snow socks or snow chains

All Jaguar F-Pace related discussions
blackjagmike

Re: snow socks or snow chains

Post by blackjagmike » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi Steve

Obviously if you have bought your tyres and there is a 3PMSF symbol on it then they are full winter spec tyres. As I only have 20 inch rims Ive not researched the 22 inch options just listened to others that say options are thin on the ground to non existent.

Also the tyre leader link I posted only supports tyres upto 21 inches.

I guess my point to the OP and any one else driving to the mountains to ski for the first time is that its easy to get bamboozled into what to do or not and that can have serious cost implications.

If there was one thing I would do is put on winter tyres with the 3PMSF symbol after that to me socks/ chains are secondary I have never had to use them. I have never ever been stopped or seen anyone else ever been stopped in 15 years but I may have just been lucky. The very first year I think I rented snow chains as well but after that just didn't bother. Clearly you have been stopped and thats a new data point for me.
But ultimately I am confident that any 4x4 on full spec winter tyres will get to any ski resort that a tourist bus is going to get to so after that the only reason to have socks/chains over and above winter tyres is for insurance in case you get stopped.

For clarity here is a link explaining the details between the different winter tyre designations which I hope is useful

http://www.goodyear.eu/corporate_emea/o ... nition.jsp

Ultimately I just hope everyone who goes to the mountains has a happy and healthy time skiing or boarding and gets there and back safely.

As always take all comments ( especially mine ) with a pinch of salt and build an amalgam that suits your needs / risk profile.

All the best

Mike
3.0D Ultimate black w/black pack, black 20" Blades 14w Jet Memory Seats, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, ITCP, AdSR etc basically lots of black stuff and toys!!

redonebe

Post by redonebe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:36 pm

blackjagmike wrote:
I have never ever been stopped or seen anyone else ever been stopped in 15 years but I may have just been lucky. The very first year I think I rented snow chains as well but after that just didn't bother. Clearly you have been stopped and thats a new data point for me.
But ultimately I am confident that any 4x4 on full spec winter tyres will get to any ski resort that a tourist bus is going to get to so after that the only reason to have socks/chains over and above winter tyres is for insurance in case you get stopped.
Mike, last season in januari they stopped everyone just before the centre of La Plagne. Nobody was allowed to go further without chains. I had a 4X4 with winter tyres and was not allowed. Even the local shuttle busses had chains. In 2003 i drove more then 40 kms from La Plagne to Moutiers with chains. The cars that went off the road were 4x4 without chains, didn't stop to check if they had winter tyres.

But i agree, you don't need chains often. I however don't take the risk to arrive, after driving 1.000 km. and get immobilized 5 kms from my hotel room in a snow blizzard.
2.0D Prestige, Ultimate Black, Jet, Intouch Pro , privacy, 18" Lightweight 15, cup holder cover....,

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:51 am

redonebe wrote:
blackjagmike wrote:
I have never ever been stopped or seen anyone else ever been stopped in 15 years but I may have just been lucky. The very first year I think I rented snow chains as well but after that just didn't bother. Clearly you have been stopped and thats a new data point for me.
Mike, last season in januari they stopped everyone just before the centre of La Plagne. Nobody was allowed to go further without chains. I had a 4X4 with winter tyres and was not allowed. Even the local shuttle busses had chains. In 2003 i drove more then 40 kms from La Plagne to Moutiers with chains. The cars that went off the road were 4x4 without chains, didn't stop to check if they had winter tyres.

But i agree, you don't need chains often. I however don't take the risk to arrive, after driving 1.000 km. and get immobilized 5 kms from my hotel room in a snow blizzard.
Agree chains not often needed but for completeness, the first time (about 15 years ago) was just after leaving motorway at Moutiers but before driving up to Meribel. Heavy snow and it had taken over 3 hours to get from Albertville to Moutiers because in anticipation all the French drivers were stopping on the last stretch of Motorway to put their chains on in whatever lane they were in (!) as the flashing signs were saying chains were compulsory. As a carload of Brits we of course ignored the flashing signs, slalomed through the parked cars and tried to push on but sure enough they wouldn't let us go up until we put the chains on. Second time was a similar weather situation, just after the last roundabout in Bourg St Maurice before driving up to Val d'Isere. This time they didn't make us put them on (as the road here was quite slushy) but they did want to see them. I think the most likely time to be stopped is when it is actually snowing hard and they want to manage/limit the chaos further up the roads to the resorts. Once it stops they can clear the roads quite quickly.

Steven

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:55 am

^^ agreed, despite having owned my current set of chains for almost eleven years and never having used them (they fit our current car and the previous one which was handy), I can't be bothered with the stress or hassle of taking a chance of a run-in with the local Police or getting stranded. From memory, I don't think Austrian police insist on chains (socks) like the French.

I remember the days, not fondly, when we were running the family budget a bit close to the wire. You know: mortgage, kids, car finance etc. etc. In those days I made choices about whether I could take a chance and get away with saving a few pennies here and there. I wanted a ski holiday in Neustift, Stubai Glacier but decided that I wouldn't buy winter tyres and just rely on my Halfords chains. Alfa wouldn't make it up the hill to the resort apartment at the end of an overnight journey from Dover - slid back down the hill and scraped the o/s rear quarter on a wall because I was too tired to get out and mount the chains.

Those days are gone, thank goodness. By spending a few more pennies life is less stressful. "We all drive Jaguars", as the Villains advert says, so by definition we all have the budget for the proper equipment to meet the minimum standard set out by local laws. For the sake of a nail.......horse, a kingdom was lost.

Best wishes to all, Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks guys for the response.
I think i will run with the pirelli`s as i have ordered them and see how they pan out over the next few weeks and update the forum.

Regards,
2.0d R-Sport, AWD, Italian Racing Red /Black seats, Black Pack, 19" Blade, in Control Touch Pro, Oyster Headlining, Privacy Glass, Pano, with sun roof, Config Dynamics, Heated Windscreen, Folding Mirrors, Space Svr Wheel, CUP HOLDER COVER!

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:43 pm

Johnnyboy wrote:Thanks guys for the response.
I think i will run with the pirelli`s as i have ordered them and see how they pan out over the next few weeks and update the forum.

Regards,
Believe me, those Pirelli tyres you've ordered will do the job. I checked out your hyperlink and the tread pattern / sipes tells me that you have a good winter tyre that'll do the business in the snow. I hope you get some snow as you'll have so much fun with your AWD and Pirelli tyres. Good call...

Now, go forth and enjoy.

Best wishes.

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

urbanfoxkensington

Post by urbanfoxkensington » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks for putting me on to the fact that the Jaguar snowchains are actually from Konig. Means a saving of about £100 by buying off the internet. But I am told that the Konig will only work if your wheelnut is not 20mm (and apparently some Jaguar wheels do have 20mm nuts). The Konig works for 19mm or 21.22mm nuts. Wondering if anyone has come across this?
Summer 2018. New F-Pace S.

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”