Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
JLRnumber5
Posts: 4229
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by JLRnumber5 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 pm

corriescar66 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 pm
Sorry, was watching the end of the X Files, so posts crossed! :-)

So, no suspension changes, but does it change steering ratio?
Steering, throttle and gearbox I think.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.


corriescar66
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by corriescar66 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 pm

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 pm
corriescar66 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 pm
Sorry, was watching the end of the X Files, so posts crossed! :-)

So, no suspension changes, but does it change steering ratio?
Steering, throttle and gearbox I think.
The one I'm currently driving has no discernible difference when switching between normal & dynamic. Eco makes it so asthmatic, I feel I should buy it an inhaler.

But it is still really nice to drive, so I'm yet to be convinced that AD is worth the money with the R Sport....


Mig
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:08 am
Location: France

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by Mig » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 am

Have a 2.0d R-Sport with AD and will receive the same without AD this week.
In the last couple of months I ended up driving in Dynamic only as the ride is much less bouncy.
I test drove without AD and I felt the ride was much smoother.
I will miss the more stable turns but I will not miss the harsh and bouncy ride.
1st F-Pace 2.0d AWD Auto R-Sport, Polaris White, Jet/Red, Shitty Adaptive Dynamics
2nd F-Pace 2.0d AWD Auto R-Sport, Polaris White, Jet/Red, No AD = much better


corriescar66
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by corriescar66 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 am

Mig wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 am
Have a 2.0d R-Sport with AD and will receive the same without AD this week.
In the last couple of months I ended up driving in Dynamic only as the ride is much less bouncy.
I test drove without AD and I felt the ride was much smoother.
I will miss the more stable turns but I will not miss the harsh and bouncy ride.
What wheels do you have?

After a weekend of many more miles in the 2.0D R Sport, without AD, I've come to the conclusion that while it is more compliant that mine with AD/CD & 22" wheels, it certainly is a lot more 'bouncy'.

I assume that this is in part to do with the 20" wheels, but without changing them for a direct comparison, I can't say for certain...

Without AD, changing modes does not change the steering either - which is a shame..


JAGFlubster
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:27 pm
Location: Thames Valley

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by JAGFlubster » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 am

corriescar66 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 am
Mig wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 am
Have a 2.0d R-Sport with AD and will receive the same without AD this week.
In the last couple of months I ended up driving in Dynamic only as the ride is much less bouncy.
I test drove without AD and I felt the ride was much smoother.
I will miss the more stable turns but I will not miss the harsh and bouncy ride.
What wheels do you have?

After a weekend of many more miles in the 2.0D R Sport, without AD, I've come to the conclusion that while it is more compliant that mine with AD/CD & 22" wheels, it certainly is a lot more 'bouncy'.

I assume that this is in part to do with the 20" wheels, but without changing them for a direct comparison, I can't say for certain...

Without AD, changing modes does not change the steering either - which is a shame..
I have a 3.0D S on 20" wheels and the ride is firm, especially in dynamic mode. So not sure if its the wheel size. Possibly the S having a firmer set up than the R sport or portfolio?

Flub!
3.0D 2018 S. Loire Blue, opening Pano roof, ictp, Adsr, space saver wheel, practicality pack, cold climate pack, HUD


User avatar
Wookiee
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by Wookiee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:10 am

corriescar66 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 pm
I don't like the fact that the centre dial changes to Rev Counter with ICTP.. With an auto, who cares what revs it changes up at? It should be an option to have speedo/rev counter reversed, maybe an even more pretentious 'race mode' with fully manual paddle or sequential stick shift, but I digress! :-)

Staying slightly off-topic, I think they've missed a trick with the TFT display. Personally, I don't really have an issue with the reversing of the speedo and rev counter, but why don't they allow you to configure the whole thing exactly as you like? What if you prefer the trip counter and other menu stuff on the right? What's the point of having an LCD screen that is effectively without limitations as to what you can put on it and then putting a load of limitations on it?! I've heard people mention the Audi dash on here previously - does that allow maximum personalisation or is it the same as the Jag?

There are plenty of things I like about the Jag display, like the full-screen map in Nav mode and the 'torch' effect on the dials, but it could have been a lot more - more skins, more colour options etc.
2018 Portfolio 25T; Firenze Red; ICTP 380; sliding pano roof; cold-climate pack; configurable dynamics; BSM; 20-way seats; privacy glass; adaptive dynamics; configurable mood lighting; spacesaver; cooled glovebox; reclining rear seats


JLRnumber5
Posts: 4229
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by JLRnumber5 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:43 am

Audi virtual cockpit allows some configuration (although not extensive) and I believe the Velar and now new RRS allow configuration too.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.


corriescar66
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by corriescar66 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Wookiee wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:10 am
corriescar66 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 pm
I don't like the fact that the centre dial changes to Rev Counter with ICTP.. With an auto, who cares what revs it changes up at? It should be an option to have speedo/rev counter reversed, maybe an even more pretentious 'race mode' with fully manual paddle or sequential stick shift, but I digress! :-)

Staying slightly off-topic, I think they've missed a trick with the TFT display. Personally, I don't really have an issue with the reversing of the speedo and rev counter, but why don't they allow you to configure the whole thing exactly as you like? What if you prefer the trip counter and other menu stuff on the right? What's the point of having an LCD screen that is effectively without limitations as to what you can put on it and then putting a load of limitations on it?! I've heard people mention the Audi dash on here previously - does that allow maximum personalisation or is it the same as the Jag?

There are plenty of things I like about the Jag display, like the full-screen map in Nav mode and the 'torch' effect on the dials, but it could have been a lot more - more skins, more colour options etc.
I think it will come to the Jag ICTP in time. Hopefully by reading these forums, as they do, they will take note and incorporate useful suggestions in future revisions.

Whether these will be able to be retrofitted to older cars via new software is another question...


corriescar66
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by corriescar66 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:07 pm

JAGFlubster wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 am
corriescar66 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 am
Mig wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 am
Have a 2.0d R-Sport with AD and will receive the same without AD this week.
In the last couple of months I ended up driving in Dynamic only as the ride is much less bouncy.
I test drove without AD and I felt the ride was much smoother.
I will miss the more stable turns but I will not miss the harsh and bouncy ride.
What wheels do you have?

After a weekend of many more miles in the 2.0D R Sport, without AD, I've come to the conclusion that while it is more compliant that mine with AD/CD & 22" wheels, it certainly is a lot more 'bouncy'.

I assume that this is in part to do with the 20" wheels, but without changing them for a direct comparison, I can't say for certain...

Without AD, changing modes does not change the steering either - which is a shame..
I have a 3.0D S on 20" wheels and the ride is firm, especially in dynamic mode. So not sure if its the wheel size. Possibly the S having a firmer set up than the R sport or portfolio?

Flub!
Unless those without AD are set to a 'medium' between suspension/steering settings for 'Dynamic' and 'Normal'?
That plus the 20" adds to the difference I can feel maybe?

It's a nice ride, but certainly feels a lot less composed/sporty than mine - even with it's dodgy AD/CD


Mig
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:08 am
Location: France

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by Mig » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 pm

I’m on 19 rims.
I’ll get my car this Friday so I’ll be able to tell you if I confirm it’s better without AD.
What I’ve come to understand is that those without AD are never complaining about how their car rides while those with AD do...
1st F-Pace 2.0d AWD Auto R-Sport, Polaris White, Jet/Red, Shitty Adaptive Dynamics
2nd F-Pace 2.0d AWD Auto R-Sport, Polaris White, Jet/Red, No AD = much better


Post Reply

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”