Car Washing: advice and suggestions

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Matteus F-Pace

Re: Car Washing: advice and suggestions

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:09 am

Great thread, which I thought I'd add to having read it through. Regarding grit guards mentioned earlier in the thread, I agree that they don't substitute for the two bucket approach - That's why I use two buckets, each with a grit guard in them. It really helps.

Secondly, I have found Meguairs ultimate compound is the best stuff to get rid of 'hedge scratches' raised by Beany1. If you can stretch to buying a DA polisher, this is even more effective and less work!!
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Jonnyzander

Post by Jonnyzander » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:11 pm

What you don't want to do is this.

I bought a Hozelock car washing brush with clever shampoo applicator and proceeded to wash the car.

It's now covered in scratches as the hosepipe picked up grit from the road and damaged numerous panels as it rubbed across the surfaces :o :roll:

Luckily I bought scratch insurance with ALA so might give them a call.

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3810.JPG

About to sell - a 17 plate with 5000 miles. R Sport AWD ebony black. Black pack, privacy glass, 20" black venoms, rear camera, folding mirrors, aluminium gear shift paddles, panoramic roof, red & black interior.

bensales

Post by bensales » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:36 pm

That looks fairly easy to rectify yourself with a polisher rather than claiming on insurance. Hop over to www.detailingworld.co.uk for some tips.
2018 XF-S Supercharged. In black. With extra black bits. And a bit more black.

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes would definitely be worth trying to polish these out first, unless you have genuinely gone down to the metal. as I say, Megs Ultimate Compound works well by hand, and works even better if applied using a dual action polisher with either white or green Chemical guys hex-logic foam pad! Good luck! :)
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”