Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Gardx

11K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  MyV6Jag 
#1 ·
Very exciting. I have an estimated delivery date of the 23rd October :D
The dealer has sent me a link to a company called Gardx which seem to coat the vehicle to protect it. Has anyone else had experience with this and would recommend. I have seen a few recommendations to get the car ceramic coated, is this the same?

He has also recommended the other protection policies that can be purchased. Please can I have your opinions.

#2 ·
Personally I'm a big fan of the Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black which is a ceramic treatment. Very pleased with the result from that. Can't say I know anything on Gardx.

#3 ·
Are they based in the U.K. Onion?

#5 ·
I have just had my new FPace treated with GardX and I have it on my sports car which is 3 years old. I have been impressed with the paint finish on that car. It still beads up and is easy to clean. I also had it on my previous XF and it made cleaning easy without the need to polish. It is suppose to be a lifetime treatment but I must admit from what I understand it is down to the quality of application which makes it work or not. Once on it will be registered with GardX for the lifetime warranty and they are based in the South of England.

Most serious detailers will probably say its better to have it done outside normal retailers as the preparation and application are important in making it effective however I have no complaints by what my garage has done. You should be given a kit of their products in a bag when you pick the car up, this also contains a top up fluid (can't remember the exact name for it) which can be used very easily every now and then to keep it going.

Good Luck

#6 ·
These are the options they are offering, it appears the gardx has a lifetime warranty.

Attachments

#7 ·
The prices shown from this dealer are far too high. We have just taken out tyre and alloy insurance on a RR Velar with identical claim specification with the dealer for£249 .Try some negotiating. As always there are mixed views on aftermarket paint treatments and to their effectiveness but your dealer is too expensive.. It is well known that salesmen get a fat commission on these products and as others on the forum have found Gap insurance is very much cheaper outside the dealer nerwork.

#8 ·
Very pricey options. I did my return to invoice and alloy prot3ction much cheaper via ALA.
If you get a good deal on it then probably worth having.
I went the Gtecniq route this time

#9 ·
Hi Seanyt My dealer (Jaguar Amersham) also offered GardX. I was a bit frustrated with the marketing blurb which did not say anything about what the product was (apart from how good it was) and the online video they pointed me towards was also free of any useful content.
I did find from the safety hazard sheets something of its composition and also spoke to someone in GardX's UK HQ to ask a bit more. The sales guy there I spoke to was incredible unhelpful/un-knowledgeable .. "Its just better" was as much as he could say about the product so that didn't inspire confidence. In essence I found out it is a polymer based sealant so somewhat equivalent to a top of the range consumer product. Probably better than Supaguard (which is also polymer based but an older generation product) but not as good as a ceramic product (eg Kenolon or Gtechniq). If you can get it for free why not go for it, but I'm not sure its worth £400 especially as the product will be applied by the dealer's own (probably outsourced) staff who won't clay bar it or machine polish before applying.. and the secret with these coatings is getting the prep right. If you're willing to pay £400 for Gard-X then the extra cost of a ceramic coating done by a proper detailer may be worth considering. Only 6 months in with my Kenolon ceramic coating but I've been very happy with my decision so far.

#10 ·
One other point Seanyt. Have you asked what the "lifetime guarantee" is and what you can claim for and how you go about using this guarantee.? When I asked it was incredibly vague and woolly

#11 ·
I have had the same conversation, very vague regarding what the product does and how long it lasts. Also hasn't responded when questioned against the lifetime warranty.... think I might give it all a swerve and look elsewhere. Too many negative reviews online!

#12 ·
I had GardX put on my FPace from New. After the first 2 months it had to be done again. It was not working. You also have to use every 6 (I think) washes, a liquid after the wash ,to top it up on the paint protection again !. We also purchased a RR Evoque at the same time. This had Autoguard treatment. No need to have a top up treatment and full warranty. The Autoguard is far superior compared to the GuardX. I sold the FPace after 6 months and 10,000 miles and bought a 3.0ds new one. This time I put on my own treatment with Autoguard products. the finish is excellent . I have had the new car now 6 months and 9500 miles. Still looking like New. Hope this helps.

#13 ·
GardX stage 1 and 2 in a bottle is being offered on E bay currently for £16.95. Bargain at this price and spend a couple of enjoyable hours applying it yourself.

#14 ·
Hydrajaws said:
GardX stage 1 and 2 in a bottle is being offered on E bay currently for £16.95
Makes you realise just what an enormous margin they make on stuff like this . . at first I was quoted £499 for GardX by my dealer :lol: :lol: , they came down a lot, like they were doing me a big favour . . but I still didn't take them up on the 'offer'

#15 ·
Thanks Catwoman for your realistic view! Now here is mine and I will get my tin hat on for the expected fallout!
All these aftermarket paint treatments have doubtful and unproven results and dealers are conning customers to have them applied at really inflated prices to line their own pockets with the commission offered. Modern waterbased paint systems with high gloss lacquer do not need an extra level of shine added and protection and water beading if this is your thing can be achieved by a good wax or nano-tech polish. The hard shell treatments such as Geotech give bodyshops serious problems in removing the stuff before panels can be repaired after accident damage and the cost of retreating becomes prohibitive.

#16 ·
HI there - as a couple of others have mentioned, this price is extremely high. Got GardX on RR red Evoque about a year ago and it still easy to clean and paint looks as it did when I picked her up. So after a winter and a summer outside, it was worth what I thought was expensive at the time...£250.

So for almost 10 times the cost, I'd definitely consider other options or if GardX is your choice, try a different detailer.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.