Car Washing: advice and suggestions

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Arianne

Re: New forum request

Post by Arianne » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Stimulated! wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:31 am
I would also be interested.

As someone who has always washed my cars with a $1 bucket and a $2 sponge, I haven't actually dared clean the F-Pace yet as I don't want to make any mistakes!
So here is the advice for beginners. Doing this won't take you into the 'Detailers' Club' but it will ensure you don't damage your new car while washing it.....

Contrary to what we believe, washing a car without following a few basic rules causes more harm than good. The single biggest cause of scratching to the paintwork is poor washing technique because you pick up grit from the bodywork and then swirl it around under your sponge on other parts of the car. Your sponge becomes sandpaper!

So first rule. Ditch the sponge and get a noodle hand mitt or better still, a lambs wool mitt. Sponges are for washing old bangers not. Jaguar F-Pace.

Second rule. Buy two buckets of a different colour. This is called the 'two bucket wash method'. It's simple. Shampoo in one bucket and plain water in the other. Take nice clean dry mitt, dip in shampoo bucket, wash bodywork and then rinse out in the other bucket before starting the cycle again. That way the grit settles in your second bucket and the water you apply with your next wash is grit-free.

Third rule. Hose or power wash the car down to get as much grit off of it first before using your mitt. Getting the grit off the bodywork at the start helps reduce the sandpaper effect.

Fourth rule. Don't use a chamois leather, it's not 1977 anymore. Use a proper, big drying towel. They will dry your car if you pat it in one foul swoop. The chamois leather will also scratch your paint work.

As you can see, it's all about avoiding the sandpaper effect when washing. This is the biggest leap of progress a beginner can make, it doesn't cost much and doesn't add much time to the process. Beyond that you start to become obsessive, bit by bit. So decide where you want to stop - the 80/20 rule applies.

Finally, just use a quality shampoo. Never, ever use washing up liquid as it contains abrasive salt and will strip your car of its protective finishes.

If my cars are dirty but the weather is so poor that I cannot do this basic routine or I don't have time - they stay dirty. Better that than ruin the paintwork with a bodged cleaning routine.

The forgoing is particularly relevant if you have a dark coloured car as those scratchy swirly marks will show up faster.

There is much more to car detailing but this is my top tip for beginners who want to do the basic car wash without causing damage.

And of course, enjoy it!

Arianne.

PS. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend car wash machines. Either roller or where you do the work - those cleaning brushes are probably full of grit from where the last person dropped the brush on the ground!
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Stimulated!

Post by Stimulated! » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi Arianne, great advice thank you.

I have a few questions before I dare begin!
Arianne wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:40 pm
That way the grit settles in your second bucket and the water you apply with your next wash is grit-free.
I have seen recommendations to use "grit guards" in the buckets - do you consider these beneficial / necessary?
Arianne wrote:
Use a proper, big drying towel.
Can you give me an example? I actually don't know what I should be looking to buy. Like, maybe a link to a picture or something?
Arianne wrote:
Finally, just use a quality shampoo.
How do I know a shampoo is good quality - is it just "ph balanced" or are there any other characteristics I should look for? I would never use washing up liquid but I do have car was liquid I have used on previous cars - might not be good enough for the Jag though.

Thanks very much for your advice.
20D Ammonite with loads of options, some of which I understand how to use.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 pm

Happy to help...

The two bucket method is cheaper and superior to a grit guard in one bucket alone. The latter is better than nothing but you are still rinsing your mitt in the same bucket that you are then using to pick up your next swish of water & shampoo to apply to the car. As you swirl and squeeze your mitt in the single bucket, the water will disturb the grit and kick it up again. Two 99p buckets from B&Q with handles is the simple answer - one orange (clean water) and the other black (dirty water).

Regarding shampoo. My advice would be to always buy a shampoo without wax. You want a simple shampoo that helps lift dirt and acts as a lubricant to stop grit damage. I use a Poorboys product with a nice orange scent, see image below.

And here is the link to Polihed Bliss, an online supplier that I use for all my supplies. Be careful, it quickly becomes a habit and this online store has absolutely everything you could ever want.

When you're ready, I can provide some guidance on polishes, waxes, sealants and clay bars. But get started with the stuff I have recommended to begin with. You will want to apply a protective wax or sealant soon so the paint is protected from bird droppings and water will bead off of it. But let's start at the beginning!

Best wishes, Arianne

Polished Bliss online store... http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... #aPBDT0001

Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

Stimulated!

Post by Stimulated! » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Thank you very much. I'm in Australia, so I won't be able to get the exact products you use, I'll aim to find something with the same characteristics.

I appreciate your advice, thank you.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29 am

Apologies, despite the icon and your details in the location field, I didn't realise you were in Australia.

Take care and enjoy your new F-Pace.

Arianne

Stimulated!

Post by Stimulated! » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:52 am

Arianne wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29 am
Apologies, despite the icon and your details in the location field, I didn't realise you were in Australia.
All good, you have given me some good pointers as to what I should be looking for here.

Another question (sorry!) - what do you use for spot cleaning? For instance, if you had just done a full clean and then the day after a bird pood on the car or something similar.

Thanks!

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:13 am

There is an important step that Arianne seems to be missing... First jet wash to remove as much dirt as possible, but then use a quality 'snow foam', leave for 10 mins, then rinse again with jet wash, before moving on to shampoo/mitts....

I'm relatively new to these methods, but the snow foam really works in removing 90% of dirt & the less grit before wiping anything on the paint the better...

While the F Pace is ceramic coated, it works well on the other cars too.

I'm not convinced by the two bucket method & have now moved on to one bucket & 4 mitts!

Hope this adds to the food for thought!
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 am

Arianne wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29 am

Take care and enjoy your new F-Pace.

Arianne
I know what threw you Arianne and that's Stimulated's reference to Aidensfield and Heartbeat in a previous post!

PS that's a very tidy garage you have there.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Stimulated!

Post by Stimulated! » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 am

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 am
I know what threw you Arianne and that's Stimulated's reference to Aidensfield and Heartbeat in a previous post!
Ha ha! Yes, ex-England. Bath, then Taunton, then Hampstead, then Shepherds Bush, then New Zealand, then Ruislip (where I owned my first Jaguar), then Australia.

Is Heartbeat even still on in the UK?

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:42 am

Stimulated! wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 am
JLRnumber5 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 am
Ha ha! Yes, ex-England. Bath, then Taunton, then Hampstead, then Shepherds Bush, then New Zealand, then Ruislip, then Australia.

Is Heartbeat even still on in the UK?
Oh yes..... Just a country of endless repeats.... The more channels, the more they trawl the archives...

They've recently brought back The Persuaders too!
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”