Rear daytime running lights

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
corriescar66

Re: Rear daytime running lights

Post by corriescar66 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:56 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:08 pm
You can drive on sidelights, there is no law that says you cannot have them on at any time, but you may be right that they are insufficient in darkness but still common for people to do so but then as you say no resources to enforce things!
I'm sure some of our former (or current) members of Her Majesty's constabulary will confirm that in the UK, if conditions dictate the need for lights, then that means main/dipped beam. Technically there is about 20 mins either side of dawn/dusk where this can be disputed, but 'side' lights is a misnomer.... Effectively, they are parking lights only and are not 'driving' lights. You are right, there is no law stopping you using them when no lights are required - if you wish to persecute your little 5w bulbs for no reason....

DRLs since the end of 2011 are high intensity, which is why those pre 61 plate cars think it's cool to use their fog lights instead, which is illegal.

Personally I think these people should be rounded up.... etc etc
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

Renesis

Post by Renesis » Thu May 18, 2017 6:11 pm

I am a huge fan of DRL's I think they make the majority of modern cars very stylish and are one of the best safety features on a car. How many of us have seen people driving at dusk or night with no lights on? At least with drls they have some lights on and so are visible.

When I was younger I remember going to overtake a car on a A road at dusk and narrowly missed a head on collision because the car coming towards me had no lights on, had the car had day time lights I would have seen it so they get a big thumbs up from me.

On topic didn't know the rear lights stayed on, I've followed a few FPace sand not noticed this???
Italian Racing Red 3.0d S

Doug

Post by Doug » Thu May 18, 2017 7:13 pm

catwoman wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 am
JLRnumber5 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 9:06 am
My 2011 Evoque did this! So not that new ....

FP is the first car I've had with rear DRLs that stay on all the time. I like them, they look good and give that extra sense of safety, just knowing they're on.

On my previous Evoque the rear lights used to come on when I unlocked it, but they always went off again after about 30 seconds, even though the front DRLs stayed on . . are you sure yours used to stay on all the time JLR#5 ? if so, different to mine.
Your correct in saying RRE never had rear DRLs.
As others have said it's nothing new. My Tranists have had them for years.
F pace R sport 2d auto. Ammonite grey. Black pack. 20" black venoms. Fixed panoramic roof. Privacy glass. Mood lighting. 380w sound. 19" space saver spare. Rear view camera. Cup holder gloss cover + dog guard

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Fri May 19, 2017 1:34 pm

Jim wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 pm
I always assume that if I am having difficulty seeing vehicles in front of me (travelling in the same direction), rain, snow or fog then my rear fog lights should be on, if I can see the vehicles in front quite adequately then they should be off, day or night - how can so many drivers not do the same :o :D
This is the problem I have, when its tipping down and your windscreen wipers are going Billy-Ho trying to keep the screen clear and the car in front has rear fog lights on - all you get is the sparkles effect of the fog lights in each new rain drop on your screen as the wiper passes. It actually makes distance judgement worse because it amplifies the impact of the fog lights by thousands of times, lots of mini lenses in effect.

I routinely turn on headlights main beam when following cars with rear fog lights on and visibility considerably better than 440 yards (like dry and sunny!). Why though is a moot point, if they don't realise fog lights are on, they probably don't use their mirrors anyway!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

jp17fpace

Post by jp17fpace » Fri May 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Renesis wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:11 pm
On topic didn't know the rear lights stayed on, I've followed a few FPace sand not noticed this???
May be some of the earlier models didn't in that case?

DPE

Post by DPE » Fri May 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Not really a problem and a benefit! Must admit I didn't know about this as I have my lights set to Auto. Always have running lights on and it flicks to headlights if the daylight lowers.
F Pace 3.0d S AWD, Corris Grey, Heated Seats front/Rear, Heated Steering Wheel, Panoramic roof, Space Saver wheel and Nice wheels, lots of Stuff.. and cup covers 8-)

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”