Advice on removing water spots

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
JLRnumber5

Re: Advice on removing water spots

Post by JLRnumber5 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Growler wrote: ..., and might push me more in the direction of a getting a water softener installed in the house.
tonythehootlet is right to point out considerations about water softener installation ... most boilers heat exchangers don't like softened water so you either need to design your system so that you aren't feeding the boiler with softened water, or make sure your boiler is compatible... then benfits are definitely worth it in my opinion.. we've have halved our spend on detergents (shower, washing machine, dishwasher, etc) since installing 4 years ago and all our taps, glass, tiling grout etc etc looks brand new and cleans really easily ... no water spots on the car either! ;)
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 pm

My advice - Use a good drying towel ( I use a GYEON Q2M SILK DRYER which is frankly astonishing), followed by a decent quick detailer (for me Zaino Z6 or perhaps CG's synthetic quick detailer). This does the trick on my black paintwork in a fairly hard-water area, but the last part does obviously involve a bit more effort!
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Biggerquest

Post by Biggerquest » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Get two of these cloths, removes the water completely, you will be amazed! :)

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/gyeon-q2m ... orbent.php

You can also go over any water marks with this

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/gyeon-q2m ... nt-and.php
2.0 R Sport Auto, Ammo, BLK Pack, Taurus Oyster Seats, 20" BLK Venoms, ICTP 380W, Sliding Pano, 10 Way Seats, ADSR, Privacy Glass, Bld Spot, Rev Cam, Cup Holder Cover

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 pm
My advice - Use a good drying towel ( I use a GYEON Q2M SILK DRYER which is frankly astonishing), followed by a decent quick detailer (for me Zaino Z6 or perhaps CG's synthetic quick detailer). This does the trick on my black paintwork in a fairly hard-water area, but the last part does obviously involve a bit more effort!
Yes today I've used a big microfibres no scratch drying towel. Wow.
Mind you even with that having the water with no lime in it to start with on final rinse really is the way for a quick,perfect easy way for a great finish.

Today I snow foamed for first time. Rinsed. Washed with a mitt. Aquagleam rinse then big old towel that gave a good finish alone. Quick walk round and buff with a cloth where needed and done.
Finish is amazing.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Growler wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:08 pm
Mbadger77 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:54 pm
Really simple. Aquagleam filter.

Once all washed connect the filter to the hose and rinse off. Dry as normal and finish up.
Makes a huge difference especially in summer when it's warm and dries quickly.

I went for the big one this time as works out a lot cheaper but it's pretty big !

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/aqua-gleam.aspx
I notice the web page suggests the filter is good for around 20 washes (in my hard water area) before it needs replacing. In your view is that number is realistic/optimistic/pessimistic? £3 per rinse sounds a bit pricey, and might push me more in the direction of a getting a water softener installed in the house.
Yes I went for the 0ppm so it doesn't last as long in hard water area.
I reckon it costs a bit more than that and 20 washes may push it. I'd pay 20 - 30 at the car wash so I'm ok with it and after watching the car wash guys and the pressure washers, cloths etc I couldn't ever take it there while in such good nick.

I've just bought the bigger one for £89 this time. It's huge so will get many more washes and will be much more cost effective.
Saves time as well so happy to save 20 mins for a few quid :)
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm

I've often wondered whether water-skiing should be banned on health grounds. Oh wait, sorry, wrong Board - I 've clearly confused this with 'Advice on removing water sports' :D

(Worst pun ever? Could well be :? )
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

jstitch

Post by jstitch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 am

Advice from a detailer:

Mr Muscle furniture polish sprayed on a damp microfibre cloth, wipe over paintwork.

Dec_mcginn

Post by Dec_mcginn » Sun May 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Hello all,
I'm in SE London and have notoriously hard water. I found this thread really interesting and it explains why I haven't been able to get the finish I want even using the two bucket technique and microfibre towels to dry.
Rather than fork out for a water softener, today I mixed up a weak vinegar solution (approx 20% vinegar to water) and sprayed it all over before drying.
I must say I've had the best results from a home wash I've ever had. If you want a cheap fix, I'd recommend it. The big cat is sparkling in the sunshine today like never before after washing it at home.
I've attached a pic and you can really see the metallic elements of the DSB paint sparkle in the sun.
D

IMG_1902.JPG

F Pace 3.0 S supercharged, panoramic roof, in control touch pro, black pack, dark sapphire, gesture tailgate and lumbar adjustment

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sun May 21, 2017 1:53 pm

Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

tonythehoolet

Post by tonythehoolet » Mon May 22, 2017 5:47 pm

In the end I bought the carlack detailer recommended by Arianne and it works well. I've heard from the detailer who put my ceramic coating on that any decent detailing spray should do the job, but from my short experience I certainly can recommend Carlack. At some point I will probably make the leap into one of the de-ionised water solutions proposed by others on this thread....
AWD Auto Portfolio in dark sapphire blue, sliding roof, light oyster leather, driver memory pack, ICTP, space saver spare, cupholder cover and Kenolon ceramic shield paint protection.

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”