Excessive Swirling Black paint

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Barthog

Excessive Swirling Black paint

Post by Barthog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:35 am

After arranging my local Detailer to visit the dealer 10 days ago to apply Gtechniq products only to be told due to soft paint couldn't even attempt to remove the excessive swirls all over the body.
I picked up my car last Saturday everything working and car looks beautiful in the showroom.
Since collecting I have driven only in the dark and haven't had chance go over the car in bright sunlight.

Yesterday I visited another professional detailer for a second option and work required to apply the above products.
He confirmed the previous report excessive swirling, result 3 stage polishing required at considerable expense.
So today I am off to dealer for their thoughts on how this will be recitified.

They were fully aware of the initial report and advised they would rectify any issues, I am not an expert on paint and looking over the car it looked fine in the dealer showroom, but when pointed out from photographs with flash it shows up massively the swirling I couldn't see when collecting.

If any one else had similar problems and what was the resolution, I would be grateful for information.
Due March,Ebony Black,10 Way Jet/Light Oyster,20" Grey Blades,Pano roof/Gloss Black,ICT Pro 380W,Adap Dynam,Pract Pack,Keyless Entry,Rear View Cam,Config Mood Lighting,priv glass,Hted Scrn/Jets,350mm Brakes,S/saver,cup holder,Serv/Pack.Activity Key.

bensales

Re: Excessive Swirling Black paint

Post by bensales » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:58 am

As the proud owner of a black car, and a detailing fanatic, I'd just let the detailer sort it out. I very much doubt the dealer is going to be able to prep the car sufficiently well for a ceramic coating. Most people, including car dealers, don't see swirls as bad. I was lucky and mine wasn't too bad, and I've since corrected it.

I guess you only contracted the first dealer for the application of the Gtechnic and not the prep? Surprising they offered to do that, most will only do it if they also polish the car first.
2018 XF-S Supercharged. In black. With extra black bits. And a bit more black.

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 am

Mine has swirling and I think I contribute to it heavily but also some from the dealers.

The paint will harden over time so could leave if a few weeks maybe and book into detailer. Get him to detail properly then apply and you will have the most amazing finish.
I've picked up a few small marks / scratches as well so I'm getting mine done properly 7 months after buying it,
Ceramic coating is great. Just washed it now and didn't take long and came up a treat.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:56 am

I deliberately asked my dealer not to wash the car when it arrived. to be fair, he was a bit horrified handing over a dusty brand new (black) car, but he complied, and hence I received a my car free of swirl marks. There is still the odd 'gossamer line' here and there, but unless you really want to spend big money or loads of time, you'll always have the odd one of these. Hence for me , it was just a matter of waxing and sealing (which is a bit belt and braces to be honest.

First I washed the car using 2 buckets, both with grit guards, and a brand new meguiars lambs wool wash mitt. I then applied Soft99 Fusso dark using a DA polisher and the black chemical guys foam pad. Buffed it off and let it harden for a few hours, and I then applied BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, a polymer sealant, applied and buffed by hand. Finally, a quick wipe round with my favorite quick detailer for black paint, Zaino's Z6. Finally, quick wipe of the windows with AG Fast Glass, and a spray of the tyres with Car Plan New Look tyre shine foam.

A worthwhile 4 hours overall, and I'm pretty happy with the results! :D
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2692
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

bensales

Post by bensales » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:06 am

Shouldn't you apply the sealant first, and then the wax? Sealant needs to bond to perfectly clean paint. It won't bond to wax as well and it will come off as the wax degrades. If you put it on first, then you can keep topping up the wax, and it preserves the sealant and the paint.

Car looks awesome though!

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 am

bensales wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:06 am
Shouldn't you apply the sealant first, and then the wax? Sealant needs to bond to perfectly clean paint. It won't bond to wax as well and it will come off as the wax degrades. If you put it on first, then you can keep topping up the wax, and it preserves the sealant and the paint.

Car looks awesome though!
Thanks Ben - that's a very fair question, and there is a lot of debate from detailers on both sides of this argument. In all honesty, I suspect the real answer is that you only have to do one rather than both, but it can't hurt!! I know a few chemists who laugh at the concept of polymers 'bonding' with the paintwork in polymer based sealants, as opposed to the ceramic variety which genuinely do!!

I'll see how long this lasts and next time reverse it an =d see what happens!! :D
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

bensales

Post by bensales » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:19 am

Agreed, I only do one or the other.

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection for the winter, and Autoglym HD wax for the summer.

jkmerton

Post by jkmerton » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:20 am

I agree that sealant first before applying wax in order for the sealant to bond onto the surface and last longer.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:35 pm

This is a issue with today's paint, I think in the old days not only the paint but the finish was so much better.

Darker cars especially black show paint problems so much more then a lighter colour like white.

Having had many colours of cars the colour black is the hardest to keep that shine look.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Barthog

Post by Barthog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Big smile on my face now,
Car looks mint. Everything how I wanted all windows/wheels treated.
Paintwork so shiny and dirt blows off.

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

Due March,Ebony Black,10 Way Jet/Light Oyster,20" Grey Blades,Pano roof/Gloss Black,ICT Pro 380W,Adap Dynam,Pract Pack,Keyless Entry,Rear View Cam,Config Mood Lighting,priv glass,Hted Scrn/Jets,350mm Brakes,S/saver,cup holder,Serv/Pack.Activity Key.

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”