Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

In love (apart from back bumper)

7K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  bottle_to_throttle 
#1 ·
Hi All

After deciding to grow up after writing off my Jeep SRT8, i decided to buy the extremely beautiful F Pace that i have fallen in love with.
It was quite a shock at first driving a 2.0L after a 6.4L Hemi but my wife says that she feels calmer and she loves the F Pace.

I have seen this comment before about the dark grey plastic bumper on the back of the R-Sport in comparison to the gloss black of the S and
i agree that it is the only element that let's down what is a beautiful design. Maybe it was to cut costs but surely a little paint is not that much to add for the price point.

I am lucky in having an old friend who works for Bentley as a finisher who is an excellent paintman and he has knocked up a visual of
how my R Sport will look like having the back bumper sprayed white to match the body colour.

I have more or less made up my mind but if i may, i would like to ask you guys what your opinion is?

Cheers guys
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Have the T-Shirt already!

It took 3 goes by JLR bodyshop to get it right...

cut camping.jpg

You really need to split the components to get a good finish/paint bond - they are heat welded together and can be split, despite what the dealer might tell you....

If I had bought a prestige or probably even R Sport, I think I would have fitted the S bumpers front and back...

#3 ·
This has been done before and with some issues with the paint coming away, if you man can do the job without issue then I say go for it, looks so much better colour coordinated

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

My friend said that the type of plastic they have used for the bumper has a urethane content which as you say jagfpacejk can cause the paint to break on stress and flake off. He says he can get around this by keying the bumper and adding a semi porous bond.

That looks so much better corriescar66. When i spoke with my dealer he said that he has had many comments about the grey bumper and that he has heard they will be pushing next years models out with all body coloured bumpers.

It beggars belief at why this plastic bumper was incorporated into such a beautiful car but i still get a smile on my face each time i drive the car so it's forgiven :)

My friend says his colleague who also works for Bentley as a leather fitter can also recover the plastic areas of the interior doors so when that is done i will add some pics to the forum. I have the pimento and black seats so i have chosen the quilted black leather from the Velar.

#6 ·
bottle_to_throttle said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

My friend said that the type of plastic they have used for the bumper has a urethane content which as you say jagfpacejk can cause the paint to break on stress and flake off. He says he can get around this by keying the bumper and adding a semi porous bond.

That looks so much better corriescar66. When i spoke with my dealer he said that he has had many comments about the grey bumper and that he has heard they will be pushing next years models out with all body coloured bumpers.

It beggars belief at why this plastic bumper was incorporated into such a beautiful car but i still get a smile on my face each time i drive the car so it's forgiven :)

My friend says his colleague who also works for Bentley as a leather fitter can also recover the plastic areas of the interior doors so when that is done i will add some pics to the forum. I have the pimento and black seats so i have chosen the quilted black leather from the Velar.
Be interested to see that... Someone recently said they'd recovered their interior, but never posted any pictures....

Probably as they used sticky-backed plastic! :lol:

#7 ·
Just phone the dealer who put me through to the bodyshop and they have quoted £150 plus all in, including pick up and delivery on a low-loader to my house which is 20 miles away.

Can't argue with that price and i am sure they are just doing it so cheap because i have managed to persuade 2 colleagues to buy an f pace with the same dealer.

I am having the leather done late next week corriescar66 so i will put some pics on then.

#8 ·
bottle_to_throttle said:
Ooh, I'll be very interested to see the pictures too! How did you specify the quilted leather? Is that just something your friend can get hold of?

#9 ·
bottle_to_throttle said:
Just phone the dealer who put me through to the bodyshop and they have quoted £150 plus all in, including pick up and delivery on a low-loader to my house which is 20 miles away.

Can't argue with that price and i am sure they are just doing it so cheap because i have managed to persuade 2 colleagues to buy an f pace with the same dealer.

I am having the leather done late next week corriescar66 so i will put some pics on then.
Be very, very wary of that price!

That sounds like a 'smart repair' to me which is what started my road to ruin...

