Wheel sealants and wax

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Smitten

Wheel sealants and wax

Post by Smitten » Sat May 18, 2019 4:11 pm

What do people use and have found the best for:
1. Cleaning?
2. Protecting?
To date I have been using whatever non acid based cleaner comes to hand and recently tried Autoglym Magma after a snow foam and found it quite good. Haven't sealed or protected my painted wheels beyond a quick detailed but thinking I should before winter.....
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

mik

Re: Wheel sealants and wax

Post by mik » Sat May 18, 2019 6:23 pm

I used Poorboys Wheel Sealant for years. It is good, but i found it only lasts about 4months. (Wheels are subject to a harsh time - heat from the brakes, and - since the top surface of your tyres is going at 2x whatever your road speed is - the spokes regularly oscillate between low and high air speeds with any airborne grit/debris/water/insects far more likely to cause damage).

After a recommendation i tried gtechniq c5 wheel armour though. Nanotech stuff. A bit of a painto apply, but I pu.t it on the Lotus wheels about 14 months ago amd it is still working. Imoressive stuff. 8-)

Edit: bilt hammer for cleaning purposes.
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

June16

Post by June16 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Poorboys for me too. Last about 6 months
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

p3eps

Post by p3eps » Mon May 20, 2019 6:37 am

I took my wheels off and cleaned / polished, then applied 3 coats of Poorboys Sealant. Took about 6 hours in total (2 fronts one evening, and 2 rears the next).

I’ve been reading about the Gtechniq C5 stuff and also Feynlab Wheel and Caliper protection - and will go with one of these next time. They cost a bit more, but seem to give a much longer protection.
F-Pace SVR - Collected 15/3/19

Barthog

Post by Barthog » Mon May 20, 2019 7:11 am

Gtechniq C5 then EXOv4 my choice!
Used both on my two F paces wheels look immaculate and clean easily.
Had my wheels off 2 hours after picking up latest before two much contamination brake dust etc.
Neighbours think I am barmy lol.
M19 3.0 S Caesium Blue, Black Pack, 10 Way/4 way lumbar/ Jet/Light Oyster, 20" Grey Blades, Pano roof, ICT Pro 380W,
Adap Dynamics, Keyless Entry, Rear View Cam, Privacy glass, Heated Screen/Jets, Service/Pack, Apple CarPlay, Tracker,
Born 3/10/18

Bimjob

Post by Bimjob » Mon May 20, 2019 9:42 pm

After taking advice from someone who knows a bit about this
I have used Williams Waterless Wax to polish and the result is wonderful to my eye.
I have to admit to cleaning on a weekly basis though.
However people are clearly using way more expensive kit than mine.
I would be happy to spend the money if the result was even half worth it. ;)
Look forward to the feedback.
Bimjob

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”