Stop and start

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
Sheenmathew

Stop and start

Post by Sheenmathew » Sun May 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi there,

Probably this could be a daft question. To start with, I am not used to automatic cars and this F Pace is my first one. It is just about the stop and start feature. I keep it on usually but felt it annoying when I stop at a T junction to turn left/right and the the engine switching off the moment car stops. I can see the benefit when the stop and start comes into play at a traffic signal but not when I stop to turn right at a junction. Am I not doing it right?

DPE

Re: Stop and start

Post by DPE » Sun May 14, 2017 7:21 pm

I am the same, but you do get used to it. Also the stop/start on a cold engine cannot be as good as letting it get up to running temp first.
So I turn it off first thing on a morning. The rest of the time have got used to it.
F Pace 3.0d S AWD, Corris Grey, Heated Seats front/Rear, Heated Steering Wheel, Panoramic roof, Space Saver wheel and Nice wheels, lots of Stuff.. and cup covers 8-)

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sun May 14, 2017 7:44 pm

To be honest its only fitted so they can meet the new laws with cars and pollution.

I turn it off every time i drive the car as personally i find it a pain in the backside, just wish it would remember the fact i turned it off as every time you start the car you have to turn it off.

On other makes i have owned that had this feature you could turn it off and keep it off until you pressed the button again, so if you turned the car off and then back on again it remembered the last setting so you did not have to keep turning it on and off all the time.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 am

^ +1
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass - covered cup holders (of course!)

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon May 15, 2017 10:28 am

First had Stop - Start with my XF, drove that for 5 years and now the FP, to be honest I don't even notice it any more.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Mon May 15, 2017 10:52 am

I had odd occurrence this morning. Mostly my journeys are too short and weather too cold for stop start to kick in. So this morning I was parking at station and as I finished put it in Park and the engine cut out. I assume (I'll know tonight) that the stop start coincidentally kicked in just as I put it in park. Opening the door turned it all off so I can't be sure but I was surprised that engine cut out. If not Stop/Start I may have a problem.. ho hum!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

Quigon

Post by Quigon » Mon May 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi RaVolVoR, sounds like normal behaviour of the auto stop/start and the Driver Exit feature, which activates when the seat belt is unbuckled in Park. Hope it starts ok though!

So far, auto stop/start with an auto box hasn't bothered me. To get the most benefit I guess it needs to stop as soon as conditions are right, which sometimes (like at junctions) can be very short lived, but then it starts very quickly (at least my 25t does - in fact the engine is so quiet you don't always notice an auto-stop). I found it far more irritating with my manual XE.
F-Pace (MY18) Portfolio 25t Firenze/ Italian Racing Red - Light Oyster interior, Touch Pro, LEDs, BSM, Gesture Tailgate and a few other bits

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon May 15, 2017 12:28 pm

One thing that has not been mentioned is the extra wear on the components that start your car, if every time you stop it cuts out and your in a traffic Que it could cut off and switch back on more times then most people would do in a year of normal starting the car, wonder what the wear rate is on the starter motor ect for doing this thousands more times then it would without it.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

mik

Post by mik » Mon May 15, 2017 12:39 pm

It doesn't have a starter motor Afaik. The alternator is used - in a powered mode - to start the car quickly. Normal on most stop/start equipped vehicles.
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:14 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 10:52 am
I had odd occurrence this morning. Mostly my journeys are too short and weather too cold for stop start to kick in. So this morning I was parking at station and as I finished put it in Park and the engine cut out. I assume (I'll know tonight) that the stop start coincidentally kicked in just as I put it in park. Opening the door turned it all off so I can't be sure but I was surprised that engine cut out. If not Stop/Start I may have a problem.. ho hum!
This is correct and normal. Releasing your seat belt told the car that you aren't intending to move off again, and therefore when you released the footbrake it turned the car off. When you are used to it it's actually a clever function.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”