Pressure Washer Advice

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Apollya

Pressure Washer Advice

Post by Apollya » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am

Hi All,

Currently cleaning my car using a garden hose to wet, then snow foam to cover and after a sponge, then finally rinsing with the hose again.

I've been thinking about getting a pressure washer, that I can use to clean off after the snow foam and adding in a decent car shampoo stage too. before anyone says it, I know to clean off from a distance and be careful on the pressure settings too.

Any advice on pressure washers? Seen some decent reviews on the Bosch ones, Have used many K'A'RCHER before and whilst mechanically they are great often found they had flimsy designs with plastic external parts often breaking.

Any advice would be welcomed
2.0D AWD Auto Dark Sapphire Blue R-Sport, Black Pack, LED Lights, Sliding Pano roof, Privacy glass, Adaptive; Dynamics & Queue assist, 18-way mem climate seats, 380W ICTP, Lane and 360 Park assist, blind spot, Gesture tailgate... :D

redonebe

Re: Pressure Washer Advice

Post by redonebe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:43 am

Can't give you advice on brand but i am using a diesel powered hot water pressure washer. Found the investment more then usefull. Much easier to remove greasy stuff.

First use it with warm water too remove dirt. Then wash it manualy and remove the foam with cold water.

If i am not too lazy and go to the car wash :D
2.0D Prestige, Ultimate Black, Jet, Intouch Pro , privacy, 18" Lightweight 15, cup holder cover....,

Littlewig

Post by Littlewig » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:54 am

First - DON"T USE A SPONGE. Scratch the hell out of cars. Get a lambswool or noodle mit/cloth. Sponges take the dirt off the surface of the car but because of their construction stay on the surface of the sponge and you are at risk of it becoming like sandpaper pad adding small scratches to the surface. The woolly mitts allow the particles to go in between the fibres thus avoiding the issue. Best used with the two bucket method (one for shampoo and one with clean water to rinse off the dirty mitt before putting in shampoo bucket again). Sorry if preaching.

I use the Karcher K4 which has appeared to be pretty good for the last year and allows you to moderate the power (i use medium). As best you can, you are also encouraged to use it at 45 degrees (and as you say from a reasonable distance) to stop you blasting dirt directly into the paint.
Arrived :D - 3.0d V6 S in Ammonite with 22" turbines, ADSr, ICTP 340w, mood lighting, 360 parking, panno roof, space saver, illuminated door steps, LED headlights, 14-way seats, winter pack and cup holder covers...

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:02 pm

I've had the same Karcher washer for around 15 years now and its still going strong, only once had any issues on paint work when I didn't notice a scratch under the dirt and the washer not only cleaned off the direct but lifted the paint along the scratch for about 1cm either side, it was on a two year old Citroen on the plastic trim along the door! I learned that lesson very quickly!

The good thing about Karcher is that parts are easy to get hold of plus lots of useful attachments for other tasks, particularly like the sand blaster (great for old cast iron garden furniture!) - would not like to see what that would do to the paintwork!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

Apollya

Post by Apollya » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Littlewig wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:54 am
First - DON"T USE A SPONGE.
Was a brand new sponge, went into halfords and was not very impressed with their offerings so decided to buy cheaply as I'll still buy a much nicer set of cleaning things. But yes I can completely understand the dirt will eventually build up in the porous sponge and scratch paint / coatings.

thanks all for replies, most seem to be saying K'A'RCHER.
2.0D AWD Auto Dark Sapphire Blue R-Sport, Black Pack, LED Lights, Sliding Pano roof, Privacy glass, Adaptive; Dynamics & Queue assist, 18-way mem climate seats, 380W ICTP, Lane and 360 Park assist, blind spot, Gesture tailgate... :D

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:38 pm

I use a Karcher K2 .. it does many jobs around the home. Great little device. As others have said be careful. Test it on the back of your hand to get comfortable with distance and angle. When it starts to hurt then stop and remember not to go closer than that on the car!
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:03 pm

+1 . . 4 the Karcher K2 . . :D

. . . got one last year, thought it might be rubbish 'cos it was cheap as chips (only £49!), but it does the job very well . . and great to use 'cos it's small and not too powerful to do any serious damage . . I can definitely recommend . . at that price it wouldn't hurt if you had to buy one every year :)
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few other options

Chillisunset

Post by Chillisunset » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 pm

The Karcher K4 Full Control is great as you can select the power level with ease and also spray on the detergent directly from the unit.
I got mine from B&Q last week and it came with the car cleaning brush and patio cleaner.
Also used it to clean my Velux windows and garden furniture so all round a great product for the home and car.

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:57 pm

I have a Nilfisk C110. Most people would say Nilfisk quality is better than Karcher (Nilfisk pumps are all metal, lower end Karcher are plastic), and Nilfisk usually slightly cheaper on a like for like model comparison.

http://pressurewasherreviewer.co.uk/kar ... -the-game/
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1532905
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=354042
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=3117584

Get yourself a decent snow foam lance too. Snow foam without a pressure washer isn't really snow foam in my eyes.
2.0D Auto AWD, Portfolio, Quartzite / Latte, Cold Climate Pack, 10 Way Memory pack, Lumbar Adjust, InControl Touch pro 380W, Adaptive Dynamics Pack, Configurable Mood Lighting, Rear Seat Remote Release Levers & Cup Holder Cover.

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:43 pm

So I have to admit that last year, I decided to up the ante on the spray washer, and go for one of the Karcher professional units (the HD 6/13).
http://www.trafalgarcleaningequipment.c ... AisQ8P8HAQ

Much more robust than the consumer versions, all brass connections, and jesus wept, is it powerful, with 190 bar maximum pressure. You can get a decent snow foam lance for it off fleabay, and it cleans off a dusty car beautifully. I actually bought it for the patio though which I can now do in half the time versus my previous K5. :mrgreen:
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”