Post by JAGFlubster » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 am

corriescar66 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:42 am
JAGFlubster wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 am
confusing road signs for foreign types number 1

Flub!

694.jpg
In the rural areas a lot of Farmer Pierres still want to use the old, unique French way of 'priority to those entering' & not those already on the roundabout..

Something to do with their inbred dislike of anything English, or their inventions...
Sacre Bleu!

Driving in rural France is one of lifes unique pleasures. Certainly requires concentration and isn't the time to be fiddling on the ICTP screen trying to find your favourite song!

Flub!
3.0D 2018 S. Loire Blue, opening Pano roof, ictp, Adsr, space saver wheel, practicality pack, cold climate pack, HUD

JLRnumber5

Re: Mindless vandalism

Post by JLRnumber5 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am

corriescar66 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 am
JLRnumber5 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 am
Did you find any sardines?

So I picked a friend up from the station the other day. He's a kiwi but been driving in the UK for 30 years. When we got to a roundabout he asked "why did you stop" to which I relied "giving way to the left". His reply "oh I had no idea I thought the first to the roundabout just went for it. No wonder I get honked so often!"
I take it the station was in France then?!

Unless people in Wimbledon are indeed from another planet.. Presumably you get honked waiting for it to clear from the left when most pesky motorists seem to be coming from the right, so you're there all day?

Make sure you take a flask, sandwiches and a warm blanket..... :-)
Hahahaha ... sorry yes I was in French mode then .. of course I meant the other left .. LOL ... :oops: :oops:
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

JAGFlubster

Post by JAGFlubster » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:10 am

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am
corriescar66 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 am
JLRnumber5 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 am
Did you find any sardines?

So I picked a friend up from the station the other day. He's a kiwi but been driving in the UK for 30 years. When we got to a roundabout he asked "why did you stop" to which I relied "giving way to the left". His reply "oh I had no idea I thought the first to the roundabout just went for it. No wonder I get honked so often!"
I take it the station was in France then?!

Unless people in Wimbledon are indeed from another planet.. Presumably you get honked waiting for it to clear from the left when most pesky motorists seem to be coming from the right, so you're there all day?

Make sure you take a flask, sandwiches and a warm blanket..... :-)
Hahahaha ... sorry yes I was in French mode then .. of course I meant the other left .. LOL ... :oops: :oops:
surely that should be ooh la la

Flub!
3.0D 2018 S. Loire Blue, opening Pano roof, ictp, Adsr, space saver wheel, practicality pack, cold climate pack, HUD

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:26 pm

corriescar66 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:42 am
JAGFlubster wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 am
confusing road signs for foreign types number 1

Flub!

694.jpg
In the rural areas a lot of Farmer Pierres still want to use the old, unique French way of 'priority to those entering' & not those already on the roundabout..

Something to do with their inbred dislike of anything English, or their inventions...
This was the same in Germany and Holland when I lived over there in the early 70's, though roundabouts were few and far between there then. I think at that time it was only us that was doing it all wrong and giving right of way to those on the roundabout. It felt very awkward having to remember not to just go swanning around the roundabouts but having to give way at each entrance. The other outcome of giving way to vehicles entering the roundabout was it increased congestion and hold ups immeasurably when they got busy as the traffic just doesn't flow.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm

France used to have a single road rule, give way to the right, so if you are travelling down a main road, traffic from a side road on the right will pull out on you as they are from the right! This is why they put the signs on roundabouts because that contradicts the rule of the right. I think they have signs diamond shapes and yellow that tell you if you are on the main road or not (black stripe through it) in rural areas where it is not obvious.

The best bit in France is that they follow their rules, unlike this country where most drivers forget what they learnt at about 10 minutes after passing their driving test!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:06 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm
France used to have a single road rule, give way to the right, so if you are travelling down a main road, traffic from a side road on the right will pull out on you as they are from the right! This is why they put the signs on roundabouts because that contradicts the rule of the right. I think they have signs diamond shapes and yellow that tell you if you are on the main road or not (black stripe through it) in rural areas where it is not obvious.

The best bit in France is that they follow their rules, unlike this country where most drivers forget what they learnt at about 10 minutes after passing their driving test!

These are the equivalent ones from Germany, where they also have the priority from the right in the absence of other markings. This was very useful in small towns and villages where they turn off the traffic lights overnight to save holding up traffic on the main roads and allow traffic from minor roads to filter in under normal main road/give way junctions, how many times have you been sat stationary in the UK, late at night facing a red light and no other cars from horizon to horizon :)

Road signs.JPG

Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Yes I love that they turn the traffic lights to flashing amber or off late at night, saves fuel and time, wont work here though for reasons already stated!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 pm

I remember hiring a car in Johannesburg about 10 years ago and being told at the car rental place not to stop at red lights in the city at night!
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:50 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm not sure about them following their rules any better than we do - certainly not recent years

However, they do like suddenly following speed limits if you bear down on them..... Suddenly they drive 90, then 50 and 30 religiously, just to prove a point..... Pass them and for some unknown reason Farmer Pierre finds a new burst of illegal speed to hang on your tail.... Comical when Mdme Pierre is clearly clutching a hen and a basket of eggs in the passenger seat and they both look so wooden they are probably dead...

If I had a euro for every time this has happened over the years I'd be able to afford an entry level Velar....
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

Hydrajaws

Post by Hydrajaws » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Am I missing something here as I cannot see what the last few posts relate in any way to mindless vandalism. I know that the French hate us but they haven't resorted to scratching our cars yet!! LOL
2017 F Pace 2.0 AWD Portfolio(rejection replacement). Odyssey Red. Latte .Blind Spot Monitor .20"Templars .Red brake calipers. All privacy glass. Side Steps. Space saver. USA plates.
2006 XK 4.2 Convertible. 1965 Daimler 2.5 V8 .

Return to “Main Jaguar FPace chat”