Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Remote start - again slight twist

18K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  Reggraham 
#1 ·
In another thread

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2832&start=20 it is mentioned that in Germany remote start is not allowed so it is not offered to users.

By that logic Jaguar are actually saying that remote start is allowed in the UK because they offer it. If it is not allowed then they should stop it here just as in Germany. I know someone threw at me "your car can do over 70mph but that doesn't make it legal" and I agree. This however is different, jaguar apparently have actively disabled something for a specific market because it is not allowed, the long running arguments here before said much the same so Jaguar by offering this have flouted local UK law and should be forced to recall all cars with this option and remove it?

Seems the only right thing to do or Jaguar accept all responsibility including insurance companies who don't pay out for stolen cars taken while remote start is in use (though who in their right mind would admit it is beyond me!).

#2 ·
I don't know why Remote Start is not allowed in Germany, perhaps due to stricter environmental laws?, but anyway, the point is that it is allowed in law here in the UK . . . technically not on a public highway, but if it's on your driveway or private property then there is absolutely no law against using it.

#4 ·
catwoman said:
I don't know why Remote Start is not allowed in Germany, perhaps due to stricter environmental laws?, but anyway, the point is that it is allowed in law here in the UK . . . technically not on a public highway, but if it's on your driveway or private property then there is absolutely no law against using it.
Allowed but not on a highway... I love it! I'm not sure this is true, if you leave your car with engine running on your drive way and it gets stolen, if the insurance company find out, they won't pay up.

Anyway I was just making the point that Jaguar can do things if told to, but as ever the UK faff's around with things like this and no one has a clue!

#5 ·
RaVolVoR said:
Allowed but not on a highway... I love it! I'm not sure this is true...
I can assure you, it is true . . it's there in print, in unambiguous black and white, in the current Highway Code.

The following is a direct quote taken from Rule 123, The Driver and the Environment.

You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

#6 ·
RaVolVoR said:
catwoman said:
Allowed but not on a highway... I love it! I'm not sure this is true, if you leave your car with engine running on your drive way and it gets stolen, if the insurance company find out, they won't pay up.

Anyway I was just making the point that Jaguar can do things if told to, but as ever the UK faff's around with things like this and no one has a clue!
The part about being on your drive is true but not illegal, you can leave you car running on your drive without a care in the world legally, do it on a public highway and you could be subject to a fine ect.

Regarding the insurance, well thats a different story.

#7 ·
Crazy... as I said, UK legislators can take a simple idea and make it incomprehensible. Why allow something to be sold then block it for 90% of its available time in use.. I'll never figure out this country! At least in Germany I suspect its banned all the time!

#8 ·
RaVolVoR said:
Crazy... as I said, UK legislators can take a simple idea and make it incomprehensible. Why allow something to be sold then block it for 90% of its available time in use.. I'll never figure out this country! At least in Germany I suspect its banned all the time!
For the small amount of time i need to use the system i will not loose any sleep about it to be honest, working or not. ;)

#10 ·
Surely if you 'remote start' your car on your drive it still keeps the doors locked so not too many worries about some passer by just jumping in and nicking it?
Still waiting for delivery of mine and don't have the added remote 'option' but believe I can do it via the free phone app; please correct me if I've been misinformed.

#12 ·
Also, not only is it possible from the App, it actually prevents you from starting the car remotely if it isn't locked and the alarm armed.

I quite often use the remote start when I'm in hotels just before leaving my room on the way to checking out, or if it is frosty from breakfast before going back to my room, etc. A very handy way of ensuring that in the morning the car is nice and warm when I get in or at the other end of the day in the summer ensuring the car is nice and cool when leaving the office to drive home.

#13 ·
I used mine last winter, and, 'showed it off' a couple of times to friends from the house, I am quite remote so lucky people passing by won't see it,

It's great to have and when frosty it automatically kicks in the heated screen, terrific

#14 ·
Dw,

Comes as standard on the automatic, on a manual it i an added feature that you purchase.
I was going to order it on mine until the dealer advised as i was getting anyway after ordering my auto

Regards

Jarms

#15 ·
Cheers Jarms, apart from turning the a/c and heating on do you know what else can be controlled via the remote phone app?

