snow socks or snow chains

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
Arianne

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by Arianne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:15 pm

Check this test review out. I have no idea what on Earth he is saying but, skip to 20mins and see a test in deep snow like no other :shock:

https://youtu.be/EFjDoSxLUWU

Different. Don't think Bonkers will be booking this place for a holiday ;)

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Actually, this one is far, far better and great for the Ammonite Club members. Some truly beautiful shots here. If you're busy then fast track to 7mins. Enjoy...

https://youtu.be/fH1_z9XP5Ss

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:56 pm

Arianne wrote:Actually, this one is far, far better and great for the Ammonite Club members. Some truly beautiful shots here. If you're busy then fast track to 7mins. Enjoy...

https://youtu.be/fH1_z9XP5Ss

Arianne
Ok .... now I want some snow!!! That looks fun!
Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!

Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:04 am

So to recap on my initial enquiry!!

I need to buy Winter tyres which will probably cost me in Excess of £1200,00 just in case there is snow when i get to the alps region.
I am Going to Plan Peisey (Les Arcs) and will park up the car once there.

Seems an expensive choice for a weeks holiday!!
I also need to buy Snow chains instead of using snow socks? Is this correct?

I guess the chains go on both back wheels then. Is that correct?

If i go for the jaguar snow sock (Part Number T4A11492) i assume i need 2 of these.
Is it true that these are throw away items after used once?

Regards,

Tight as a drum!!
2.0d R-Sport, AWD, Italian Racing Red /Black seats, Black Pack, 19" Blade, in Control Touch Pro, Oyster Headlining, Privacy Glass, Pano, with sun roof, Config Dynamics, Heated Windscreen, Folding Mirrors, Space Svr Wheel, CUP HOLDER COVER!

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:31 am

The kids have just departed to the Alps, they have an Evoke with all season tyres a block tread, no chains needed, they will not let you up the mountain until the deep snow is cleared.
I asked nicely for Conti Cross Contact on the FPace ( and got them) because I live out in the sticks, slippery conditions are normal and need to tow trailers on grass and tracks. The traction control works very well, however a ribbed tyre like PZeros are a waste of time off clean Tarmac.
Best bet is buy a set of sensibly priced winter or all season tyres on 18 inch rims, nothing extreme, tyres with a 10% off road rating will make a big difference, use them Dec to Feb and you will get home!.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

Johnnyboy wrote:So to recap on my initial enquiry!!

I need to buy Winter tyres which will probably cost me in Excess of £1200,00 just in case there is snow when i get to the alps region.
I am Going to Plan Peisey (Les Arcs) and will park up the car once there.

Seems an expensive choice for a weeks holiday!!
I also need to buy Snow chains instead of using snow socks? Is this correct?

I guess the chains go on both back wheels then. Is that correct?

If i go for the jaguar snow sock (Part Number T4A11492) i assume i need 2 of these.
Is it true that these are throw away items after used once?

Regards,

Tight as a drum!!

Okay, sorry to have hijacked your thread. Let me try and compensate with this post.....

First, you are in France and I am assuming that there is a snowchain road sign at the bottom of the road leading up to the resort. In this case you need to ensure that your snow socks are compliant with French law so that they are considered suitable replacements for snow chains. The link below meets this standard. Cost for your car is £70 if you have 22" wheels, for a pair. You will need two pairs, as you say, because you have rear wheel drive but it's the front wheels that steer and also because the weight moves to the front under braking.

http://www.autosockdirect.co.uk/product ... &x=36&y=18

Secondly, snow socks are designed to get you out of trouble. Chains are a bit better but, without winter tyres, there's probably not much between them thinking about your requirements as set out in your last post. I would go for the socks, they're cheaper, easier to fit and don't weigh a ton. Socks are reusable, won't damage your alloy tims and they're easier to store.

Thirdly, lets talk about the winter tyres. If you are only going skiing for a week and you won't be doing ski-drive again next year / year after, then £1,200 (fully fitted) is too much to spend. In such circumstances I would just take the chance and pray for snow on the piste but not on the road! If the journey from the valley floor up to the resort is all you are worried about then depend upon your four snow socks if needed. If it's a more extensive journey planned through roads prone to freezing and snow then invest in winter tyres as driving in snow socks or chains for many, many miles isn't advisable in all reality.

So this is just my opinion. That's the thing with ski-drive, there's a lot to think about beforehand.

Best wishes,

Arianne

Jasonfpace

Post by Jasonfpace » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:55 am

Anyone found the Pirelli 22" snow tyres in stock?
White 3.0d, black/red seats and black roof, privacy glass, black pack, 22" double helix, panoramic sliding roof, cup holder cover and rear release lever.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Not looking good, tried all my usual online providers that were stocking them a few weeks back but they are all out of stock now. That's the way it goes, they don't want to be stuck with them come Spring so when they're gone they're gone.

Ring around and maybe the retailer can order them in special?

Arianne

Jasonfpace

Post by Jasonfpace » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Arianne wrote:Not looking good, tried all my usual online providers that were stocking them a few weeks back but they are all out of stock now. That's the way it goes, they don't want to be stuck with them come Spring so when they're gone they're gone.

Arianne
Hi Arianne

Have tried local and major retailers with no luck!

Just find the Pirelli p zero so sloppy even with just a bit of rain, will stick with what I have and be careful and hope it doesn't snow!
White 3.0d, black/red seats and black roof, privacy glass, black pack, 22" double helix, panoramic sliding roof, cup holder cover and rear release lever.

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 am

Arianne wrote:Not looking good, tried all my usual online providers that were stocking them a few weeks back but they are all out of stock now. That's the way it goes, they don't want to be stuck with them come Spring so when they're gone they're gone.

Arianne
:shock: On the one hand I should be feeling fairly smug that I got mine 2 weeks ago. Instead I'm thinking I hope I don't get a puncture in the next 4 months!

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”