Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
snowman123

Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by snowman123 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 am

Hi all,
just about to pull the trigger on buying an F-Pace. Following specs:
- R-Sport 20d 180 AWD automatic
- LED, pano, ICTP, ACC, front sensor & rear camera and interior stuff (with 20" wheels)

My only remaining dilemma is whether to go for Adaptive Dynamic Drive or not? I read many negative reviews with "issues" of ADD with ICTP failing etc, but it looks this is mainly software and if they haven't already, Jaguar will update the software shortly.

So, software issues asside: WHEN IT WORKS - is ADD something that really adds to the driving experience? I only tested 20d and 30d models without ADD and in both cases I switched on the "dynamic" mode of driving and it was already a great improvement over normal. Driving response and dynamics was really great (much much better than Volvo xc60 I was also testing) and I wonder if I can get much further inprovement on the 20d model with extra ADD package (at not insignificant extra cost). If no or only small improvement over regular "dynamic" mode, then I would not go for it, but if MAJOR improvement, then I'd probably take it.

Please only let me know your experience WHEN IT WORKS and not when its failing ;)

many thanks!

Gdank

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - worth it when it works?

Post by Gdank » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am

I wouldn't buy another Jag without it.

I don't feel I need to say more to recommend it ;-)
Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!

Markotley

Post by Markotley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm

The great thing about add is that it gives the ability to set the car up the way you want as you can play with all the variables to make it handle as you would like.
3L Supercharged - Pro Touch - 20" Venom Wheels - Adaptive Cruise + Queue - Adaptive Surface Response - Surround Cameras -Head Up - Prac. Pack - Ultimate Black - Heated Steering Wheel - LED Lights

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Markotley wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm
The great thing about add is that it gives the ability to set the car up the way you want as you can play with all the variables to make it handle as you would like.
Not quite ... that's Configurable Dynamics ... easy to confuse CD with AD.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Markotley

Post by Markotley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Whoops sorry about that as I have both.
3L Supercharged - Pro Touch - 20" Venom Wheels - Adaptive Cruise + Queue - Adaptive Surface Response - Surround Cameras -Head Up - Prac. Pack - Ultimate Black - Heated Steering Wheel - LED Lights

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Markotley wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:46 pm
Not your fault .. blame JLR marketing!
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

snowman123

Post by snowman123 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:42 pm

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:50 pm
Markotley wrote:
It looks like AD and CD come with a package anyway... But my main question was really mainly on whether this Extra package makes sense and adds to the experience vs the regular "Dynamic driving" mode that is standard with F-Pace (or at least R-Sport models). I quite enjoyed Dynamic driving and it was already a great improvement. But not sure if AD (and CD) would add much more on top of it, particularly with a 20d model (I'm sure I could go wild with a 30d, but that is our of my budget range).

cheers!

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:03 pm

snowman123 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:42 pm
JLRnumber5 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:50 pm
Markotley wrote:
It looks like AD and CD come with a package anyway... But my main question was really mainly on whether this Extra package makes sense and adds to the experience vs the regular "Dynamic driving" mode that is standard with F-Pace (or at least R-Sport models). I quite enjoyed Dynamic driving and it was already a great improvement. But not sure if AD (and CD) would add much more on top of it, particularly with a 20d model (I'm sure I could go wild with a 30d, but that is our of my budget range).

cheers!
Hi Frosty!

Nice seasonal name for the start of October!

You ask a very good question. Mine has AD/CD which has it's uses for me personally as I prefer the quicker steering ratios and stiffer suspension for fast A road driving in dynamic mode. The power delivery of the 3.0l s/c is such that ECO gives a smooth experience, while dynamic throttle/gear changes are a bit frenetic for town driving. So with my engine, I'd say definitely it is an option to seriously consider. It allows some degree of personalisation.

However, it annoys me that I have to select dynamic to get sharper steering - why not have this setting in Normal/ECO? After all, it doesn't make the car particularly 'twitchy' on dual carriageways etc..

So, if you don't spec AD/CD does this mean you just get crappier steering/ride? Well, no.

For the last two weeks I have had a 2.0l D R Sport. It does not have configurable dynamics and switching to dynamic mode just seems to make the instruments go red. ECO mode with the 2.0l is not pleasant, unless you want to visit a distant relative in Albania while you're waiting for it to accelerate. But the ride on (20's) is still excellent and in many ways it corners better than mine. It still tends to 'crash' over sharp speed bumps, but on the whole, my current experience would say 'No'. With the smaller engine, it isn't a must by a long way and personally just make sure you get configurable mood lighting, to make the whole car go red inside, which will always make you feel 'sportier' for a lot less money! :D

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:31 pm

I have tested a Jag XF with 2.0d engine , and I'd still get the AD/CD.

However it's the CD part I like. Generally I drive with Engine/Gear/Suspension on ... and Steering OFF ... then turn Steering ON when I get onto a nice country lane.

That's me though ... but the difference between normal and dynamic is noticeable. Throttle response goes up, gears are held longer to max RPM, the steering is more tighter (ie directional like a Go-Kart) .... however still can't tell the difference in suspension unless I hit a bed at silly speed.
Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!

Wildcat

Post by Wildcat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:08 pm

I've got ADD in mt 25D and I'm very pleased with it, both in normal and dynamic modes
F-Pace Portfolio 2.0 Diesel 240 PS, Indus Silver, Light Oyster interior, adaptive dynamics, adaptive headlights, adaptive cruise control, infra-red reflective screen, blind spot monitoring, mud flaps

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”