snow socks or snow chains

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
StevenH
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:54 am

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by StevenH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:19 pm

JLRnumber5 wrote:
StevenH wrote:Off to Val d'Isere just after New Year.
Maybe see you on La Face .. I will be the slightly out-of-control one.
I should be easier to spot. Assuming the tyres work driving up and down the high street I will be the one attempting to drive up La Face to see just how good those tyres are!

You driving? I had assumed I would be only F Pace in the village.


JLRnumber5
Posts: 4229
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by JLRnumber5 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:30 pm

No we are taking the snow train from St Pancras.

If you manage to get the FP up the slopes you can pick me up at Folie Douce!
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.


StevenH
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:54 am

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by StevenH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:42 pm

Gdank wrote:Ok I think we can all agree socks or chains are not good compared to a good tyre.

However for me it's more an emergency situation where I'm caught out and about and it snows.

In that situation and assume I've still got normal 22" wheels and summer tyres .... would me carrying socks be any benefit? Or will I just be stuck ?
Don't know as I've never used them. Have had 2 XF's and always used Thule k Summits with summer tyres and they got me through although probably not that pretty. Bit hairy getting out of Val Thorens last April (i.e. Going downhill with little grip on the steering wheels).

I suspect that in the same way the sock people originally said that there were no socks to fit the 265 40 22 but after a bit of further questioning changed their mind, that in the end Thule/Koenig will eventually decide that there is a k Summit that fits our wheel. After all they do quote it fitting a 275 40 22, which as far as my understanding extends is simply the same size but a bit wider. Given the fact these simply attach to the front of the wheel attached to a wheel nut I struggle to see why the same size would not fit, and given the choice of sock or k Summit I would choose the latter because I know they work.

I was kind of going with your argument for a while but in the end decided it was a bit illogical to spend £60k+ on a 4 wheel drive car and then find I couldn't actually drive around in the snow, and whilst a new set of tyres is expensive, it's more about cash flow than real cost as my tyres will last twice as long.


User avatar
Arianne
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:54 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by Arianne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:44 pm

rsport_paul wrote:I once went to Runcorn Dry Ski slope, does that count?
I did that when I first learned to ski. Better to learn the basics in the UK so you can enjoy your first holiday in the resort properly. What's the point of travelling hundreds of miles and paying all that money just to spend hours with some instructor telling you how to put your boots on, how to fit them in the ski bindings and learning to snowplough stop - all in some kind of funny mix of German and English mixed language. Nope, learn the basics here and then enjoy how forgiving real snow is afterwards. Just be careful not to fall, put your hand out to catch yourself on the matting and then break your thumb as it gets trapped in the matting but your body is still moving forward. Done that, been there - it's called Hillend Thumb up here in Scotland after the big dry ski centre outside Edinburgh in the Pentland Hills. The NHS people went the extra mile and made a bespoke splint for me that slipped into my glove to protect my hand and thumb - how good is NHS Scotland? Very, very good.

Gdank wrote:Ok I think we can all agree socks or chains are not good compared to a good tyre. However for me it's more an emergency situation where I'm caught out and about and it snows. In that situation and assume I've still got normal 22" wheels and summer tyres .... would me carrying socks be any benefit? Or will I just be stuck ?
22" fat summer tyres in snow, even with AWD = going nowhere and looking a right dip. Same combination + snowsocks and you will just about get out of trouble providing conditions are not too awful, the gradient isn't too steep and you're not planning to travel far. They will give you a bit of traction to get you out of trouble. Better than nothing.

As for buying some proper winter tyres now for the 22" wheels - that's looking like a challenge. Just checked my usual websites and they're all sold out. They only stock a limited supply as, for cash flow reasons, they don't want to be stuck with excess stock after the winter has ended. MyTyres.com, Camskill and Black Circles don't have any....

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!


User avatar
Bonkers
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:08 pm
Location: Stony Stratford

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by Bonkers » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:50 pm

My top tip:
Save your money for a PROPER holiday. You know - the ones where it's sunny and warm and you can walk around / lie around in shorts and a T-shirt.
Snow you say? No mate - don't go outside in that shit
3.0D Ultimate black w/black pack, std 20" Blades, ICTP, adaptive cruise, etc, etc


User avatar
redonebe
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:01 pm
Location: Antwerp region, Belgium

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by redonebe » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Gdank wrote:Ok I think we can all agree socks or chains are not good compared to a good tyre.

However for me it's more an emergency situation where I'm caught out and about and it snows.

In that situation and assume I've still got normal 22" wheels and summer tyres .... would me carrying socks be any benefit? Or will I just be stuck ?
If your 22" are P-Zeros you are going nowhere on snow or ice. My BMW 1 with those tyres can't even get out of the driveway in the snow. Google P-Zero+snow and you will now why it is not a good idea.
2.0D Prestige, Ultimate Black, Jet, Intouch Pro , privacy, 18" Lightweight 15, cup holder cover....,


User avatar
Arianne
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:54 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by Arianne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Bonkers wrote:My top tip:
Save your money for a PROPER holiday. You know - the ones where it's sunny and warm and you can walk around / lie around in shorts and a T-shirt.
Snow you say? No mate - don't go outside in that shit
So, I could be wrong, but it sounds like a winter ski holiday might not be your preferred option? I am quite perceptive like that - you know, tonal inflexion, subtle use of language and emphasis etc. :D

The sunny holiday is great, but the winter ski holiday is altogether different and never boring. Personally, we do both. Why not try California - enjoy the sun in the morning and then pop up country for a bit of skiing in the afternoon?

Arianne
Last edited by Arianne on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!


User avatar
catwoman
Posts: 1791
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by catwoman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:19 pm

redonebe wrote:If your 22" are P-Zeros you are going nowhere on snow or ice. My BMW 1 with those tyres can't even get out of the driveway in the snow. Google P-Zero+snow and you will now why it is not a good idea.
+1 . . . they're no good on mud either :(

It was (and still is, for that matter) quite a disappointment to me that these amazing cars are supplied with these tyres, while they might be great on tarmac, it seems such a wasted opportunity that you can't truly exploit some of it's unique (for a Jaguar) 4 wheel drive capabilities on P Zeros. In an ideal world the customer should be able to specify which sort of tyres they would like when ordering a car of this value . . when you consider how you can configure just about anything else to your exact requirements it seems a major omission not to be able to have some tyre choice as well.

I very much doubt I'll be putting the P Zeros back on the car after the winter season.
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options


User avatar
Arianne
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:54 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by Arianne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:22 pm

^^. In the USA they can choose straight summer tyres or All Seasons (a compromise tyre). Except for 22" rims where your choice is just summers.

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!


Gdank
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by Gdank » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Arianne wrote: 22" fat summer tyres in snow, even with AWD = going nowhere and looking a right dip. Same combination + snowsocks and you will just about get out of trouble providing conditions are not too awful, the gradient isn't too steep and you're not planning to travel far. They will give you a bit of traction to get you out of trouble. Better than nothing.

As for buying some proper winter tyres now for the 22" wheels - that's looking like a challenge. Just checked my usual websites and they're all sold out. They only stock a limited supply as, for cash flow reasons, they don't want to be stuck with excess stock after the winter has ended. MyTyres.com, Camskill and Black Circles don't have any....

Arianne
Thanks Arianne, I am talking about London weather ... so snow about once per 4 years and only 6" ... that normally stops the whole country :lol:

If I was going for a 2nd' set of tyre's I'd fork out for the wheels too and change them to the 19" one's.
Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!


Post Reply

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”