Car detailing/paint protection - worth the cash?

Detailing, Cleaning and Maintaining your F-Pace.
Littlewig

Re: Car detailing/paint protection - worth the cash?

Post by Littlewig » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:04 am

Looks great.
Arrived :D - 3.0d V6 S in Ammonite with 22" turbines, ADSr, ICTP 340w, mood lighting, 360 parking, panno roof, space saver, illuminated door steps, LED headlights, 14-way seats, winter pack and cup holder covers...

tonythehoolet

Post by tonythehoolet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:25 pm

I've taken the plunge. My F-pace arrived on Friday and dropped it off today to the detailers with pick up on Thursday. My detailer (http://refineddetails.co.uk/) uses a new ceramic coating called Kenolon Ceramic Shield that is new to UK market. Really looking forward to seeing it. Will post pictures when I pick it up (as long as it's dry).
AWD Auto Portfolio in dark sapphire blue, sliding roof, light oyster leather, driver memory pack, ICTP, space saver spare, cupholder cover and Kenolon ceramic shield paint protection.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:19 am

A point to note regarding these coatings...

While they are excellent and do work, based on my 6 months experience so far, however.....

Some will remember I had my rear valance 'colour coded' earlier this year.... A botch job which was apparently sorted by dealer three weeks ago, but although I got it back 're-finished' 10 days ago I noticed the paint is coming off yet again yesterday.... Add to that the 'tiger stripes' made by crude machine polishing all over the whole bumper, which now encroach onto the rear wings I really am one p*&&ed off bunny....

The re-painted area looks visibly different to the coated areas which is due to the deep shine the coating adds to the paint finish, so...

I contacted the detailer (prior to finding the paint starting to peel again...) to book in to have the coating re-applied to bumper only....

Cost to do whole car £720 ish (inc wheels)........ Cost to do bumper £450 - they charge a day rate.

Beware!!!!!

jagman2017

Post by jagman2017 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Oh yes very worth it
G techniq it’s amazing pics when first done and three months later

C405CD7A-C2BA-4083-8760-16D711210F31.png

1C01DB53-DE85-4D90-A64F-66988A0D09D6.jpeg

5F117D09-A734-4961-AA1F-4E278D93D4ED.png

CD30302C-C845-43A5-9094-4970A2493C6D.jpeg

2.0 Petrol R sport caesium Blue 22” Black wheels Black pack, puddle lights, 380 ict pro pack, ambient lighting, seats oyster & lime stitching,privacy glass.panoramic roof,glasses holder,10 way electric seats, xenon lights, sliding cup holder cover

Bluefire65

Post by Bluefire65 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:19 pm

I declined the offer of GardX for £595 and so the dealer left in on the sales invoice but upped the discount by £595, effectively including it for free. However, I had already contacted a local Detailer I have used in the past, with a view to having a ceramic coating applied, and been quoted a cost of £450, subject to the car being delivered to him with the transport protection still in place, as evidence that the car had not been washed. Otherwise, there could be additional charges for polishing out any marks. (His worst experience was a Bentley Flying Spur that took 14 hours of work to prepare).

Salesman's initial response to this proposal is that it's up to me whether I have the GardX applied but Company (Inchcape) protocols prevent him from handing over an unvaleted vehicle; on this he is adamant. I have not pressed on this point at this time or enquired on how it delivers the Company strategy of "Lead in Customer Experience" when it is against the Customer's wishes. I'll save that for when the car is built and ready for delivery.

Has anyone else encountered the same response from a dealer, Inchcape or not?
25T AWD R-Sport, Fuji White/Pimento + Black Side Vents, 18 way seats, BLISS, Surround Cameras, bits & bobs. Delivered May 2018

bensales

Post by bensales » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:43 pm

You should be able to get it unvaleted, but with the transport wrappings off. They'll want to remove them to check the car over to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. If you took it with the wrappings on, and there was hidden damage, it'd be a tricky argument.

I'd make sure they don't apply any Gardx coatings though, as that will make your detailer's job a lot harder. He'll have to polish that off, before he can actually polish the paint prior to applying your new coatings. So his price will go up. £450 at a good detailer is for a single stage polish and coating.
2018 XF-S Supercharged. In black. With extra black bits. And a bit more black.

Hydrajaws

Post by Hydrajaws » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:45 pm

£595 for GardX !!!!!I have just purchased the GardX material off E bay for £21 and spent a very pleasant 2 hours easily applying it to my new XF Sportbrake's
Caesium blue paintwork and it looks magnificent as the rainwater rolls off it.
Regretfully 2 Rejected F Paces behind me but now happily driving a 2018. 2.0 D 240 AWD XF Sportbrake in caesium blue.
Summer car 2006 XK 4.2 Convertible.

Bluefire65

Post by Bluefire65 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:29 pm

bensales wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:43 pm
You should be able to get it unvaleted, but with the transport wrappings off. They'll want to remove them to check the car over to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. If you took it with the wrappings on, and there was hidden damage, it'd be a tricky argument.

I'd make sure they don't apply any Gardx coatings though, as that will make your detailer's job a lot harder. He'll have to polish that off, before he can actually polish the paint prior to applying your new coatings. So his price will go up. £450 at a good detailer is for a single stage polish and coating.
Thanks for comments Bensales and I take your point about hiddden damage under wrappings and if I stick with ceramic treatment then I would waive GardX treatment.. Price is for 2 coats over 2 days, including polishing, fall out remover, Dr Leather Dye Block on seats and Scotchguard on carpets etc. ie a full inside and outside job, Prouct is either SiRamik or IGL system, not that they mean anything to me.
25T AWD R-Sport, Fuji White/Pimento + Black Side Vents, 18 way seats, BLISS, Surround Cameras, bits & bobs. Delivered May 2018

jagman2017

Post by jagman2017 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:08 am

Hi Tony
My wife’s car has the Gaurdx on it and it looks and works great.
Thought I would give The Gtehcniq a try when I bought our FPace
It’s also fantastic better by far than the Gaurdx
But twice the price but that said I did have the full car package in and out wheels off brake callipers etc done
Looks amazing and so easy to clean

3784C411-4564-4B42-8E91-7CFD398BD3D1.png

0E1B87D7-1DED-4A3A-9502-F7A1D0F62826.jpeg

2.0 Petrol R sport caesium Blue 22” Black wheels Black pack, puddle lights, 380 ict pro pack, ambient lighting, seats oyster & lime stitching,privacy glass.panoramic roof,glasses holder,10 way electric seats, xenon lights, sliding cup holder cover

Jags cat

Post by Jags cat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:28 am

Hi all, it is usually dealer procedure to ensure than no damage is apparent when the protective film is removed.
A friend of ours was waiting for his Skoda Octavia to arrive,... when it did and they removed the plastic from the roof ,..... a large section of paint came away with it!!!
He lucked though,.. because they couldn’t find replacement in the country in his spec and colour, they offered him an upgrade to a VRS at no cost.

So it does happen !!!
Regards JC.
Arrived,JA65 CAT plate, 2 ltr R-sport,ammonite grey, black pack, pano roof, 22" silver helix alloys, meridian upgrade, black/red interior, mood lighting, full size spare,rear camera, serv pack,H/screen, and anything else I can get pass the wife!

Return to “Detailing & Car Care”