snow socks or snow chains

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
Arianne

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by Arianne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Travel itinerary for us.....

DFDS Newcastle to Amsterdam overnight ferry. Leaves at 17:00 and arrives in IJmuiden at 9:30am. We have a suite on the top floor, dinner in the restaurant and the most wonderful breakfast before travelling to our apartment in Austria. Arrive around 8pm. Volvo seats mean that you step out as fresh as when you started the journey, their seats are widely recognised as being some of the best in the business. That's why we went for the top 14 way sports seats in the F-pace.

Best experience we ever had :cry: ........ stopped for an overnight fill up at the Autohof on the German autobahn in the early hours. Temperature was -12c. Alfa Romeo's petrol filler cap had frozen. We were almost out of fuel. Try as I might we couldn't get the key to budge the lock of the petrol filler cap. Mrs A then asked to have a go and promptly broke the key in the cap :roll:

Nest stop ADAC rescue. Having nearly frozen my hand to the receiver of the handset in the phone booth to make the call, they told me that they didn't start until 7am so we almost froze in our car with a small baby (the people in the Autohof at that time of night / morning looked like folk from the bar at Mos Eisley from Star Wars). Ah, the joys of Alfa Romeo and the wonderful Mrs A.

ADAC man came and, after we had waited for hours for his expert, skilful magic - he proceeded to lift a heavy flat-blade screwdriver from his toolbox and hammer it through the plastic filler cap. He then used it to swivel and unscrew the cap which was then no good to man or beast :o We spent the rest of the holiday using the top of a Pringles crisp tube as a temprorary filler cap so that our fussy Alfa girl wouldn't ignite if some comical Tyrolean guy flicked his Austria Tabak fag end into the filler neck!

Life, you can't beat it!

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Off to Val d'Isere just after New Year. I have the 22" wheels so somewhat restricted winter options (still no chains advertised as fitting) but after some sound advice from Arianne on another thread and some detective work by me I have gone for the Pirelli Scorpions (full winters with the three peak mountain and snowflake) with a set of snow socks which I hope are to make me legally compliant rather than for actual use. The new tyres look fabulous and have been used successfully in semi anger in a very muddy sports ground and some gradient and lots of parked cars and they were great (whilst it was warm I think the summers would have struggled for grip). Hoping for some serious snow for the drive down, both to see what the F Pace is like in those conditions, but also because I ski off more than on piste so snow making not that helpful!

S.

Jasonfpace

Post by Jasonfpace » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:52 pm

StevenH wrote:Off to Val d'Isere just after New Year. I have the 22" wheels so somewhat restricted winter options (still no chains advertised as fitting) but after some sound advice from Arianne on another thread and some detective work by me I have gone for the Pirelli Scorpions (full winters with the three peak mountain and snowflake) with a set of snow socks which I hope are to make me legally compliant rather than for actual use. The new tyres look fabulous and have been used successfully in semi anger in a very muddy sports ground and some gradient and lots of parked cars and they were great (whilst it was warm I think the summers would have struggled for grip). Hoping for some serious snow for the drive down, both to see what the F Pace is like in those conditions, but also because I ski off more than on piste so snow making not that helpful!

S.
Where did you get your tyres from may I ask?
White 3.0d, black/red seats and black roof, privacy glass, black pack, 22" double helix, panoramic sliding roof, cup holder cover and rear release lever.

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:13 pm

I got them from a local branch of Merityre, who I think sourced them from Germany. They were quite some way off being the cheapest option, but they do store the other tyres properly at their main depot for no cost whereas most other people seemed to charge something, if they could store at all. My dealer could not store and I would rather not have the bother.

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:15 pm

StevenH wrote:Off to Val d'Isere just after New Year.
Maybe see you on La Face .. I will be the slightly out-of-control one.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Ok I think we can all agree socks or chains are not good compared to a good tyre.

However for me it's more an emergency situation where I'm caught out and about and it snows.

In that situation and assume I've still got normal 22" wheels and summer tyres .... would me carrying socks be any benefit? Or will I just be stuck ?
Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!

Jasonfpace

Post by Jasonfpace » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:43 pm

StevenH wrote:I got them from a local branch of Merityre, who I think sourced them from Germany. They were quite some way off being the cheapest option, but they do store the other tyres properly at their main depot for no cost whereas most other people seemed to charge something, if they could store at all. My dealer could not store and I would rather not have the bother.
Thanks, I'll give them a call. Any ideas on cost?
White 3.0d, black/red seats and black roof, privacy glass, black pack, 22" double helix, panoramic sliding roof, cup holder cover and rear release lever.

Joemax

Post by Joemax » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:05 pm

I swear by snow tyres, have used them for the past 9 years, don't like the thought of digging out snow, fumbling to put the chains on with frozen hands and then on top of that all the black muck you get on your hands. Then taking them off because theres no more snow on the road, nope, thats too much of a rigmarole. Its worth spending the extra and not think about if and when you will have to get the socks or chains out of the boot. Besides, theres no big significance in performance between winter and summer tyres depending the quality and the speed limit you chose on the winter tyre.
Order your tyres online, way cheaper.
S p a c e, P a c e & G r a c e
White 2L auto R Sport, 19" Bionics, standard Jag Nav, all black leather, front and rear sensors and thats pretty much about it chaps just the basics, Im old school you see.

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:13 pm

Jasonfpace wrote:
StevenH wrote:I got them from a local branch of Merityre, who I think sourced them from Germany. They were quite some way off being the cheapest option, but they do store the other tyres properly at their main depot for no cost whereas most other people seemed to charge something, if they could store at all. My dealer could not store and I would rather not have the bother.
Thanks, I'll give them a call. Any ideas on cost?
Cost was £1,500 fitted. If you google the tyre size and winter tyres you will get a selection of suppliers, some a little over £300 each, but you will pay to fit. My issue was storage (and confidence in that storage) and in the end I was happy to pay a bit more for what seemed a better solution overall.

rsport_paul

Post by rsport_paul » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:15 pm

I once went to Runcorn Dry Ski slope, does that count?
R-Sport 2.0 Auto - UB - Jet/Taurus - Reversing Camera - Tinted Windows - 6 foot iphone cable to reach my cradle mount on the dash! :lol:

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”