Hello and Gear selection issue

New to the Jaguar F-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
Bobbyjay

Hello and Gear selection issue

Post by Bobbyjay » Tue May 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Good afternoon all - having had someone run in the back of the XF and written it off I have changed car and changed forums. I was given a cheque for £13000 and one week to buy a car - I had decided to change to an F Pace when the time came but it was forced upon me and given the one week timespan I now have a 12 month old R Sport 180ps with a few extras.
I have one intermittent problem - the following happens sometimes (not always but on most journeys) - pull up at the lights, electric park brake on, place car in neutral - lights change to green, foot on brake but gear selector won’t go into drive - put into reverse then back through neutral into drive and away - it has happened twice that the selector is temporarily locked in neutral as in it won’t go into reverse - then after a few seconds it seems to clear .... any ideas - is it me? - never had this problem with the XF - still got 22 months warranty - Regards
Bob

June16

Re: Hello and Gear selection issue

Post by June16 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Next time try ( when in neutral) lift your foot off brake pedal and put back on brake pedal and try to change to Drive, might just be a faulty sensor for foot brake not allowing the shift?

I’d see the dealer anyway so they have the fault looked into and logged , you don’t want to get stuck whereby it doesn’t shift at all.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Tue May 08, 2018 8:01 pm

I've never done that in an automatic, it's always pull up at lights, hold on the footbrake, footbrake off and acellerate away. With the Fpace its pull up at the lights, engine stops then starts when you release the footbrake.
What do others do?.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

June16

Post by June16 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Get in car

Switch stop/ start off .....I hate it with a vengeance ,saves no fuel designed for emmisions testing.

Stop at traffic lights ,foot on brake:
if long stop pop it in neutral, put handbrake on , take foot off brake , don’t blind the folks behind, don’t warp the discs either.
if short stop just foot on brake , then drive off.

Just before light goes green foot on brake , turn to drive and drive off.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

DPE

Post by DPE » Tue May 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Stop, foot on brake, engine stop, move foot off break engine starts, put foot on accelerator and drive off.
F Pace 3.0d S AWD, Corris Grey, Heated Seats front/Rear, Heated Steering Wheel, Panoramic roof, Space Saver wheel and Nice wheels, lots of Stuff.. and cup covers 8-)

chris

Post by chris » Tue May 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Like others first on starting car turn auto stop/start off.
At traffic lights , stop by using brake pedal, if longer stop anticipated use electronic hand brake. Keep in Drive mode all the while ( personally never use neutral just drive, reverse or park) and when lights change just accelerate away.
XF Portfolio 2.0d AWD ,Polaris White, Oyster Windsor leather, LEDs, 360 degree cameras Parking Pack, Infotainment Pro, 380w Meridian, cool box, spare wheel, splash guards service pack, Lifetime shine

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 am

June16 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 pm
Get in car

Switch stop/ start off .....I hate it with a vengeance ,saves no fuel designed for emmisions testing.

Stop at traffic lights ,foot on brake:
if long stop pop it in neutral, put handbrake on , take foot off brake , don’t blind the folks behind, don’t warp the discs either.
if short stop just foot on brake , then drive off.

Just before light goes green foot on brake , turn to drive and drive off.
100% agree & this is how I've driven all automatics (including the clutchless manual Smart) since I first got one 16 years ago. If I'm caught by a level crossing I sometimes turn on the auto stop/start, but otherwise I'd like to rip it's little, digital heart out....

Most of the time sitting in Drive with foot on the brake more fuel is being used to keep it there.

Technically it is illegal to sit at lights with your foot on the brake, but then so is driving with your fog lights on.....

One golden rule is to always manually disengage the park brake before moving off.

Unless you want to fork out £400 quid to replace the little pads every 3 years.....
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

BEPace

Post by BEPace » Wed May 09, 2018 9:11 am

Hi
Had the same problem, sometimes when in the carwash, car in neutral at the end of the line I tryed to put it in drive. That was impossible, gear lever blocked.

At first I was told that I didn't push hard enough on the brake, pretty unpleasant experience buildig cue in the wash.
This happened more times but not always, I was then sure that brake was pushed to the maximum.

They changed moment transfer in the gearbox (don't know the englisch correct word for it)

After that I have had no problems.

Bobbyjay

Post by Bobbyjay » Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks everybody - I live in Chester but bought the car from Rybrook in Warrington as I know the salesman - it performed faultlessly yesterday - I’ll take it back to Warrington and get it looked at and report back in due course ..
Regarding the legality of sitting with your foot on the foot brake I didn’t know that is is technically illegal - it appears that http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 ... on/27/made covers lights causing discomfort to other road users - brake lights are not specifically mentioned so I assume it is caught by Regulation 27 (11) - any other lamp ...
I always manually disengage the park brake - don’t like the idea of the car moving whilst the brake is engaged every time.
Regards
Bob

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Bobbyjay wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 pm
Thanks everybody - I live in Chester but bought the car from Rybrook in Warrington as I know the salesman - it performed faultlessly yesterday - I’ll take it back to Warrington and get it looked at and report back in due course ..
Regarding the legality of sitting with your foot on the foot brake I didn’t know that is is technically illegal - it appears that http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 ... on/27/made covers lights causing discomfort to other road users - brake lights are not specifically mentioned so I assume it is caught by Regulation 27 (11) - any other lamp ...
I always manually disengage the park brake - don’t like the idea of the car moving whilst the brake is engaged every time.
Regards
Bob
Yup - 'Any Other Lamp'

It's a fascinating one as all with automatics, who sit at lights with their foot on the brake pedal dazzling the car behind are in theory commiting an offence. Me included.

About 5 years ago there was a lot of discussion if these stop/start systems were actually legal as they encouraged you to do just that. A friend of mine who was traffic officer at the time said he wasn't aware of anyone being charged, but it was technically possible..

The park/hand brake will automatically disengage when you move forward at a set torque, and most probably do this (a RR salesman was surprised at me manually turning it off during a test drive, saying 'you don't need to do that you know?' - oh yes you do!)

It won't do any harm other than wearing away the pads prematurely. If they are like the Range Rover ones, they are small, difficult to get to and disproportionately expensive....
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

Return to “Introductions”