First scratch

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
ScouseJag

Re: First scratch

Post by ScouseJag » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm

This is what you call a scratch/dent!
Don't worry polish it out, it's only a car! :lol: :lol:
Six months after the car in front reversed into me! It loooks as good as day 1 and it's over a year old now!
My experience is you pay for what you get so Rye Street Motors did mine and I'd go back again but don't want to! :lol: :lol: :lol:

image1.jpeg

Four Wheels. Goes like a bullet hence Ammo coloured, has a dipstick- under bonnet! Has headlights that are bright, noisy bumpers that beep but most off all I have a bean to coffee machine cover which is nice and slidy and is great for decapitating cups

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 pm

So wheres today's photos then?

Glad it has worked out so well for you.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:25 am

Jagfpacejk wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:45 pm
Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:02 pm

I use Maguiars and there DA polisher and i would say be very very careful, it is far to easy to polish through the top lacquer and go into the colour requiring a panel re-spray.
With a rotary polisher, I agree completely. To be honest, you can't go too far wrong with a DA polisher though, unless you use it like an absolute hooligan!
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:25 am
Jagfpacejk wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:45 pm
Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:02 pm

I use Maguiars and there DA polisher and i would say be very very careful, it is far to easy to polish through the top lacquer and go into the colour requiring a panel re-spray.
With a rotary polisher, I agree completely. To be honest, you can't go too far wrong with a DA polisher though, unless you use it like an absolute hooligan!

Sorry but a DA polisher will polish through lacquer very quickly if not used correctly with the correct compound, they are easier to use but also easy to polish though lacquer when used incorrectly.

This is the problem with places like You tube ect ect, they make it look easy and most of the times it is but its just that one time where you go just too far and there's no going back.

Thats why i said, if you can feel any marks on the car with your nail then its too deep.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 am

Well I guess that comes down to how intelligent or careful people are going to be. The dual nature of the polisher means that excess heat is not built up on particular areas of the paint dramatically lowering the risks of damage versus a rotary polisher, but yes, if you leave the polisher in the same place for a protracted period of time without the correct chemicals, it will take of the lacquer. You could also do that by hand as well if you had a mind to! The stuff I've read suggests that a DA polisher is fine for the amateur detailer or sensible owner (obviously that's 100% of F-Pace owners :))- I've not read of any DA 'horror stories' but no doubt there are some out there somewhere!
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm

True, a DA polisher stops paint burn but both versions used in an area too long with remove the lacquer off the paint.

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:52 am

Well now we're just violently agreeing with each other I'd say...:-)

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:52 am
Well now we're just violently agreeing with each other I'd say...:-)
Possibly. ;)

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:42 am

bank5ter wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:33 am

who did you use...I have seen some good reviews from chips away but no personal experience.

Sorry it's taken a while to respond but I've been on the road working for a while.

I contacted my scratch insurane company and they sent a local (Telford) guy round to my house. The insurance is with Car2Cover.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”