Ceramic Testing

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Mbadger77

Ceramic Testing

Post by Mbadger77 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:41 pm

It's not perhaps a proper test in many ways but thought it was interesting seeing how resilient the liquid was if left on and not properly applied.

https://www.glossboss.de/en/gtechniq-cr ... plication/

Not much I'm trying to imply or say about it as a product just thought I would share,
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Markotley

Re: Ceramic Testing

Post by Markotley » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:58 pm

I had mine done by a business in Chelmsford called Definitive Detail and they did a fantastic job so that now it shines even through the dirt and is really easy to clean. I would recommend this treatment although is not cheap but, as I live in the country, I hope it will prolong the life of the paintwork.
3L Supercharged - Pro Touch - 20" Venom Wheels - Adaptive Cruise + Queue - Adaptive Surface Response - Surround Cameras -Head Up - Prac. Pack - Ultimate Black - Heated Steering Wheel - LED Lights

Hydrajaws

Post by Hydrajaws » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:09 pm

I was warned by a paint and bodyshop manager not touch this product with a very long barge pole and this just confirms what he said. I do not understand the obsession that in recent times has taken hold of people to have paintwork treated in such a way. Not all good things come from the USA where this expensive conn started.
2 Rejected F Paces behind me and now happily driving a 2018. 2.0 D 240 AWD XF Sportbrake in caesium blue.
2006 XK 4.2 Convertible. 1965 Daimler 2.5 V8 .

Markotley

Post by Markotley » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:32 pm

In defence of the product the finish is superb if done correctly as was mine.
3L Supercharged - Pro Touch - 20" Venom Wheels - Adaptive Cruise + Queue - Adaptive Surface Response - Surround Cameras -Head Up - Prac. Pack - Ultimate Black - Heated Steering Wheel - LED Lights

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm sure mine wasn't done correctly as it was done by the dealer (Williams Ceramic) and it was free but I'm pleasantly surprised given I had zero expectations. It's a doddle to clean and after a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth it looks like it's been polished. The finish looks like a solid liquid if that makes sense. Never seen white look glossy before. Works well with the glossy black pack.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Doug

Post by Doug » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:23 pm

In answer to your body shop comment, your correct in saying there don't like hard coat paint treatments.

The reason is they can't remove them with panel wipe, or even by "mopping" (machine polishing) in some cases and wet sanding is the only way to remove the coating from the paint surface. This all adds extra time on to a job which hadn't been quoted for.

Also masking tape won't stick very well to any treated surface which makes it harder to perform a rolled edge. Ok any decent body shop wouldn't try blowing in a large panel and would just spay the whole thing but they still need to mask and cover the complete vehicle.

One further factor to consider is garages in general don't like well cared for vehicles. On a well known detailing forum there's loads of story's of poor paint jobs been carried out, which to the general eye would have never been spotted or cared about.
I've seen pictures of vehicle that have been mopped after panel repair by body shops and the finish is horrendous

So the reason is customers who care enough about there car to have paid a detailer to apply a decent paint treatment are much more likely to complain about there work. This might sound strange but is true insurance companies get them down on the price and they just don't have the time to care anymore
F pace R sport 2d auto. Ammonite grey. Black pack. 20" black venoms. Fixed panoramic roof. Privacy glass. Mood lighting. 380w sound. 19" space saver spare. Rear view camera. Cup holder gloss cover + dog guard

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:04 pm

Yes left on to dry it shows how hard wearing and durable the coating is but of course it's wiped off earlier so isn't a direct comparison to the finished product. And since this is a detailing forum have to say you will only believe it once you've seen it and used it. Not saying it gives a hard protective barrier or anything like that protection wise but it's truly wonderful how long it lasts and how easy it makes cleaning. Having a polished glass finish without polishing - yes please.

Now I wrecked my car and it had swirls from factory that were never corrected so now I've sent it to somewhere that really looks a quality operation.

Effectively it's just like varnish coating your floors I guess almost like a lacquer.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 pm

Doug wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:23 pm
In answer to your body shop comment, your correct in saying there don't like hard coat paint treatments.

The reason is they can't remove them with panel wipe, or even by "mopping" (machine polishing) in some cases and wet sanding is the only way to remove the coating from the paint surface. This all adds extra time on to a job which hadn't been quoted for.

Also masking tape won't stick very well to any treated surface which makes it harder to perform a rolled edge. Ok any decent body shop wouldn't try blowing in a large panel and would just spay the whole thing but they still need to mask and cover the complete vehicle.

One further factor to consider is garages in general don't like well cared for vehicles. On a well known detailing forum there's loads of story's of poor paint jobs been carried out, which to the general eye would have never been spotted or cared about.
I've seen pictures of vehicle that have been mopped after panel repair by body shops and the finish is horrendous

So the reason is customers who care enough about there car to have paid a detailer to apply a decent paint treatment are much more likely to complain about there work. This might sound strange but is true insurance companies get them down on the price and they just don't have the time to care anymore
Good point. I'd never thought about it from that side but again it's not a concern right now :) I just want a stunning finish and easy cleaning.
A few years back I would have said what a load of bo****s people spending £700 + on this fairy mist. Now I've seen it then I'll hold my hands up. Fantastic.

JLR your probably right it's may not have been done as a perfect job. I had it done at a BMW dealers and it had a mark and swirls underneath as wasn't corrected and sorted first. I then washed badly with a sponge a few times and made it worse.
The finish was good but not perfect due to the prep. My new guys are removing the lot and starting again and taking pictures and video along the way as it's a good showcase for them. I also scratched it from a hedge so hopefully they clear that as well.

Will upload once done.

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”