Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Dual Action Polishers

18K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  Cruise&Shine 
#1 ·
There seem to be a wide variety on sale. Any recommendations based on experience as to what to buy? I have a black car and despite careful washing using two buckets/noodle glove/AG shampoo followed by quick detailer I am starting to pick up some minor swirls. I also have an annoying long minor scratch along the drivers side (handbags in car parks should be banned :lol: ) that I think will polish out. Had some success on a couple of minor scuff marks caused by Mr Dog near the boot with Meguirs 2.0 scratch so I am confident to tackle the door scratch as well but it's over a bigger area. As I have been bitten by the detailing bug a DA polisher an essential piece of kit anyway so any help/guidance/tips appreciated.

#3 ·
Ms Smitten has a mini, not old but not mine either. Perhaps I will offer to detail it :twisted:

Point taken about the need to be extra careful. I can't feel the scratch but it is visible against the light across two doors so hopefully with care I can reduce it.

#4 ·
best advice, get some very very light buffing compound and plenty of practice with very light pressure not staying in one place, there are some good videos on Youtube but nothing replaces practice and the feel.

#5 ·
I use a DAS 6 Pro, Megs Ultimate compound, and the white hexlogic pad from chemical guys. I use it at maximum speed , no problem. That's the Beauty of a DA polisher - it's pretty hard to damage the paintwork unless you're an absolute hoon. Gets 95% of the swirls out - you can't really do all of them without really thinning the lacquer too much. I also use the black pad to apply nice thin layer of wax. I also have a clay pad for it, but there you do have to be very careful that you use plenty of lubrication or you will damage the paintwork.

A DAS is great investment for a keen amateur detailer. Good luck!

#6 ·
Years ago I got a kit that was a 500W Kestrel Das6, with a number of meguiars pads and polish. Its been perfect for my needs and I have never felt i needed more power.

It saved a few quid over the meguiars branded version.

(I did once feel I needed more power after polishing tbe roof and one full side of my wife's aunt's car - prepping it for sale. Things were going real slow, and it was frustrating me. As my wife handed me a cuppa i placed the Das6 down and spotted the speed control. That I had forgot it had. :oops: it was on setting 2. It goes up to 6. Funnily enough the rest of the car was finished much faster.... :geek: )

#7 ·
Great advice. Many thanks all. A DAS 6 seems to be the way to go. I must admit to having almost as much fun detailing my car and admiring it as driving it :D

#8 ·
Surely you can pay someone to do this for you :D

Flub!

#9 ·
I am sure I can but there is considerable enjoyment to be had doing it myself and knowing it has been done well :D

#10 ·
I'm with you on this Smitts. Considerable satisfaction to be had from a bit of detailing. OCD, SchmOCD I say (to my wife) :D

#11 ·
My new DA6 Pro arrived today so there could be some polishing action this weekend. I remember when "Something for the weekend sir?" had a different meaning :lol:

My partner won't drive the car as she says I am too paranoid about "minor marks" she can't even see! They just don't understand ;)

#13 ·
I went for the Chemical Guy's Hex Logic white and black as recommended (many thanks) and I will go very, very easy to begin with. Have Meguiars Scratch 2.0 which I have used manually and it has already removed quite a few minor marks to sill below tailgate. Not sure if that is more or less harsh than Meguiars Ultimate but that is en-route as well. Party time :D

I have also invested in an in-line water filter for final rinse which has made a huge difference and a big micro fibre towel to pat dry as much as possible after cleaning with shampoo/two buckets/noodle mitten.

It was a top tip re Chemical Guy's quick detailer as well. I watched water beading on my car and her mini just now and it brings a nice slippery finish to the paintwork which keeps London dust to a minimum :lol:

#14 ·
I have had a DAS 6 pro for the past 8 years and have used it twice so far in 2 months to remove laquer deep scratches from handbags in carparks. It is so easy to use as long as you keep it in contact and moving in lines under really light pressure between 3" and 6" a second up then down over entire area then left then right... repeat until the paste is worked well then buff off the remaining residue with microfibre cloth. I use 3 different grade pads and 3 different grade pastes to suit, before I polish with a black pad and wax and/or guardX conditioner (probably overkill, but has great results in 30 mins for an entire door area. Swirls are removed very quickly with light compound and a polish after.

Dual Action is hard to get wrong if you watch a couple of instruction vids from experts like Meguiars (other experts are available to watch)

#15 ·
I am sure it is bags or similar that have caused mine too over two doors three scratches equidistant like a buckle mark. Good news is they seem straightforward to remove.

Do you have favourite brands of pads and compounds and why?

#16 ·
Smitten said:
Do you have favourite brands of pads and compounds and why?
Not really, they are all much of a muchness. I use Halfords rubbing compound on the deeper scratches (cheaper than ScratchX), cheap and cheerful and then Meguiars #83 Cleaner/Polish and Meguairs #80 Speed Glaze and then some carnuba based wax... along with sonus SFX 1, 2 3 and 4 pads, but that's just because I bought them years ago and they last for ages and do the job, no other reason

#17 ·
Good stuff Smitten! Tell me how you get on with the water filter - been thinking of investing in one. Did the CG QD recommendation come from me too? If so, another thread I guess? I buy it by the gallon for £35!

#18 ·
Water filter is great. I got the big Aqua Gleam one - its almost a meter long (0PPM). Does a fantastic job and just use it for the final rinse. No water marks. Just made up a break in my hose and click it in and out of the line when needed then keep it inside in the dark during the week. Remains to be seen how long it will last as I am a clean freak :lol:

CG QD recommendation was from indeed you. Where do you source it at that price? I have already got through x1 small bottle. Its great stuff.

Got the scratch out btw and found the DA Polisher simple to use. Top tip. Results in pic. Must say I am very pleased and it gives you confidence for future minor scratches. No need for mirrors in our house anymore...and anyway it seems I have no refection :eek:

Attachments

#19 ·
ooohhh shiny shiny! Nice drive BTW :D I get the QD from cleanyourcar.com, but note that they are currently out of stock. You should be able to find it somewhere else though?

#20 ·
The drive is hard work to keep tidy and clean! Resin impregnated gravel next time.

Re QD think I got mine from Ultimate Finish but I will do an internet search for bigger quantities :D

#21 ·
Looks like they might not do the gallon version in the UK anymore - not even on the CG UK website. I'm minded to try Autofinesse Finale next time around which is also highly rated and can be bought in 5l size.

#22 ·
FYI CG 1 gallon size seems to be back in stock...

#24 ·
Weird. I checked stock then ordered yesterday...let's see if it shows up

#26 ·
As a pro detailer I have used a lot of different DA brands. Personally I think Vertool is the best value for money, the larger machine comes with 5" and 6" backing plates and has a 21mm throw and you won't burn the paint, comes in at only £160 and the smaller machine with 3" inch has a 15mm throw at only £110, the Rupes version of these with small throw are over £400.00.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.