Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

22inch black double helix wheels

9K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  pmheathcote 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a stunning Eiger Grey 3.0d V6 S model (69 plate) with 22 inch black double helix wheels with black inserts.

Does anyone know how to keep them clean. I have used Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner but they dry a bit chalky/dull instead of a nice matt black.

I tried a bit of Autoglym Fast Glass on the inserts and that worked well but not sure how to finish the black wheel parts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

#2 ·
Hi Paul, your best bet is to apply a ceramic coating to the rims, that will make them so much easer to clean. When I had mine done I found the dust just hosed off. 😃

#3 ·
For mine (grey 22 helix wheels) I generally do the relatively standard of using a good quality ph neutral wheel cleaner (megs hot rims, AF imperial, etc), followed by washing them with a microfibre wash mitt and usual body work soap, then pressure wash off. Once I've washed the rest of the car, I dry them with a microfibre towel and it seems to work a treat for both the glossy black inserts and the satin style grey.

When I got mine (also a 69 plate) I also put a coating of poor boys wheel sealant which helps with subsequent cleaning.

#4 ·
I have Gtechiq C5 wheel armour on mine topped with two coats of super slippery C2. I put it on in Feb this year and washed car yesterday with pressure washer and 95% of dirt just disappears. Quick wipe over with microfibre mitten and good as new. I coated whole car with C2 in March and it is still repelling water after 7 months. I wash with Gtechniq detergent which has no gloss enhancers then once in a while top up coating 50/50 diluted with distilled water as a drying aid. It is easy to treat wheels if you take them off but I have a spare set for winter so generally do maintenance of coating at changeover time. FYI the nice shiny inserts are just ordinary light grey plastic which has been painted! It gets easily stone chipped but I took the inserts out and buffed them up individually to get rid of any small marks. Labour of love during lockdown!

Attachments

#5 ·
It has now rained, of course! You can see the effect after 7 months and car appears waxed. Water runs off. I would say ceramic coating would have similar effect just last longer. However be aware that the paintwork will still get marred and pick up marks and scratches....so maybe this is a cheaper option to get a similar result and more flexible if you want polish out marks occassionally to keep paintwork tip top.

Attachments

#7 ·
Doesn't show so well in my image but the plastic inserts are gloss black. The rest of the alloy wheel is a satin black finish so it has a sheen to it but not glossy.

#9 ·
Bilt Hamber stuff is fantastic. BTW what did you replace Mrs Mik's car with?

#10 ·
Ooh it's quiet in here now compared to previously :?

Nothing yet Smitten - temp short term lease whilst she decides what she wants, but in the F-Pace she downsized from a Disco4 as the sprogs are older and rarely need ferried around. I suspect the replacement will be a further downsize - and possibly EV.

I still have the Evora, and the love is still deep :D

#11 ·
Cheers guys.

Any particular Bilt Hamber?

I have a couple of spots of something on one wheel which wont come off, hopefully this would help.

Also need to get to the back of the wheels, looks like they have never been cleaned.

Cheers

#13 ·
Great thanks!

Will try some once my AG custom cleaner runs out.

Want to try and get the two ginger coloured spots of the one wheel.

Love the car though. Can't stop looking at the wheels, 22" was the right choice even though I do go off road for work a bit.

#14 ·
So the Autoglym Custom Wheel cleaner is great on the wheels but the barrels are still a dull dirty colour no matter how much I scrub them.

It is like a brown chalky finish on them, presume that is brake dust.

Is this where I need a red cleaner like the Bilt Hamber to react and remove that residue?

Cheers guys.

Also, how do people keep the wheel arch plastic clean? Spent hours washing and polishing car only to stand back and see dirty plastic wheel arches!

Thanks

#15 ·
I would use the Bilt Hamber. The paint is very thin in the barrel and it has a rough feel to it but sounds like you have brake dust iron particles embedded or adhering. I normally just pressure wash the arches after applying Bilt Hamber Autofoam. It gets a lot of the grime off but not all.

#17 ·
Just a quick update guys.

I used the Bilt Hamber on my wifes car as a test today and it is amazing!

Apart from the smell!

The wheels are the cleanest I have ever seen with little effort. Followed by AG Custom Wheel cleaner and they are sparkling. Cant wait to use on my Black double helix!

Cheers for the recommendation guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.