reporting.

Remote software on Android

Limited functionality and it locked me out for a week but now resolved that by logging in again to InControl via my laptop

Engine

Smooth, powerful and very quiet on long motorway journeys. Delighted with performance now the car is run in. Averaged around 35 mpg at motorway speeds en route to Scotland and 42 mpg on A roads and B roads. Around town in heavy traffic/short journeys more like 25 mpg. I expect this will improve as the engine relaxes and moving parts bed in. Cabin noise is minimal at speed and under acceleration you just feel a nice shove from behind as the engine powers through the gears rapidly with very smooth changes. Engine is a little rougher/more noisy in low gear on hill ascents at slow speed (on single track B roads for example) but never really intrusive. Really impressive overtaking power 30-60 mph which makes for satisfying and safe driving.

Handling

Superb in sport mode on smooth A and B roads. Perhaps a little fidgety over bumps and pot holes but I would sooner have that than the slightly more dampened/bouncy feel you get with the smaller wheel sizes. I am delighted with handling of the 22" wheels and I really feel it is a step up from the 20" rims rather than a step in the wrong direction. Cornering is improved as well. You can really feel the difference between normal and sport mode in terms of handling and cornering and firmness as well as weight of steering. I am using normal mode around town as it is more forgiving over rough surfaces. Sport mode reserved for smoother road surfaces and faster conditions.

Functionality

Internal load space is great. Automatic seat release from the boot is a cheap option and very practical. Offspring love the rear recline seats and heated seat option although I personally find the rear seats a bit harder and less comfortable than my previous Audi. Front seats are great and I have 14 way electric with lumbar support. To be honest I have adjusted them once so electric motors to do that are a little unnecessary but came as standard otherwise I would not have specified. I have added rubber boot mat and floor mats which were a life saver on holiday and easy to clean.

Cheesy grin factor

11 out of 10. Still turns heads though there are a lot more on the road now. Best looking SUV there is in my opinion and I don't get bored staring out of the window at it when given a chance :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to do it and share with us, sounds like you're still 'smitten' with it . . makes a pleasant change from just reading about the niggles some have . . . a few pics of your Scotland trip would be nice to see too, if you have any . . saw the misty morning one you posted in May's POTM :)

#4 ·
A few snaps from Scottish trip complete with savage hound and mucky car

Attachments

#6 ·
I think 13 degrees was the top temperature....welcome to Scotland....whilst London had 26!

#7 ·
Ok a quick update. The car went through 2000 miles yesterday. No issues, no rattles or squeaks. Booked in on June 13th for ICTP upgrade. I submitted a short list of faults and the dealer was happy to proceed with the upgrade, no discussion. Very happy JLR customer.

#9 ·
Harwoods. I will let you know if all goes smoothly.

#12 ·
Nice write up and reassuring to see another positive ownership start, will be interested to see how you get on with the snagging list and outcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.