Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Suspension update?

10K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Jagfpacejk 
#1 ·
I recall someone else mentioning that whilst their car had been in had received a software update for the adaptive suspension, well I've convinced whilst getting it's first service mine too has had an update. As most will know there hasn't been much of a ride quality difference between normal and dynamic with the dynamic mode offering a better lateral/sway movement on irregular surfaces, well mine has been fine has been ok with this problem it's still there no matter how slight but no doubt the dynamic is a little better.

Well I was driving on a road I don't frequent as much as I use to and I am definitely noticing an improvement on the normal mode, much smoother with improved sway movement on my already decent one to the point I'd almost say it's gone, I'm also noticing a marked difference between the two modes in ride quality, can't put my finger on whether the normal is now softer or the dynamic is firmer but it's more noticeable for sure.

Will keep you posted as I put more miles on it but definitely thumbs up.

P.S.
Also zero issue going over speed bumps.

#2 ·
That was me

I was told it was a chassis uupdate but couldn't get anymore info than that from the dealer

It was great when first done but can be a little inconsistent when the fancy takes it

A vast improvement on how it was and a pleasure to drive. Glad you're enjoying it makes you realise what you wanted it to be when you ordered it

#3 ·
chimchimcheroo said:
That was me

I was told it was a chassis uupdate but couldn't get anymore info than that from the dealer

It was great when first done but can be a little inconsistent when the fancy takes it

A vast improvement on how it was and a pleasure to drive. Glad you're enjoying it makes you realise what you wanted it to be when you ordered it
I've been very lucky in that I was perfectly happy with how mine behaved even prior to this latest update, suffering none of the issues that have inflicted others but even I'm noticing a difference and as yet can't put my finger on what's changed.

My opinion previously was this is the most enjoyable SUV to drive bar none and now it's even better.

#8 ·
Mig said:
I left my car for the first service on Monday and I'd have to say that they should have done something with the AD as it feels better too.
Hope it will last.
Can you figure out what exactly is different because I'm almost a three weeks in and still can't decide. :lol:

#9 ·
My car was delivered back today after being in the dealers for various updates ect and have been out in it tonight and I am not sure if it's me but Dynamic Mode does not seem so crashing around, need to drive it more to decide if something has changed.

Been told mine has had every update available to resolve some of my issues.

#10 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
My car was delivered back today after being in the dealers for various updates ect and have been out in it tonight and I am not sure if it's me but Dynamic Mode does not seem so crashing around, need to drive it more to decide if something has changed.

After the update I found that it sticks to the road like the proverbial to a blanket in Dynamic Mode, as if it's on rails

#11 ·
chimchimcheroo said:
Jagfpacejk said:

After the update I found that it sticks to the road like the proverbial to a blanket in Dynamic Mode, as if it's on rails
Just down 60 miles since the update and I am torn between is it or is it not, just not sure.

#12 ·
Hopefully not too much of a change and with my new springs would always be a nervous few journeys to see if it feels better or not !

On a side note it's interesting that I'm in a disco sport. When I was with others complaining about a poor ride many did suggest perhaps it was just me not being used to how an SUV behaves. Well the disco some said was awful over bumps but not sure what they were on about as it's a dreamy cloud compared to the FPace. It still crashes and moves about over odd bumps but it's a very different suspension and feel. Very much sit back in your armchair and just wallow along. In the corners it's far more scary :), tyre screech off the roundabout to the supermarket - caught me out as used to the FPace and Mini.
I don't mind the disco at all and can see its allure to some as a car. Very practical and the 7 seats surprised me. It's very wallowy and invokes lazy driving I think, almost lulls me to switch off brain and just slouch back a little more and drive one handed and relaxed.
It's only a 2 litre and I did put it in sport and mash it to just think...oh is that it but it's fine just driving around and picks up enough though don't really enjoy the journey back to Diesel.

#13 ·
Mbadger77 said:
Hopefully not too much of a change and with my new springs would always be a nervous few journeys to see if it feels better or not !

