Do I REALLY need winter tyres?

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
Matteus F-Pace

Re: Do I REALLY need winter tyres?

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:48 am

belt and braces -just called my insurer (LV) who confirmed that the change of both wheels and tyres did not require me to notify them. Of course, I cannot guarantee this will be the same for all insurers.
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass - covered cup holders (of course!)

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 am

Only other thing I can think of for you to be aware of is the TPMS aspect . . presumably your new rims and tyres are fitted with TPMS valves, but will the car recognise the change, or do you plan on just ignoring the dash warning that might arise while your car is wearing the winter set?
8-) . . 2.0d R-Sport, AWD, Ammonite + Blk Pk, Jet/Red

luminated

Post by luminated » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:29 am

Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 am
Interesting question regarding insurance - given that they have no idea what wheels I have on now, I'm not quite sure how this issue would arise?
The only reason I mentioned it is that I'm quite friendly with an insurance broker and the question came up once, according to him if it's a factory option (e.g. bigger wheels, sports exhaust etc) then it's meant they have been tested to meet all safety requirements but aftermarket rims quite often don't so it's always advisable to check first.

It's why you will see exhaust etc stated as OEM replacements.
F-Pace 3.0dS Glacier White, Black leather, Black Pack, 22" Double Helix Black, InControl Touch Pro 825w, Cold Cilmate Pack, 10 way with memory, AdSR, Space Saver Wheel & Lane assist.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN ;)

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 am

Hi Cat - thanks, yep you're right - I have TMPS fitted to the new wheels and I am assured by the vendor that it is the version which is compatible with the version Jaguar uses (apparently there are 2 different systems). So, providing they're right (and they'll be paying me some money back if they're not) then everything should work as before. One question I haven't addressed yet is whether the pressure should be the same as my 265/40R22s - assume the answer is yes though.
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass - covered cup holders (of course!)

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:34 am

Luminated - thanks. I guess the issue with the exhaust is that it might actually increase the power? take you point on the alloys, but wasn't an issue for LV thankfully.

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm

catwoman wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 am
Only other thing I can think of for you to be aware of is the TPMS aspect . . presumably your new rims and tyres are fitted with TPMS valves, but will the car recognise the change, or do you plan on just ignoring the dash warning that might arise while your car is wearing the winter set?
Interesting regarding TPMS, but what happens when you simply replace tyres? I assume that the TPMS is within the valves so does that mean that the existing valves need to be retained - somehow I seem to recall that I have seen tyre fitters replace valves when fitting new rubber to alloys !

Mike

For reference I have 4 x Pirelli Scorpion Winter 255/50R20 109v (J) tyres sat in my garage waiting to be put onto my alloys when the car is delivered in December as we're driving to Austria after XMAS - so I'm hoping that just swapping the rubber from the same alloys will not affect TPMS at all.
25t R-Sport AWD Auto (Corris + Ebony/Lt Oyster Stitch)
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:11 pm

mike72uk wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm
catwoman wrote:
Interesting regarding TPMS, but what happens when you simply replace tyres? I assume that the TPMS is within the valves so does that mean that the existing valves need to be retained - somehow I seem to recall that I have seen tyre fitters replace valves when fitting new rubber to alloys !

Mike

For reference I have 4 x Pirelli Scorpion Winter 255/50R20 109v (J) tyres sat in my garage waiting to be put onto my alloys when the car is delivered in December as we're driving to Austria after XMAS - so I'm hoping that just swapping the rubber from the same alloys will not affect TPMS at all.
Snap!

I have four Michelin Alpin Latitude 2 tyres which were delivered to me just this week by DPD from Tyre Leader, online supplier. 21" and came in at £996 for the lot (DOT manufacture date shows November 2016 so that's all fine then). They are now sitting comfortably on my wall mounted tyre rack in our garage.

The car (in my case a RR Velar, sister to your F-Pace) will be picked up this Saturday, 23rd Sept.

We are also off to the Austrian Tyrol for skiing over Xmas / New Year and very much looking forward to taking the new car along with the new winter tyres (brand new winters are always magical tyres as the tread depth of the sipes is all important). Let's hope for some snow though - the last two Xmas skiing seasons have been hopeless. I have been saved only by the amazing piste people in Scheffau who seem to be able to create decent skiing conditions even in blue sky weather!

Regards,

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Arianne wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:11 pm
mike72uk wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm
catwoman wrote:

Mike

Snap!

I have four Michelin Alpin Latitude 2 tyres which were delivered to me just this week by DPD from Tyre Leader, online supplier. 21" and came in at £996 for the lot (DOT manufacture date shows November 2016 so that's all fine then). They are now sitting comfortably on my wall mounted tyre rack in our garage.

The car (in my case a RR Velar, sister to your F-Pace) will be picked up this Saturday, 23rd Sept.

We are also off to the Austrian Tyrol for skiing over Xmas / New Year and very much looking forward to taking the new car along with the new winter tyres (brand new winters are always magical tyres as the tread depth of the sipes is all important). Let's hope for some snow though - the last two Xmas skiing seasons have been hopeless. I have been saved only by the amazing piste people in Scheffau who seem to be able to create decent skiing conditions even in blue sky weather!

Regards,

Arianne
We're off to Schaldming. Went last Dec/Jan too (although flew in) and was worried in early November at lack of snow (generally across the Alps) but then had a massive dump for days at the start of December so we had great conditions ! Austrian resorts are great...we love them and these days the snow making facilities are generally excellent!

My 4 Scorpion Winters (20") cost me £779 (from buy tyres.com) and dealer has agreed to fit them prior to handover ( so long as they are new). Checked Dot code too upon delivery and they're also 2016 so happy days !

Unfortunately I don't have the space in the garage to store the summers that come off on a wall rack (as much as I'd like too) so will probably pop them into tyre hotel - I see ATS do storage for £7.50 per tyre for the season which seems reasonable.....so lucky no as they don't charge an arm and a leg to swap them over !

Really looking forward to the trip in the new car !

Regards
Mike.
25t R-Sport AWD Auto (Corris + Ebony/Lt Oyster Stitch)
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Schladming, that's a bit further than us and probably higher altitude too. Have a great time. We take the DFDS Newcastle to Amsterdam overnight ferry. Expensive but exciting!

Enjoy your F-Pace. They are lovely cars.

Arianne.
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 am
Interesting question regarding insurance - given that they have no idea what wheels I have on now, I'm not quite sure how this issue would arise?

If, like my current and previous insurance policies, yours requires you to declare non-factory fit (my wording not theirs) accessories then you would need to let them know.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”