Bumper damage

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Doug

Bumper damage

Post by Doug » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Despite having a rear camera and sensors I still managed to reverse in to a wooden post :cry:
Needless to say I wasn't very happy and only now can i relax knowing my pride and joy is once again back to its magnificent self

Before I connected my smart repair guy I asked my JLR dealer for the price of a new rear bumper valance (the black plastic bit), I was told you have to buy a complete bumper (in primer) at £425 :o

Luckily My repair guy which I have used in the past took one look at the damage and said "give me a few hours". The pictures don't do his work justice, you would never now the bumper had been damaged and repaired.
The dent in the plastic was removed using heat, when the grey area was sanded to remove deep scratches sprayed and blown in to match. The black plastic valance was sanded and filled then sprayed with textured paint.

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

F pace R sport 2d auto. Ammonite grey. Black pack. 20" black venoms. Fixed panoramic roof. Privacy glass. Mood lighting. 380w sound. 19" space saver spare. Rear view camera. Cup holder gloss cover + dog guard

Dorlyncharm

Re: Bumper damage

Post by Dorlyncharm » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 pm

The guy has done anothing awesome job on the repair ...it looks as good as the day it came off the line.
You must be well chuffed !
2.0 D RSport. Fuji White. 19" Wheels. Reversing camera, 18 way electric seats, light oyster / ebony seats. Meridian 380W. Privacy Glass, folding mirrors, electric deployable towbar, mudflaps, space saver wheel.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Doug wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 pm
Despite having a rear camera and sensors I still managed to reverse in to a wooden post :cry:
Needless to say I wasn't very happy and only now can i relax knowing my pride and joy is once again back to its magnificent self

Before I connected my smart repair guy I asked my JLR dealer for the price of a new rear bumper valance (the black plastic bit), I was told you have to buy a complete bumper (in primer) at £425 :o

Luckily My repair guy which I have used in the past took one look at the damage and said "give me a few hours". The pictures don't do his work justice, you would never now the bumper had been damaged and repaired.
The dent in the plastic was removed using heat, when the grey area was sanded to remove deep scratches sprayed and blown in to match. The black plastic valance was sanded and filled then sprayed with textured paint.
I did this the beginning of this year..... Was also told you had to buy the whole bumper. Three attempts, four months later to respray it, it was finally confirmed all 3 components are separate and are only lightly heat welded together.

They talk such crap.
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:20 pm

That’s fantastic
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Gato Grande

Post by Gato Grande » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 pm

corriescar66 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 pm
Doug wrote:

I did this the beginning of this year..... Was also told you had to buy the whole bumper. Three attempts, four months later to respray it, it was finally confirmed all 3 components are separate and are only lightly heat welded together.

They talk such crap.
Hiya Corrie, can I ask how much the repair guy charged, and, are they a national Co ?, I hope I never have to use their services, but boy the finish is excellent
Auto, AWD, Portfolio, extra bits, sliding roof, Ammo grey, now over 12 months old, and, still looks lush.....👍😘

Gato Grande

Post by Gato Grande » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Doug wrote:

Sorry name wrong Doug

Was it good value and cost

I asked Corrie what it was when I should have been asking you, and are they national? I don't wish it to sound rude and ask about cost but I'm curious as against the Jag dealership

Regards
Auto, AWD, Portfolio, extra bits, sliding roof, Ammo grey, now over 12 months old, and, still looks lush.....👍😘

Doug

Post by Doug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Gato,

Not one of these Chips A**y or Dent D***l firms which are franchise company's. Both have a very bad reputation in my area, but it's not to say in other areas your be given a terrible job.
Like with many things in life recommendation is so important.

My guy and his business partner only work in the Ipswich area and are complete perfectionists. They both used to work for a Swedish motor manufacturer (the one still making cars) at their vehicle holding facility before it shut down. It was classed as a production finishing centre which would correct any body defects and repair shipping damage before the transporters would deliver the vehicles to the dealers.

The cost was £240 and it took him 4hrs to complete. Previous work was for stone chips and cost less at around £100-£150.

Any one in the IP area in need of a "smart repair", I can place their details on the forum (if this is allowed) or by private message.
F pace R sport 2d auto. Ammonite grey. Black pack. 20" black venoms. Fixed panoramic roof. Privacy glass. Mood lighting. 380w sound. 19" space saver spare. Rear view camera. Cup holder gloss cover + dog guard

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Looks a flawless repair! The removal of the scratches on the black plastic valance section is also very impressive, looks better than the original finish . . and all for a reasonable price too . . good outcome :)
8-) . . 2.0d R-Sport, AWD, Ammonite + Blk Pk, Jet/Red

Gato Grande

Post by Gato Grande » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:28 am

Doug wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:16 pm
Gato,

Not one of these Chips A**y or Dent D***l firms which are franchise company's. Both have a very bad reputation in my area, but it's not to say in other areas your be given a terrible job.
Like with many things in life recommendation is so important.

My guy and his business partner only work in the Ipswich area and are complete perfectionists. They both used to work for a Swedish motor manufacturer (the one still making cars) at their vehicle holding facility before it shut down. It was classed as a production finishing centre which would correct any body defects and repair shipping damage before the transporters would deliver the vehicles to the dealers.

The cost was £240 and it took him 4hrs to complete. Previous work was for stone chips and cost less at around £100-£150.

Any one in the IP area in need of a "smart repair", I can place their details on the forum (if this is allowed) or by private message.

Morning Doug,

Very reasonable price, and as Catwoman says, finish is sublime

Well done

Heatha05

Post by Heatha05 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:59 am

Looks like a great repair. I'll swear there's a blind spot in the cameras and sensors because I've managed to do that in the exact same spot as you twice (although with minimal damage). Both times the beeps have only kicked in as I hit the pillar.
2.0 AWD Portfolio, BRG, Espresso interior. Adaptive dynamics, incontrol touch pro. Heated steering wheel, cupholder cover, privacy glass.

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”