Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Alternative to Rejection - customer service

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Deltasierra 
#1 ·
Evening all

So after a very rocky start to my F-Pace ownership, and 9 months of disappointment I can finally draw a line under this whole saga!

Like many on here my vehicle was rejected due to various faults including the half shaft bearing noise resonated by the 22inch alloys. I decided to allow for my car to be fixed and after numerous trips to the dealer the list of faults became less and less. The issue of the rubbing noise was never 100% eliminated but reduced to an acceptable level that I was prepared to live with.

To restore my faith in JLR and my dealer a package was arranged and the finall parts have been fitted today so I can finally start to enjoy my FPace. Since we took delivery of the car we are still yet to go on a family holiday in the car and have had various courtesy vehicles instead.

We are now looking forward to using the car for what we brought it for, a family SUV with extra sportyness for Dad!

Our compensation package compromised of the following:
Detachable towbar - courtesy of JLR
Towbar cycle carrier
Roof rails
Roof box
Splash guards
All courtesy of my dealer.

Would like to say a very big thank you to Sturgess of Leicester and all staff involved, you have definitely restored my faith and your customer service level had been outstanding throughout. I have used Sturgess for many year and could not recommended them enough.

Many thanks
Looks like I'll be sticking around abit longer

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Very good Renesis. :cool:

There is a well worn saying that you either love your car despite its foibles, or hate it despite its virtues. Sounds like you've ended up in the former category - good for you.

#5 ·
I didn't expect it to end up like this but have to say I've been very impressed with the effort they made to put this right. Nobody expects to get a brand new car and have it yo-yo in and out the workshop.

Really looking forward to getting the bikes on the back and heading off into the woods which is something I haven't been able to do for the last 9 months due to the uncertainty with the cars future.

Hopefully this will inspire others who are/have been in similar situations that JLR can put it right sometimes

#8 ·
Very interesting story, and we all know dealer customer service varies. This is a great gesture.
Sturgess is marginally more local to me than Guy Salmon in Coventry. I've been to see both about an E or F pace, driven both and settled on the F as some come with the sliding pan roof which is my preference, plus look better on the road. Curiously, the only dealer who has remained in touch is Sturgess. Whether they get anything in used that tick my boxes remains to be seen.

Anyone else had experience of Sturgess for servicing?

#9 ·
Media Man said:
Yes, with Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo on and off over 28 years and it's been mediocre on the whole, with the occasional glimmer of hope that they're getting their act together.
A couple of recent examples -
The car needed bodywork after someone backed into the wing. Poor response from the initial call to the service centre, who said it was nothing to do with them and that I needed to speak to the body shop, making me feel like I was asking them for a big favour when I needed their number and location. Great response from the initial call to the body shop gave me hope, letting me drop it to the body shop the same day and collect a loan car. They said that they'd sort out a mark on the door for me at the same time, which they failed to do, and the car now creaks, almost certainly because of body shop dust on the door and roof seals that haven't been cleaned.
Shortly after the car was due a service, where I requested a widely publicised software update, which they denied any knowledge of.
When the collection call was made I pressed for a software update because of camera issues, and they finally caved in and agreed to do one, saying that they were only updating f-types...
A few days after the service, they invoiced me for it (as a long standing business customer they've always invoiced me for payment after I had the car back), even though the car has a service pack and they'd already done the first service on it a year ago...
Two days after the invoice, the car came up with the red 'charging system failure'.
Jag assistance did something in the battery area and told me to just drive it and see if it comes up again, but it should be fine. A loose battery terminal following disconnection at the body shop or service department perhaps?

This is a big step forwards when comparing with 2016 and it taking three or for calls to book a car in for a service.
I don't know if their on-line chat is still so pointless that they can't book a car in....

It's a pity when a family owned business with a long history is failing to get it right (gone are the days when Chris Sturgess would come in to the parts department to have a chat with you because you'd turned up in an interesting vehicle) but you might be one of the lucky few to get great service. It must happen occasionally!

#10 ·
Thanks for the summary.
Before settling on an F Pace, I visited the Volvo dealership interested in an high spec XC40. Salesman told me then enough cars had been sold to cover production until end of 2018 (it's now March/April), and didnt offer test drive, show me anything about car or whether I'd settle for an ex demo. Total disinterest, so not only did I walk, Volvo dropped off the possible list.

Their Jaguar franchise, different completely. Saw a Caesium Blue E Pace, had a nose around, had a test drive and the dialogue began...and has moved to an F pace.

But overall, I don't see any difference in the performance levels of any franchised dealer. Friend took a Nissan for annual service, dropped off, was on tight timescale and they could not find the courtesy car - but had the keys. So after much faffing, found another car which had no fuel so off assistant trots to get fuel from nearby Asda. All utterly inefficient and took nearly an hour from arriving to leaving in courtesy car. He also witnessed service assistant telling another customer - who had a engine stutter/misfire problem - it was down to him using supermarket fuel.... You couldn't make it up!!

Why is it so difficult for staff at garages to tell the truth and be honest with a customer. I'd rather them say, 'sorry we've forgotten to order the parts to fix your car', rather that a string of porkies which you know are that.

#11 ·
Media Man said:
Very interesting story, and we all know dealer customer service varies. This is a great gesture.
Sturgess is marginally more local to me than Guy Salmon in Coventry. I've been to see both about an E or F pace, driven both and settled on the F as some come with the sliding pan roof which is my preference, plus look better on the road. Curiously, the only dealer who has remained in touch is Sturgess. Whether they get anything in used that tick my boxes remains to be seen.

My 3.0d Portfolio was supplied and first service by Sturgess, straightforward no silly tricks, very satisfied and would definitely go there again, even though they are some distance from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.