On a side note it's interesting that I'm in a disco sport. When I was with others complaining about a poor ride many did suggest perhaps it was just me not being used to how an SUV behaves. Well the disco some said was awful over bumps but not sure what they were on about as it's a dreamy cloud compared to the FPace. It still crashes and moves about over odd bumps but it's a very different suspension and feel. Very much sit back in your armchair and just wallow along. In the corners it's far more scary :), tyre screech off the roundabout to the supermarket - caught me out as used to the FPace and Mini.
I don't mind the disco at all and can see its allure to some as a car. Very practical and the 7 seats surprised me. It's very wallowy and invokes lazy driving I think, almost lulls me to switch off brain and just slouch back a little more and drive one handed and relaxed.
It's only a 2 litre and I did put it in sport and mash it to just think...oh is that it but it's fine just driving around and picks up enough though don't really enjoy the journey back to Diesel.
I had a Disco while mine had its monthly visit to the dealer and I have to say it was a pile of rubbish, drove rubbish and handled rubbish, would not put my backside in another.

#14 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
Mbadger77 said:

I had a Disco while mine had its monthly visit to the dealer and I have to say it was a pile of rubbish, drove rubbish and handled rubbish, would not put my backside in another.
Yes I wouldn't buy one but I can see why they are popular. Meandering around town most would be happy in it, lots of configurable space and it's a bit like sitting in a chair and relaxing. I don't like the drive but many people don't care (my wife a classic example), it handles like a boat but goes over the urban bumps well enough and the point was in that respect it's much better than the FPace for comfort.
Don't like the interior or much else and hate the engine but it gets me around for a few days and was interesting.

#15 ·
What astounds me with JLR marketing, I'd need to buy an HSE Disco Sport to get a similar spec to the F Pace I did buy - it was only £200-£300 different in price. Crazy.......

#16 ·
Coopsterdude said:
What astounds me with JLR marketing, I'd need to buy an HSE Disco Sport to get a similar spec to the F Pace I did buy - it was only £200-£300 different in price. Crazy.......
Yes, I completely agree, which is why I have always thought the Jag FP actually represents fantastic value for money . . when it first came out I remember thinking, "well there's no way I'm going to be able to comfortably afford this!", but what a pleasant surprise I had!

In fact it wouldn't have surprised me if it had been more like they've price structured the Velar (which feels steep by comparison now) . . . at the time it was an opportunity too good to miss . . and even if the trade-in values have dropped like a stone when I come to move it on, I won't regret my choice one bit. One year in and it's been a fantastic car! :p

#17 ·
The V6 Petrol SC variant in the FP looks like a bargain compared to the Velar so I'd be surprised if it's residuals don't fare better than the V6 D.

I had a loan Disco Sport HSE Luxury and I can see the appeal and like MB said the comfort around town is much better than the FP. The price however. £55k. Madness. It just isn't special enough to command that price.

#18 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
The V6 Petrol SC variant in the FP looks like a bargain compared to the Velar so I'd be surprised if it's residuals don't fare better than the V6 D.

I had a loan Disco Sport HSE Luxury and I can see the appeal and like MB said the comfort around town is much better than the FP. The price however. £55k. Madness. It just isn't special enough to command that price.
You should try the Velar, the comfort with sir suspension is on another level, shame it's not available on the Fpace as I think it would sell massively.

#20 ·
Mig said:
It feels less crashy and less wallowy !
The problem for me was mine wasn't that bad at either so this improvement is subtle but unlike before then I almost always hit the dynamic mode because I preferred its ride a little more I'm now finding I prefer the normal.

#21 ·
JLRnumber5 said:

55K. I've got a disco sport HSE luxury and I thought it was 34-40K bottom of pile !!
Damn interior isn't great though it tries to be "better", it's easy to drive around town but so very dull. Handling is as poor as I expected as it's not that type of car but 55K. Wow

My FPace is head and shoulders above it in just about every area apart from its clever seat configuration and sliding back seats which is quite handy.

#23 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
You can now by a Discovery Sport in HSE Dynamic trim with the 300hp Petrol engine. That might be fun to try. I'd like to see a review for it. Still too much money though.
Be no fun around any corners :)

#24 ·
^ I've never tried a DS with Dynamic suspension but it was pretty good on my Evoque. Nothing like the FP but very good for an SUV. If the DS is anything like the Evoque (both based on the aging Freelander platform) then it should be pretty reasonable.

#26 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
You can now by a Discovery Sport in HSE Dynamic trim with the 300hp Petrol engine. That might be fun to try. I'd like to see a review for it. Still too much money though.
They would need some serious work on the whole setup, the lower spec I drove it was horrible to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.