Goodbye and thanks for all the loan cars!

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
JLRnumber5

Goodbye and thanks for all the loan cars!

Post by JLRnumber5 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Hello everyone.

Well today is a sad today. Today is the day I stop being a Jaguar Land Rover driver, which I've been for almost 11 years, and go back to "The Germans".

I've mixed emotions and it's been a roller-coaster. I remember excitedly waiting for the launch of the F Pace. 14th (or was it 15th?) September 2015 I think it was. Watching it spin around a big loop-the-loop on You Tube. Clicking on the Jaguar home page to finally see the specifications and prices launched. I'd made my mind up back as far as the Frankfurt motor show in 2013 (when the C-X17 was launched) that my Evoque would be replaced with a yet-to-be-named F-Pace. It meant I held on to the Evoque for almost 5 years, rather than the usual (for me) 3 years. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

Then it was launched. I'd set my heart on a V6. Oh blimey the price! By the time you add the nice bits it was the wrong side of £60k .. and who decided that I can't have a pale leather interior. Oh dear. I wavered. I looked again at the market. I drove a Macan, an SQ5, a GLC, an X5 and an X3. I leaned heavily towards the SQ5. The combination of pace and build quality at that price made it seem a bargain. But the looks. So dull.

Then in April last year I drove a 3.0d V6 F Pace S and I was hooked. Deposit paid there and then that day, all I had to do what wait. Five long months. It was agony! Then I found this forum. I'd never joined a forum before, but it was a way of vicariously enjoying what was to become through those lucky few who'd taken delivery of their First Editions. It also helped tremendously with the never ending spec changes that saw me spending an eye-watering £62k.

September 1st arrived (and yes I was counting number of sleeps to go for the previous few weeks) and it was everything I'd hoped for. One year in the waiting since that launch day. I was instantly hooked. Jaguar surely had pulled it out of the bag with this one.

Unfortunately it only took a few days for the shine to start to diminish with a host of issues arising. Around 18 separate issues developed over the coming weeks and the car spent more time at the dealers than it did with me. After 3 months enough was enough and I rejected JLR#5 and the (fantastic) dealer placed JLR#5.2 on order.

I took delivery of the replacement at the beginning of February and all seemed well. A couple of quirks (it ate a CD that it's never given back and the rear camera fails on occasion) but other than that (and a dim witted gearbox) it was plain sailing (driving?) until a fateful jaunt to South West France uncovered the front half-shaft bearing issue. I was gutted. I knew what it meant having read tales of woe from others on here, but I hoped somehow mine would be different. They would find a fix! Alas no, within a few days it was diagnosed as the same issue, for which currently there is no fix, so this Monday I formally rejected the car.

Harwoods bent over backwards to make this as painless as possible. They asked me if I wanted to consider another JLR vehicle but the only other thing I fancy is a Velar, which is essentially an F Pace, and they couldn't guarantee that they aren't suffering the same issues. So that's a no, however much I lust after one. So did I want my money back, or could they find me another car? "Well I nearly bought an SQ5 Plus, I think that's where I am headed for the moment" .. I told them. So they found me one (they own a few Audi dealers too).

Today we "did the deal" and for the foreseeable future I will be the owner of an Audi SQ5 Plus 3.0 BiTdi. It's one heck of a car. OK it's the old model (which means a fat discount) but I'm not keen on the new shape. Too slab sided Q7 for me. The interior build quality is epic. The spec list endless, as the outgoing final hurrah it has everything the F Pace had and more. It goes like sh*t off a shovel. Entertaining in the corners too due to the sports diff on this last model. Same torque as the FP (700Nm) but 340bhp and red lines at 5300rpm. It feels and sounds more like a V8 petrol. OK I know the sounds is artificial, but after the somewhat agricultural Ford/PSA V6 it's quite something.

Yes it's a bit boring. Even decked out with the 21" bling wheels and full black pack. I certainly won't be having a glance over my shoulder as I park up, or glimpse out of the window on occasion. I will be deleting my F Pace screen saver on my PC and shan't be replacing it with a Q5... and I won't be joining an Audi SQ5 forum, if such a thing exists. And that's the point of what I am trying to say. The F Pace has soul.... "it's a Jaaaaaguar!" .. and I connected with it. It's a huge shame I didn't get to experience long term ownership.

So mixed feelings. I feel let down, but at the same time I've come out unscathed. Full refund, and a big discount on the Audi.

I want to thank those of you on here who've been a source of entertainment, knowledge, inspiration, good humour, frustration, banter, guidance and in some cases friendship that will continue. Yes phone numbers have been exchanged, emails sent, even a few meetings have taken place. I think I will feel like a JLR owner for some time to come, and will probably return at some point, even though right now I don't think they deserve my money.

