F-Pace 25T ordered - changing from BMW 428i + Paint Protection Question

New to the Jaguar F-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
Cabbageman

F-Pace 25T ordered - changing from BMW 428i + Paint Protection Question

Post by Cabbageman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and only discovering that such a network exists, which is excellent! Already it has proven to be a wealth of information, so thank you all.

I've gone for the 25T R-Sport (as I'm London based and concerned about potential implications/restrictions of diesel engines over the horizon) and I do not do a lot of motorway driving.

Gone for Corris Grey, 20" 5 split-spoke alloy (Style 5031); privacy windows; panoramic roof, Navigation Pro with Meridian (380W); adjustable rear seats; mood lighting.

Delivery is due end of Oct, end of Nov. Can't wait!

One issue I'm finding it difficult to make a decision on is the paint protection. The dealer was looking for £399 for A-Glaze protection. Anyone hear of it, or have experience of it? I've negotiated them down to £199... but I'm not sure if this is something to be happy about... or worried about.

Grateful to learn about any views/opinions or experiences you may have on A-Glaze, or any other systems.

Best,

Cabbageman
Ordered: Due Oct/Nov - 25T R-Sport; Corris Grey; Privicy Glass; 20" Venom Grey; Pano Roof; ITC Pro Infotainment (380W); Reversing Camera; Lumber Support; Reclining Rear Seats; Mood Lighting.

Foxylady

Re: F-Pace 25T ordered - changing from BMW 428i + Paint Protection Question

Post by Foxylady » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Hello!

I can't help with your question.... but just wanted to say congrats on your order and welcome to the forum!

Foxy
2.0 Diesel RWD Automatic Prestige in BRITISH RACING GREEN with Latte/Espresso, Rear Camera and Space Saver

Cabbageman

Post by Cabbageman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Foxy,

Very kind.

Thank you for the wellcome.

Cabbageman
Ordered: Due Oct/Nov - 25T R-Sport; Corris Grey; Privicy Glass; 20" Venom Grey; Pano Roof; ITC Pro Infotainment (380W); Reversing Camera; Lumber Support; Reclining Rear Seats; Mood Lighting.

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Very nice. A great choice. I'm still yet to hear a 25T so be interesting to know what exhaust note it gives.
Now paint protection I can help you with and it all depends on what your after and how much you want to spend or obsess over it.
No product gives anti chip or scratch protection to any big level but can certainly protect and give a much better shine and long term finish.
They provide great water repellent properties with super beading even after some time.

With this being my first real new car I've seen how easy and prevalent swirling in paint is even if the dealer has washed it the once - I had some on the plastic near upper door straight from the showroom. The grey will hide it better - black is awful :)

Now onto protections. You can have a proper wax or dealer finish and it will be ok but won't be a fully prepared car and the long term product won't be as good as going to a detailler. The price however will be much lower. They just wash it then apply the product and let dry a few hours and your done

Ceramic coatings such a Gtechniq give a very long lasting protection. I was a cynic but got it done and couldn't believe how great it was. Makes cleaning easy but be careful using proper mitts etc and not a sponge which just scratches the surface. Don't go to public car washes etc if you want to keep it swirl free.
They detail it first which can take a day or three depending on the car and work to be done then apply the coating. Expect about £400 -£500 for the coating and maybe more for preparation but this varies greatly. £400 -£1200 is typical.
Washing the car is much easier, wash, dry and maybe bit of buff and it's like you spent 3 hrs on the polish.

I had mine done and they stripped the wheels which still are holding off dirt extremely well and a clean exhaust tips still.
At a garage they were going over it to look for scratches etc and he said "I clearly don't need to check this car over it's gleaming". How long have you had it ? A year I said. Impressed he was. :)

If it all sounds a bit of a pain and expensive then go with the £200 option for a nice quick finish or get it Waxed properly.
If you have a local place that can do a ceramic coating for reasonable amount I'd go for it if your happy looking after your car wash yourself
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Coopsterdude

Post by Coopsterdude » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:27 pm

^^ What he said - another vote here for Gtechniq!

And welcome to the club!
No longer an active member.

Cabbageman

Post by Cabbageman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Mbadager77,

Thank you for that. Really useful.

I got a good deal from a dealer in Cornwall, which will require a long drive back to London. If I'm going for Grechniq or something similar, i presume you would be recommending me to tell the dealership to leave the car un-touched and get it done professionally on arrival in London?

Re the sound... no idea! Did not test drive the 25T. But happy to update you when it arrives, if you've not heard it before then. I doubt it's as pleasant on the ear as the 3L!

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Yes near where you live and tell them not even to wash it .
Sure it sounds ok, maybe not quite the 3L.
Place I used was fantastic but expensive - GVE Detailling think it's around £750 for a new car.
Mine wasn't new and I'd swirled it a lot myself using a sponge so paid a heftier price but it looked like this at the end.

IMG_0848.JPG

Doesn't quite last like his as you can't take lighting around with you everywhere :)
It still has a good gloss and repels water just the same 6 months on.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Jags cat

Post by Jags cat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:18 pm

Maybe because I have just watched Rouge One :? ,..... but that image and the grills with the side blades just makes me think of Darth Vaders helmet... don't you think?

IMG_1740.JPG

Last edited by Jags cat on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrived,JA65 CAT plate, 2 ltr R-sport,ammonite grey, black pack, pano roof, 22" silver helix alloys, meridian upgrade, black/red interior, mood lighting, full size spare,rear camera, serv pack,H/screen, and anything else I can get pass the wife!

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 pm

Rouge One? Is that the life story of Max Factor?
2018 Portfolio 25T; Firenze Red; ICTP 380; sliding pano roof; cold-climate pack; configurable dynamics; BSM; 20-way seats; privacy glass; adaptive dynamics; configurable mood lighting; spacesaver; cooled glovebox; reclining rear seats

Cabbageman

Post by Cabbageman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:27 pm

Mbadger77 - it looks stunning! 👍🏻

Return to “Introductions”