Hello and Gear selection issue

New to the Jaguar F-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
MrPix

Re: Hello and Gear selection issue

Post by MrPix » Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 pm

I too had heard that it is an offence to cause undue dazzle by having your foot on the brake, but only if there is somebody directly pulled up behind you and also stopped and it is between sunset and sunrise. I would argue that until that series of events meets a true condition, it is not safe to sit in a stationary vehicle without showing to the people that may be approaching from behind that you are stationary. Save from having Jeeves get out and wave a red flag at traffic lights, I find applying my foot downwards on the footbrake a much more convenient way of achieving this, notwithstanding the ease of then making haste once more after the road ahead is clear and I am able to carry onwards by a simply lift of my foot and transfer of it's weight to the right, proportionate to the environment ahead.

This is my 4th Jag and the rear pads seem to be worn quicker by the ASL than any separate EPB pad that may be present and I rarely manually release the damn thing, although I do tend to lift it up at traffic lights once the car behind is stopped.

Agree on the start/stop... I find it frustrating in slow moving traffic (all the other cars except F-Paces of course slowing down to look at my lovely car)
Jan '18 F-Pace S Supercharged V6, Santorini Black, Pimento/Ebony/Jet, Black Pack, 20" Black Venom/ 18" 15 spoke, Privacy Glass, ICTP, LED headlights, configurable moods, cooled gloves, heated wheel & supported lumbar.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 pm

MrPix wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 pm
I too had heard that it is an offence to cause undue dazzle by having your foot on the brake, but only if there is somebody directly pulled up behind you and also stopped and it is between sunset and sunrise.

Not True. The offence can occur at any time day or night. It's the UK. Rain often fall during daylight hours. Annoyingly.

Highway Code Rule 114

You MUST NOT:

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

I would argue that until that series of events meets a true condition, it is not safe to sit in a stationary vehicle without showing to the people that may be approaching from behind that you are stationary. Save from having Jeeves get out and wave a red flag at traffic lights, I find applying my foot downwards on the footbrake a much more convenient way of achieving this, notwithstanding the ease of then making haste once more after the road ahead is clear and I am able to carry onwards by a simply lift of my foot and transfer of it's weight to the right, proportionate to the environment ahead.

Again, your interpretation/argument has no foundation in law. To sit at a junction with your foot on brake pedal and handbrake not activated can, and has been, interpreted as not being in full control of your vehicle. As explained to me, if you are rear- the impact can, and does knock the foot off the pedal.

This is my 4th Jag and the rear pads seem to be worn quicker by the ASL than any separate EPB pad that may be present and I rarely manually release the damn thing, although I do tend to lift it up at traffic lights once the car behind is stopped.

I'm offering advice to others based on my personal experience, I'm not really bothered if anyone takes note of it. I've owned 6 Jags & still own 3, but none of them are similar in anyway to the F Pace. Being Jaguar's first SUV and all that..... If the F Pace's brakes work in the same way as the Range Rover Sport set-up, then good luck....

Agree on the start/stop... I find it frustrating in slow moving traffic (all the other cars except F-Paces of course slowing down to look at my lovely car)
The legality of it all is pretty irrelevant anyway. If they can't catch you with an ANPR or a speed camera/gun they ain't bothered anyway.
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

MrPix

Post by MrPix » Wed May 09, 2018 11:04 pm

so sue me :) I've never been stopped and charged yet... as you allude to, it's a moot point really and I do apply the handbrake once the following traffic has stopped but rarely take my foot off the footbrake as having being rammed at 75mph whilst stationary at a set of red traffic lights years ago and being cut out of the car, I decided that would be my interpretation going forwards. The car at the time had the handbrake only applied and yet was catapulted to the other side of the crossroads and into some railings where I was spun around whilst unconscious in to the flow of traffic from two sides. needless to say, I am more cautious nowadays and interpret the law almost to the letter, I just may not apply every word of it, 22 years on.

Rarely do I sit at a traffic light for more than a minute in my neck of the woods, so that's probably the most common context for me.

Not really bothered about if I have to replace the pads or not, it's a small price to pay in the scheme of things, but appreciate your advice.

Please note at no point have I said in this or the previous post that you are wrong in any way, so no need to be so defensive.
Jan '18 F-Pace S Supercharged V6, Santorini Black, Pimento/Ebony/Jet, Black Pack, 20" Black Venom/ 18" 15 spoke, Privacy Glass, ICTP, LED headlights, configurable moods, cooled gloves, heated wheel & supported lumbar.

Return to “Introductions”