WP_20170205_10_40_54_Pro.jpg

Most should charge £400 - £500 - if they don't split it, they can't prep the joins properly and eh voila... It all starts to fall off!

They ended up having to spray the whole bumper..... after attempt 3!

#10 ·
Bottle - I agree the full white looks a lot better. If you can get it done properly, go for it!
Corrie - sorry, but I think they missed a bit......I mean clearly you meant to have the bit around the exhaust pipe done as well.....? :lol:

#11 ·
Matteus F-Pace said:
Bottle - I agree the full white looks a lot better. If you can get it done properly, go for it!
Corrie - sorry, but I think they missed a bit......I mean clearly you meant to have the bit around the exhaust pipe done as well.....? :lol:
Indeed Matt, I noticed that too...

They overpainted a lot of red, on what was originally a silver car..... ;-)

#13 ·
I actually don't like the all white and do like the perfect contrast of black. I did however not like the grey that came standard on mine and I got black pack to blend it in. I had a black car though and not white.
I'm not a huge fan of white cars though seen some nice looking F paces in white :)

#14 ·
My SRT8 was black MBagder and i promised myself never to get a black car again after the state of my bonnet even after the first year from new.
But saying that after just a couple of weeks i am realising that white cars show up even the slightest dirt spatters from the roads.
My wife has a silver SLC300 and it seems the perfect colour for not looking dirty too quick.

After mailing JLR about why they chose to put the dark grey plastic on the back, there explanation has made me go for gloss black as you have suggested.

Apparently the contrast dark bumper is there to create the side slant as part of the 'F-Type" styling match.
With full white, the back end from the side would lose that inward cut and after seeing a mock-up i agree with them as from the side with the full white it makes the car's backside look like it has eaten all the pies :)

#16 ·
bottle_to_throttle said:
My SRT8 was black MBagder and i promised myself never to get a black car again after the state of my bonnet even after the first year from new.
But saying that after just a couple of weeks i am realising that white cars show up even the slightest dirt spatters from the roads.
My wife has a silver SLC300 and it seems the perfect colour for not looking dirty too quick.

After mailing JLR about why they chose to put the dark grey plastic on the back, there explanation has made me go for gloss black as you have suggested.

Apparently the contrast dark bumper is there to create the side slant as part of the 'F-Type" styling match.
With full white, the back end from the side would lose that inward cut and after seeing a mock-up i agree with them as from the side with the full white it makes the car's backside look like it has eaten all the pies :)
With you on not getting black again. I'm being super careful with zero scratch mitt and cloths but even then some very light swirl marks especially that pesky gloss plastic near windows. Silver works well and I can attest that a certain yellow holds up very well on my other car.
My Alfa was silver and the Volvo before that so was time for a dark colour (though my XF prior to this was stratos grey (black)). Storm grey perhaps was the one I should have gone for or if a certain blue was available I possibly would have gone that route.

#17 ·
bottle_to_throttle said:

Save yourself a whole load of pain and bin that quote now, it needs a proper job doing, and as said above, that is likely to be £4-500. Corries nightmare which is detailed on here with pictures, shows what a JLR dealership with a cheap price did by outsourcing to smart repairers....

#18 ·
I fear what we need is some sort of group deal with a bodyshop to get our rear bumper/diffuser finished in gloss black (from the current off-black/grey), especially for those of us with the Black Pack. Certainly something I'd seriously consider as I think the gloss black finish is required there !

Mike.

#20 ·
Looks like JLR have got the message about the cheap looking grey black bumper as the marketing people when asking about my buying experience have comfirmed that that it has been a niggle from many and the next production will be matched to the S gloss rear with a smaller skid plate.

After showing the JLR bodyshop the pic of the red S here with the 3 attempts and the flaking paint, i was not confident of their "cannot promise" answer so my friend who works for Bentley has managed to call in a few favours to get it done 'a la bentley" at one of their bodyshops which gives it a 6-coat gloss black hardshell.

Maybe JLR should do a courtesy recall for all existing grey bumpers but we can dream :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.