Remote start - again slight twist

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
RaVolVoR

Remote start - again slight twist

Post by RaVolVoR » Fri May 12, 2017 9:59 am

In another thread

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2832&start=20 it is mentioned that in Germany remote start is not allowed so it is not offered to users.

By that logic Jaguar are actually saying that remote start is allowed in the UK because they offer it. If it is not allowed then they should stop it here just as in Germany. I know someone threw at me "your car can do over 70mph but that doesn't make it legal" and I agree. This however is different, jaguar apparently have actively disabled something for a specific market because it is not allowed, the long running arguments here before said much the same so Jaguar by offering this have flouted local UK law and should be forced to recall all cars with this option and remove it?

Seems the only right thing to do or Jaguar accept all responsibility including insurance companies who don't pay out for stolen cars taken while remote start is in use (though who in their right mind would admit it is beyond me!).
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

catwoman

Re: Remote start - again slight twist

Post by catwoman » Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am

I don't know why Remote Start is not allowed in Germany, perhaps due to stricter environmental laws?, but anyway, the point is that it is allowed in law here in the UK . . . technically not on a public highway, but if it's on your driveway or private property then there is absolutely no law against using it.
8-) . . 2.0d R-Sport, AWD, Ammonite + Blk Pk, Jet/Red

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 am

Not sure its a Jaguar alone issue as every manufacture in the UK now has or is looking at having cars with remote start, they should not remove it but sort out the issues.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Fri May 12, 2017 11:26 am

catwoman wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am
I don't know why Remote Start is not allowed in Germany, perhaps due to stricter environmental laws?, but anyway, the point is that it is allowed in law here in the UK . . . technically not on a public highway, but if it's on your driveway or private property then there is absolutely no law against using it.
Allowed but not on a highway... I love it! I'm not sure this is true, if you leave your car with engine running on your drive way and it gets stolen, if the insurance company find out, they won't pay up.

Anyway I was just making the point that Jaguar can do things if told to, but as ever the UK faff's around with things like this and no one has a clue!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Fri May 12, 2017 12:24 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 11:26 am
Allowed but not on a highway... I love it! I'm not sure this is true...

I can assure you, it is true . . it's there in print, in unambiguous black and white, in the current Highway Code.

The following is a direct quote taken from Rule 123, The Driver and the Environment.
You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.
8-) . . 2.0d R-Sport, AWD, Ammonite + Blk Pk, Jet/Red

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri May 12, 2017 12:29 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 11:26 am
catwoman wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am
Allowed but not on a highway... I love it! I'm not sure this is true, if you leave your car with engine running on your drive way and it gets stolen, if the insurance company find out, they won't pay up.

Anyway I was just making the point that Jaguar can do things if told to, but as ever the UK faff's around with things like this and no one has a clue!
The part about being on your drive is true but not illegal, you can leave you car running on your drive without a care in the world legally, do it on a public highway and you could be subject to a fine ect.

Regarding the insurance, well thats a different story.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Crazy... as I said, UK legislators can take a simple idea and make it incomprehensible. Why allow something to be sold then block it for 90% of its available time in use.. I'll never figure out this country! At least in Germany I suspect its banned all the time!

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri May 12, 2017 2:27 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 pm
Crazy... as I said, UK legislators can take a simple idea and make it incomprehensible. Why allow something to be sold then block it for 90% of its available time in use.. I'll never figure out this country! At least in Germany I suspect its banned all the time!
For the small amount of time i need to use the system i will not loose any sleep about it to be honest, working or not. ;)

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Fri May 12, 2017 3:35 pm

very true!

dw-fp-jag

Post by dw-fp-jag » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Surely if you 'remote start' your car on your drive it still keeps the doors locked so not too many worries about some passer by just jumping in and nicking it?
Still waiting for delivery of mine and don't have the added remote 'option' but believe I can do it via the free phone app; please correct me if I've been misinformed.
R Sport 250D Auto, Silicon Silver, ebony/oyster, ICTP, adaptive dynamics and lights, park assist, blind spot, 4-way lumbar, heated folding mirrors, heated w/screen, i/r screen, pan roof, keyless, space saver, 350mm brakes, boot release. Due in Sept.

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”