Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Gap between rear seats & parcel shelf

34K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  Yonykimsmith 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

Can anyone take a quick photo of the point where the rear seats and parcel shelf meet and upload it onto this thread?

I read from the LED/Xenon headlamp thread that some of you wish you had opted for the reclining rear seats because you believe this would negate a gap that otherwise exists. Didn't want to hijack that thread so if anyone can help here that would e fab!

Thanks

Arianne

#2 ·
Yup, the gap is certainly for that. Would have picked it if it wasn't for the 1998 ford buttons out of the parts bin.

#5 ·
Just looked at mine that has the recline seats fitted, when the seats are fully upright there is a reasonable size gap but when the seats are relined the gap is next to nothing.

That said my two older teenage sons say they do not like the reclined position as it makes them feel car sick so its never reclined, I guess everyone will be different I guess.

#7 ·
Hi I have raised this issue with my dealer as a security problem, because people can see what you have in your boot, unless the seats are in recline which is not an option with child seats. My dealer has raised this with jag and agrees with me that there should be a parcel shelf extension.

#8 ·
J48 said:
Hi I have raised this issue with my dealer as a security problem, because people can see what you have in your boot, unless the seats are in recline which is not an option with child seats. My dealer has raised this with jag and agrees with me that there should be a parcel shelf extension.
It would have to be some sort of flap that folds up and down as you recline the seats.

#9 ·
JLR5, thank you again!

Okay, the gap won't be noticeable because of my privacy glass. But I had hoped that noise from stuff in the boot might have been reduced because of a good seal between the parcel shelf and the rear seats. Doesn't look like it.

The feedback on the reclining seats is informative too. Thank you people. The dealer had one with reclining seats and I thought that the amount of adjustment felt too small to make it worth taking the option. The buttons are from a Ford Mondeo too! 1990 model! But I never thought to check for gaps between the seats and parcel shelf as I believed that cars without this option would simply have a flush, close fitting. Clearly not from JKRs photos.

I think I will keep the specification unchanged. You have helped me today folks.

Arianne

#10 ·
Personally I'm glad I asked the question on the other thread now. Because I hadn't seen the reclining seats in any demo I was unsure how it all fell into place so to speak. I assumed the parcel shelf would be slightly different to normal to accomodate if the seats were in recline or not. Never would have guessed there would be a gap. For £155 I'm going to add it to my order I think & leave the rear seats in permanent recline when car not in use just to hide the gap. Rear seat passengers can then put them back to normal position as & when. Does seem a crap design. Explains why it's just £155 Not much thought gone into it!

#11 ·
^ I know and I really swithered with this choice. I would like to know what others think as £155 isn't much if folk think it's worth it. And if they do, why?

Sorry to push it people, but if you're up for a second round of comments and posts then that would be great.

Thank you.

Arianne

#12 ·
Another problem with the gap is if you put anything on the parcel shelf it tends to end up in the boot ie jacket etc :x :x

#13 ·
If I had noticed this pathetic design cop-out on the demonstrators I would've gone for it just to leave the seats reclined to remove the sodin gap. :twisted:

Even a different shaped parcel shelf won't solve the problem as the gap extends wider...

As mine is being built this week, too late for me, but I would change if I could....

#14 ·
Arianne said:
^ I know and I really swithered with this choice. I would like to know what others think as £155 isn't much if folk think it's worth it. And if they do, why?

Sorry to push it people, but if you're up for a second round of comments and posts then that would be great.

Thank you.

Arianne
I would say it really depends on your usage, if you a person who leave valuable items in there boot on a regular occasion then the answer would be yes get the reclining seats, as images show you can see into the back of the boot.

If you do not keep anything valuable in the boot then is it a problem, this is only something you could decide.

As for the recline seats, we only ever put them in this position if we leave something in the boot otherwise my too older teenage lads feel car sick laying back while driving along so its normally upright.

Came with the 1st Edition as a standard option but I think for 155 pounds it not only makes the rear look better but acts as a option to leave things in the boot.

#16 ·
So I just put a few things in the boot (bright colours) and tried to see them with the seats in upright position (my only option as mine don't recline). Completely impossible. There isn't an angle that allows you to see into the boot. I do have the privacy glass so perhaps those who have security issues don't have this but I even tried lifting the rear tailgate and it's still impossible to see anything. In fact even if you climb into the rear seat you have to be a contortionist to see anything.

So my honest opinion is you are all talking rubbish! ;-)

#17 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
So I just put a few things in the boot (bright colours) and tried to see them with the seats in upright position (my only option as mine don't recline). Completely impossible. There isn't an angle that allows you to see into the boot. I do have the privacy glass so perhaps those who have security issues don't have this but I even tried lifting the rear tailgate and it's still impossible to see anything. In fact even if you climb into the rear seat you have to be a contortionist to see anything.

Try looking in with your window down, this would be the same in some way that people without tinted windows would have.

#18 ·
So like young people, Jaguar seem to be getting quite a lot of bad press these days :) Well, they actually are getting fab reviews from the media generally but not on here. So let's redress the balance a bit...

Went out this morning to my Volvo XC60 and noticed that, despite there being absolutely no reclining rear seat option on any model in the range anywhere in the world (believe me, if there was, I would know about it from the crazy gang on the Volvo Owners Forum), there is a gap between the rear of the seats and the tonneau cover holder.

There you go, never noticed that before!

As for reclining rear seats in my upcoming Jaguar F-Pace, this man is certainly one for U-turns. £155! Would spend that across a weekend and not even think about it. First class ticket on East Coast to KingsX will set you back that amount. So I will actually specify it, if only because it's a cheap option and I collect them - it's my religion! Whereas Carl is more devout than me - he collects all options, even the most expensive ones!

Security risk? You must be joking. Comfort? Doubt it. Talking point? Yep. "What does this button do down here that looks like it was salvaged from my 1996 Ford Mondeo?" That's worth £155 as is the kudos come resale time.

Have a nice Sunday folks. Just off to switch out the new for old tumble dryer in the garage which will instantly renew my hero status with Mrs A.

Arianne

#21 ·
Gap on mine doesn't bother me at all really no would be happy to put stuff in boot.
There is privacy glass as well so it's not easy to see and what can you see in the gap? - the IPad Pro Boxes and diamond encrusted bands :)

#22 ·
Arianne said:
As for reclining rear seats in my upcoming Jaguar F-Pace, this man is certainly one for U-turns. £155! Would spend that across a weekend and not even think about it. First class ticket on East Coast to KingsX will set you back that amount. So I will actually specify it, if only because it's a cheap option and I collect them.

Security risk? You must be joking. Comfort? Doubt it. Talking point? Yep. "What does this button do down here that looks like it was salvaged from my 1996 Ford Mondeo?" That's worth £155 as is the kudos come resale time.
Now let me see if I just look back a few topics ago ...

"Okay, that's another option ticked on the configurator! 14 way memory pack sports seats to be absolutely sure that we are getting the best seat comfort available. I am now at a fraction over £57k and that really must be that! JLR5, it better be worth the extra cash otherwise I will track you down and find you. Regards. Arianne."

... and I bet he ain't done yet :)

#25 ·
JLRnumber5 said:

Hear hear! I've never read such rubbish about something so unimportant. The reclining rear seats is just a gimmick which might, if you're that way inclined, impress friends - otherwise a complete waste of money. Spend this option on a really decent meal out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.