Rear daytime running lights

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
jp17fpace

Rear daytime running lights

Post by jp17fpace » Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 am

I may be posting the obvious here - but can't seem to find any other reference.
I have just discovered that the rear lights are also on during the day as part of the daytime running light (DRL) system, wondered how many of you knew that?

Quigon

Re: Rear daytime running lights

Post by Quigon » Thu May 18, 2017 9:04 am

Its a common feature of all the newer Jags, all XE's, the new XF, etc. Although I think the F-Type was first?? I noticed the other day that Renault now do it too on their new cars.
F-Pace (MY18) Portfolio 25t Firenze/ Italian Racing Red - Light Oyster interior, Touch Pro, LEDs, BSM, Gesture Tailgate and a few other bits

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:06 am

My 2011 Evoque did this! So not that new ....
Two rejected FP 3.0 V6 Diesel S. Still a massive JLR fan but driving an Audi until Jaguar gets its act together.

mik

Post by mik » Thu May 18, 2017 10:02 am

I'm not a great fan of DRLs but if you have them it makes sense to me they should be active on both front and rear.
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 am

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 9:06 am
My 2011 Evoque did this! So not that new ....

FP is the first car I've had with rear DRLs that stay on all the time. I like them, they look good and give that extra sense of safety, just knowing they're on.

On my previous Evoque the rear lights used to come on when I unlocked it, but they always went off again after about 30 seconds, even though the front DRLs stayed on . . are you sure yours used to stay on all the time JLR#5 ? if so, different to mine.
8-) . . 2.0d R-Sport, AWD, Ammonite + Blk Pk, Jet/Red

chris

Post by chris » Thu May 18, 2017 10:28 am

I don't get this running light thing. If you can't see a car coming towards you, then you should not be anywhere near a road. As for a 38 tonne lorry having running lights why??? I can see the need on motorcycles and bikes, making them more conspicuous, but on cars buses, lorries, etc just makes them more confusing . Remember the good old days when if a car had its lights on coming towards you , it made you think hmm maybe some bad weather ahead. Rant over.
XF Portfolio 2.0d AWD ,Polaris White, Oyster Windsor leather, LEDs, 360 degree cameras Parking Pack, Infotainment Pro, 380w Meridian, cool box, spare wheel, splash guards service pack, Lifetime shine

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 am

DRL save lives. In spite of all the whingeing here a bright light on a car attracts your eye quicker and that is the whole point, its not about being able to see - agreed if blind don't drive - its about instant awareness. Look for grey cars on a grey morning on grey tarmac, many of them become difficult to see. But its not just grey, most colours with the right lighting will blend into the back ground. Orange cars become hard to see when sodium street lamps (orange ones) are about.

Stick a light on a car, no matter what colour and it stands out of all back grounds (assuming its not covered in dirt). That is the simple basis, making something show up more! I don't usually like modern trends but this one really works in my view. Why did you always spot Volvo's in the 1980's their stunning brick shaped styling or the DRL they had?

Mind you, I'd also like to see cars with faulty lights pulled up and clamped. Sloppy cars shows sloppy drivers and the chances are no MOT /Insurance and bald tyres too. Rant over :)
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 am

RaVolVoR wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 am
DRL save lives. In spite of all the whingeing here a bright light on a car attracts your eye quicker and that is the whole point, its not about being able to see - agreed if blind don't drive - its about instant awareness. Look for grey cars on a grey morning on grey tarmac, many of them become difficult to see. But its not just grey, most colours with the right lighting will blend into the back ground. Orange cars become hard to see when sodium street lamps (orange ones) are about.

Stick a light on a car, no matter what colour and it stands out of all back grounds (assuming its not covered in dirt). That is the simple basis, making something show up more! I don't usually like modern trends but this one really works in my view. Why did you always spot Volvo's in the 1980's their stunning brick shaped styling or the DRL they had?

Mind you, I'd also like to see cars with faulty lights pulled up and clamped. Sloppy cars shows sloppy drivers and the chances are no MOT /Insurance and bald tyres too. Rant over :)
Volvos didn't have extra DRLs back then, they were the side lights that stayed on when the ignition was on.... My Father got quite distressed by these as they usually heralded some old #@% that couldn't drive.... Side lights of course, not being a legal way to illuminate your car on a public highway - unless parked...

I don't mind DRLs, provided they go off when the main lights are switched off.

What does wind me up are the bunch of idiots who feel fog lights do just as well & drive with them on 24/7 rain or shine. Of course, PC Plod is way too busy catching speeders to bother with these @#@%#%s so the culture grows...
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Thu May 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Interesting that you make DRL different from sidelights, I had 3 Volvos and they all called them DRL and yes they were often the sidelights, I think Volvo coined the phrase DRL. You can drive on sidelights, there is no law that says you cannot have them on at any time, but you may be right that they are insufficient in darkness but still common for people to do so but then as you say no resources to enforce things!

Fog lights should be different thread, I've never found any front fog lights make fog easier to see through (a "pea soup" fog is the worst driving conditions in my view, far worse than snow) and I suggest they are all fashion items only. Rear ones - well 440 yards is a long way, almost no circumstances when rear fog lights are legal to use in town because there is rarely a 440 yard straight, they have good point on A roads but please not in rain.
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 pm

I always assume that if I am having difficulty seeing vehicles in front of me (travelling in the same direction), rain, snow or fog then my rear fog lights should be on, if I can see the vehicles in front quite adequately then they should be off, day or night - how can so many drivers not do the same :o :D
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”