Take care everyone. I will pop on occasionally to see how you are all getting on.

JLR#5.2 no more.
Two rejected FP 3.0 V6 Diesel S. Still a massive JLR fan but driving an Audi until Jaguar gets its act together.

Jagfpacejk

Re: Goodbye and thanks for all the loan cars!

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri May 19, 2017 6:24 pm

It's a shame to read and see you go but i fully understand, tomorrow i got to see the Velar and will be asking questions for sure as one day i see a Velar will be on my drive.

I too drove the SQ5 and can agree with you on your findings but it just as you have said did not tick all the boxes which is a shame.

Keep in touch as that beer must happen soon.

Good luck mate.

Oh P.S. here's a link for you

http://www.myaudiq5.com/

:o :lol: :evil:
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Waynem

Post by Waynem » Fri May 19, 2017 6:56 pm

:shock:

YORKIE

Post by YORKIE » Fri May 19, 2017 7:07 pm

The feeling of sadness just doesn't cut it in these circumstances. We have lost three star performers of this blog in just over a month and what is really drole is that they have all given up on what was recently described as the THE WORLD CAR OF THE YEAR. There's only one word to properly express one's feelings in a sorry situation like this and I have deliberately misspelled it:

UN FAB U LOUS

Take care JLR5 and JLR5.2
2.0 D AWD PORTFOLIO-AUTO-BRG/OYSTER. 10 way front memory seats, electric steering column, privacy glass, car cover, skinny spare, deployable steps, 5 fan wheels, 5 year service plan, cup holders cover.

"honi soit qui mal y pense" :geek:

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks JK. Fortunately that link didn't work on my phone!

Cheers YORKIE old pal! I sent you a PM.
Two rejected FP 3.0 V6 Diesel S. Still a massive JLR fan but driving an Audi until Jaguar gets its act together.

YORKIE

Post by YORKIE » Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 pm

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Cheers YORKIE old pal! I sent you a PM.
I sent a response. Some of it in BRG you probably won't be surprised to hear. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2.0 D AWD PORTFOLIO-AUTO-BRG/OYSTER. 10 way front memory seats, electric steering column, privacy glass, car cover, skinny spare, deployable steps, 5 fan wheels, 5 year service plan, cup holders cover.

"honi soit qui mal y pense" :geek:

Jags cat

Post by Jags cat » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 pm

All the best for your future drives JLR#5, don't forget to still pop in when your down this way , I still owe you a beer I think!!
Such a shame it has gone this way, and the worst part is that the JLR group don't appear to give a *hit.

I fear how many of the early birds like us will still be here in a few months time also. My respects to your patience and faith and your dignity and cander through the journey with your F paces. Yet again,.....I am at lost for words.

Regards JC,
Arrived,JA65 CAT plate, 2 ltr R-sport,ammonite grey, black pack, pano roof, 22" silver helix alloys, meridian upgrade, black/red interior, mood lighting, full size spare,rear camera, serv pack,H/screen, and anything else I can get pass the wife!

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:20 pm

A real sad day JLR. Nicely written goodbye as well and I think the forum will certainly be poorer for losing your input and knowledge. I've been here a similar amount of time after finding this trove of knowledge after price release and putting my deposit down ed of October 2015.

If the Audi dulls your soul then it seems a few are happy to meet up and you can take the Badger Machine for a spin and enjoy its low slung sleekness and jumpy raucous power. I might even wait until it's patched / fixed and taunt you with a working CD player.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Mig

Post by Mig » Sat May 20, 2017 6:09 am

Sad to read this too !
I'm waiting for an offer to exchange my F-Pace since 2 months now and it seems I will have to add another 10 000€ to get the same car as I have after 12 months of issues and 28 000km with my F-Pace ordered on the 15th of September.
They've never accepted to replace my faulty car and I didn't want to start an endless trial. They say that it's fixed now but I don't feel it is.

I'm not really considering spending that much money in a brand that is not really taking care of its clients but thing is that I don't find any other appealing car except the Macan but the trunk is a bit small for me.

Let's see what I'll do.

You lucky Brits can at least reject your cars without any problem.
F-Pace 2.0d AWD Auto R-Sport, Polaris White, Jet/Red, Shitty Adaptive Dynamics

MyNameIsMatt

Post by MyNameIsMatt » Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 am

So sorry to hear this! Out of curiosity, how did the diff issue develop on your trip to France? How did the symptoms materialise and did you make it home????! Did Harwoods explain their solution or were you simply (understandably) not interested?

What a shame, I'd be gutted to be in your position as it is such a great car when it's all working.
3.0d glacier white, jet seats & headlining, privacy glass, black pack, 20" black venom, InControl Touch Pro with 380w, oh and the best bit is the remote release levers for the second row!

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”