#16 ·
dw-fp-jag said:
Surely if you 'remote start' your car on your drive it still keeps the doors locked so not too many worries about some passer by just jumping in and nicking it?
Still waiting for delivery of mine and don't have the added remote 'option' but believe I can do it via the free phone app; please correct me if I've been misinformed.
Yes it's available via the remote app providing it's an automatic - I don't believe the option is available on manual cars.

#17 ·
Is this really an issue?
As far as I can see the engine running is a non point (other than the environmental impact).
The car is still locked, park brake on, in neutral, immobilised (you cannot move it without the key), so I really cannot see what all the fuss is about, other than the environment stuff, and I'm sure that jaguar could argue that the car coming up to temperature slowly on someone's drive is more beneficial to the dolphins than jumping in it and driving it at low temperatures, and low efficiency for 10 miles.

It's probably banned in Germany because audi, BMW, and Mercedes do not have it. ;)

#20 ·
pstoehr1964 said:
HI,
XERoy said:
It's probably banned in Germany because audi, BMW, and Mercedes do not have it. ;)
no, that is not the reason. According to the STVO §30 it is strictly forbidden.

Greetings from Germany
Peter
Greetings. It was a joke, not really serious.

#21 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Forbidden in the UK on a public highway too. Didn't stop me 'risking it' however.
I use it all the time in the winter, public roads, car parks etc... Have done so since 2015 in my xe. Never had any issues.

I actually used it today to cool down the car. Lovely.

As far as the legal aspects are concerned, at home and abroad, I think that due to my earlier points about the car being locked, immobilised etc that this is a case of the law needing to catch up with modern technology. It was probably written when you had to have the keys in the ignition to start a car, back in the bad old days.

R

#24 ·
dw-fp-jag said:
Cheers Jarms, apart from turning the a/c and heating on do you know what else can be controlled via the remote phone app?
VEHICLE STATUS INFORMATION
Check current fuel level and range, and status of door and window position and locks. See the last parked location of your Jaguar and find your way back to it with on-foot directions.

VEHICLE MAINTENANCE ALERTS
You will be able to view maintenance issues - for example low fluid levels - and get advice on what to do next.

JOURNEY HISTORY
This opt-in feature can automatically record your journey history including your route and mileage statistics. This information can be exported by email in Excel format for expense reporting.

REMOTE CLIMATE CONTROL
Prepare your Jaguar in advance by setting temperatures to keep you and all your passengers comfortable from the moment you step inside. It is powered by remotely starting the engine.*

REMOTE BEEP AND FLASH
This feature turns on your Jaguar's hazard lights, dipped headlights and an audible alert to help you locate it in a crowded car park.

REMOTE LOCK AND UNLOCK
Lock or unlock your doors remotely with the click of a button. Simply press the 'lock' button on the Vehicle Security screen of the InControl Remote Smartphone App to single lock the doors, arm the alarm, fold in the wing mirrors and close the windows. Press the 'unlock' button to unfold the wing mirrors, turn on the dipped headlights and cause the hazard lights to flash twice.
REMOTE ALARM RESET
You will get an alert on your smartphone if your car alarm goes off, allowing you to reset it if required.

WAKE-UP FUNCTION
To conserve battery power certain non-essential Remote features will shut down if you don't drive your Jaguar for 4 days.

Therefore if you'd like to be able to use these services after this period of time, you can schedule a Wake-Up, which will reactivate features such as remote climate control and lock/unlock features.

The Remote Smartphone App features will be automatically reactivated the next time your Jaguar is driven.

#25 ·
Re the 4th point above - Surely it just starts the electrical systems for 'Remote Climate Control' and doesn't actually 'start the engine' on your drive or wherever its parked?

#26 ·
dw-fp-jag said:
Re the 4th point above - Surely it just starts the electrical systems for 'Remote Climate Control' and doesn't actually 'start the engine' on your drive or wherever its parked?
Yep, starts the engine, sits there wherever you've parked it, idling away merrily . . warms the car up on a cold morning, air-con cools it down on a warm afternoon . . . lots of threads discussing this feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.