Dual Action Polishers

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Smitten

Dual Action Polishers

Post by Smitten » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:02 pm

There seem to be a wide variety on sale. Any recommendations based on experience as to what to buy? I have a black car and despite careful washing using two buckets/noodle glove/AG shampoo followed by quick detailer I am starting to pick up some minor swirls. I also have an annoying long minor scratch along the drivers side (handbags in car parks should be banned :lol: ) that I think will polish out. Had some success on a couple of minor scuff marks caused by Mr Dog near the boot with Meguirs 2.0 scratch so I am confident to tackle the door scratch as well but it's over a bigger area. As I have been bitten by the detailing bug a DA polisher an essential piece of kit anyway so any help/guidance/tips appreciated.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Jagfpacejk

Re: Dual Action Polishers

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:29 pm

I have the Meguiars version but you do need to be really careful as it is easy to burn through the paint layers and make a real mess.

Best bet if you can is practice on an old car.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/meguiar- ... n-polisher
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Jagfpacejk wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:29 pm
I have the Meguiars version but you do need to be really careful as it is easy to burn through the paint layers and make a real mess.

Ms Smitten has a mini, not old but not mine either. Perhaps I will offer to detail it :twisted:

Point taken about the need to be extra careful. I can't feel the scratch but it is visible against the light across two doors so hopefully with care I can reduce it.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Smitten wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm
Jagfpacejk wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Ms Smitten has a mini, not old but not mine either. Perhaps I will offer to detail it :twisted:

Point taken about the need to be extra careful. I can't feel the scratch but it is visible against the light across two doors so hopefully with care I can reduce it.
best advice, get some very very light buffing compound and plenty of practice with very light pressure not staying in one place, there are some good videos on Youtube but nothing replaces practice and the feel.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:44 pm

I use a DAS 6 Pro, Megs Ultimate compound, and the white hexlogic pad from chemical guys. I use it at maximum speed , no problem. That's the Beauty of a DA polisher - it's pretty hard to damage the paintwork unless you're an absolute hoon. Gets 95% of the swirls out - you can't really do all of them without really thinning the lacquer too much. I also use the black pad to apply nice thin layer of wax. I also have a clay pad for it, but there you do have to be very careful that you use plenty of lubrication or you will damage the paintwork.

A DAS is great investment for a keen amateur detailer. Good luck!
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

mik

Post by mik » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Years ago I got a kit that was a 500W Kestrel Das6, with a number of meguiars pads and polish. Its been perfect for my needs and I have never felt i needed more power.

It saved a few quid over the meguiars branded version.

(I did once feel I needed more power after polishing tbe roof and one full side of my wife's aunt's car - prepping it for sale. Things were going real slow, and it was frustrating me. As my wife handed me a cuppa i placed the Das6 down and spotted the speed control. That I had forgot it had. :oops: it was on setting 2. It goes up to 6. Funnily enough the rest of the car was finished much faster.... :geek: )
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Great advice. Many thanks all. A DAS 6 seems to be the way to go. I must admit to having almost as much fun detailing my car and admiring it as driving it :D

JAGFlubster

Post by JAGFlubster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Surely you can pay someone to do this for you :D

Flub!
3.0D 2018 S. Loire Blue, opening Pano roof, ictp, Adsr, space saver wheel, practicality pack, cold climate pack, HUD

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:35 pm

JAGFlubster wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Flub!
I am sure I can but there is considerable enjoyment to be had doing it myself and knowing it has been done well :D

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:39 am

Smitten wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:35 pm
JAGFlubster wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Flub!
I am sure I can but there is considerable enjoyment to be had doing it myself and knowing it has been done well :D
I'm with you on this Smitts. Considerable satisfaction to be had from a bit of detailing. OCD, SchmOCD I say (to my wife) :D
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”