Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

First teensy weensy scratch

7K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  f-pace-pete 
#1 ·
Gutted!

No idea how it happened but we have a thin white scratch about an inch long that at first I thought was a cat hair!

Is there any way to remedy this without replacing the entire panel? :eek:

#2 ·
I always relax after the first scratch. It's going to happen at some point so I find it a relief to get it out of the way!

Of course there's all sorts of products you can use to minimise what's there and if it looked like a cat hair then I suspect you can improve the appearance or take it to a SMART repairer. I paid about £150 to remove a deep scratch a few years back.

#3 ·
Yes, I know exactly how you feel about it, "gutted", is definitely the word . . but don't agonise over it, as JLR#5 says, these things are bound to happen somewhere on the car at sometime. When I was washing my car recently I was mortified to discover a really tiny little stone chip in the paint, almost dead-centre on the expanse of the bonnet. It showed as a tiny white fleck in the ammonite grey surface which could be felt when running a fingernail lightly across it. Definitely was a bit of a 'downer' for a while, but I just decided to darken it down with a blob of black scratch cover car wax, polished it off, stood back, couldn't see it anymore. Job done. I've completely stopped worrying about it now. Suggest you do something similar with yours. The Ammonite shade is a surprisingly forgiving colour, but white scratches will definitely stand out to the eye, especially once you know they're there, so they are much less visible when they are darkened against the background. Cost to sort out, almost nothing! . . all good :p

#4 ·
Never a pleasure and sorry to hear. The good news is that bodyshops do miracle repairs for not a lot of money nowadays.

There is an F-Pace near me that has had more than a scratch to its passenger rear door and rear quarter at a bodyshop near me, and the repair is looking very good so far.

#5 ·
Sorry to read your news.
Can you post a close up picture of the scratch and one including the whole panel please. That way myself and others can give more activate advice.

#6 ·
May find it can just be polished out. I had a branch scrape from a hedge that left a nasty scratch. Had my car detailed and they nailed it.
If bit deeper the mobile smart repair guys are pretty good.

Picture would be good.

#8 ·
Sympathies!! If it's not through to the metal then use a scratch remover - I rate Meguiars ultimate compound very highly - works even better if you have a DA polisher. If deeper, then body shop might be the only solution. I've used the local Chips Away with good results, but these are franchises and quality can vary across the UK. Good luck!

#9 ·
Just waiting for a day when the Jag is on the drive so I can get a photo! (the missus takes it to work and then puts it back in the garage)

I'm in Australia so some of the products you mention may not be available to me, I'm sure there are similar.

Presume that T-cut isn't an option?

#10 ·
Sorry, yes, Chips away is a UK franchise. You surely get Meguiars products there though?

For me, T-cut is a bit aggressive for this, and the newer products (like MUC) are more high tech with micro-abrasives which shrink as you apply them.

#12 ·
Going by the pictures, that won't Polish out as it's down to the base coat.
On the plus side the damage is on one of the smaller panels, so a complete respray on the rear quarter would be possible without to much work or disturbance to the rest of the car.

Be wary of any body shop that tells you they can just blow over the damged area. It will never match and the cost of spraying the complete panel would only be few dollars more.

Ive got a mate who will do it for £50 cash + shipping :D

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.